Gransnet forums

Books/book club

How do you usually choose your next read, or three? [smile]

(23 Posts)
Sara65 Fri 19-Apr-19 21:44:38

Janeainsworth, I so agree, I often wish I was living in a Barbara Pym novel, when things get hectic!
As for new books, I listen to book reviews, spend ages on the Waterstones website, and of course, recommendations from friends and family.
Try to widen my literary horizons, but always go back to the old favourites

CanadianGran Fri 19-Apr-19 17:47:50

I belong to a book group, we take turns choosing. This has broadened by horizons a bit!
I use so many forms of recommendations; magazine recommendations, our local library "new arrivals' shelf, friends and literary award lists. We have read quite a few good Canadian authors; I try to support authors and publishers in Canada.
There is a list on my iPhone under Reminders where I jot down titles.

Charleygirl5 Fri 19-Apr-19 17:43:48

I meet a friend around every 6 weeks for lunch- we both read the same type of books- crime and detective series.

She romps through books spending days indoors reading. I will only read in bed at night so I do not read quite so many books. Where she lives she can buy new books very cheaply so she passes them on to me. The ones I buy in the charity shop I pass on to her.

luluaugust Fri 19-Apr-19 17:21:26

Pile of second hand books by the bed, goodness know how long it is going to take to get through them, people know I read a lot and pass them on.

Nannyxthree Fri 19-Apr-19 17:05:23

I usually take a pen and paper to the hairdressers and note any book recommendations from their magazines. Also check charity book shelves in supermarkets, coffee shops etc.
If I've read something I like then I usually look out for other titles. Lucinda Riley and Erica James are current favourites.

BrandyButter Fri 19-Apr-19 16:26:58

I read a lot so have a long list of authors I like and if they bring anything new out I get it reserved quickly at the local library. I also do a lucky dip and grab the first one that seems to reach out to me at the library or any charity shop I pass smile

gillybob Fri 19-Apr-19 16:21:40

I have just started Longbourn following your recommendation Elegran only managed about 8 pages last night as I couldn’t keep my eyes open . I tend to read books that are recommended on GN and in other reviews or those written by authors that I already know and enjoy . I currently have about 10 books in a kind of queue but often something new comes along and jumps straight to the front .

janeainsworth Fri 19-Apr-19 15:12:18

m.facebook.com/groups/362155487676262?ref=bookmarks
For anyone on FB this is a nice group to join.

janeainsworth Fri 19-Apr-19 15:08:22

Thanks Elegran not sure if you mean me or t'other jane or both of us but I'll put it on my list smile

Jane10 Fri 19-Apr-19 15:06:57

Longbourne was a good read Elegran although I think you meant the other Jane!
Barbara Pym writes lovely books. I do love social comedy.
Old books too are being re published and I'm really enjoying working my way through the DE Stevenson books. The peerless EF Benson remains my top favourite though.

TerriBull Fri 19-Apr-19 15:02:36

I've always got at least 10 books to read. I get my audios from my local library, where I'll pick up a crime or two book for my husband as well, or if I see something there that's on my constant "to read list" I'll get that out. I'm dreadful for picking up books at supermarkets cheaply, which is really bad of me because I should buy more from Waterstones, I'd hate it to disappear from the high street and be left with the abominable WH Smiths as the main shop for books. Other than that I'm always up for a recommendations from The Sunday Times Culture magazine, MN, or even GN such as "The Heart's Invisible Furies" and "Educated" plus a handful of others from those sources which have joined my "best ever reads" and one or two such as "Lincoln in the Bardo" that have joined the pile of "I wish I'd never started, it's robbed me of time I'll never get back"

I'm never without a book, usually a novel and sometimes a biography on the go together. At the moment it's Lucinda Riley's "The Moon Sister" and a biography about Mary Shelley. Oh and an audio book, "Milkman" I listen whilst doing a few yoga exercises and to get me off to sleep last thing.

SueDonim Fri 19-Apr-19 15:00:53

I seem to acquire books by osmosis! I don't know how so many end up in my house, but they do. confused I think I must just absorb information about books that appeal to me and then I may actually get them as gifts, or swapping with others, second hand copies, Kindle and my own book group. I don't use the library so much nowadays, which I do feel guilty about.

Toscalily if you're interested in what other Gransnetters are reading this is a good thread. www.gransnet.com/forums/books_book_club/1256218-Fifty-Books-a-Year-or-fewer

Elegran Fri 19-Apr-19 14:34:27

Jane Have you read "Longbourn" by Jo Baker? It is a servant's-eye view of the events of Pride and Prejudice, and a picture of Georgian life below stairs.

kittylester Fri 19-Apr-19 14:18:35

I read the book reviews in the papers, swap books with a few friends, swap with one daughter and look in the supermarket and Waterstones.

I rarely buy any magazines apart from things like Good Food.

janeainsworth Fri 19-Apr-19 14:06:06

I belong to a book group and we take it in turn to choose a book, and I've been taken out of my comfort zone quite a lot, which is a good thing.
But every so often when I want a nice relaxing read I turn back to the wonderful Barbara Pym.
I'm reading Jane and Prudence at the moment, for the umpteenth time smile

Elegran Fri 19-Apr-19 13:58:29

All of the above, plus the daily email listing 3 or 4 as Daily Deals from Amazon (about 99p for a Kindle version. One in six or so sounds as though it will be good, and on closer inspection about half of those are those are worth buying. Also those mentioned on Gransnet, of course.

Jane10 Fri 19-Apr-19 13:54:08

I've had some great tips from GN. Also Twitter and Amazon. I've always got something on the go plus about 4 or 5 teed up on my Kindle.

Marilla Fri 19-Apr-19 13:09:34

In the local library, I look to see what the various book groups are reading as their books are usually piled up waiting for collection. I also have a friend who enjoys similar books and we share titles. I find downloading a free sample from Amazon allows me to read a few pages to see if the storyline and writer’s style appeals.

Greenfinch Fri 19-Apr-19 11:52:21

We have a red telephone kiosk in our village where people donate books.It is supposed to be for swapping but it is absolutely jam packed at the moment. I usually find something I like there and try to read authors I don't know.Also DD passes on books she has enjoyed and sometimes I borrow a book from DH.I just nose around really.

shysal Fri 19-Apr-19 11:30:37

I always buy second hand books. When I hit on an authour that I particularly like I do an Ebay search and buy more from their list, from a charity seller if possible. We have a Swap Shop in the village every 2 months so I donate the read books not wanted by friends or family, and usually come away with a few others.

Charleygirl5 Fri 19-Apr-19 11:24:43

There are several authors whose books I like so to date I have waited until the latest book is in paperback form and therefore cheaper before I have bought it. I also scour a local charity shop.

Eglantine21 Fri 19-Apr-19 11:19:12

I guess a recommendation though I’m finding it harder and harder to find anything I want to read by a new author.

Oh for some quality writing without pretentiousness.

toscalily Fri 19-Apr-19 10:51:53

Would this be the latest blockbuster, a magazine new books reading list, displays at your local Library, a friends recommendation or perhaps a charity shop buy?