Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Audiobook recommendations

(22 Posts)
IAmWhatIAm Wed 31-Jul-19 18:30:45

I’ve just finished reading Jodi Picoult Dream Daughter and before that The Storyteller.
I enjoy mysteries also, nothing with too awful things happening or utter distress.
Have you particularly enjoyed something that you’d like to share? ?

GrandmaKT Wed 31-Jul-19 19:20:23

Have you read/ listened to 'The Trouble with Goats and Sheep' by Joanna Cannon? I've just finished listening to it on Kobo, narrated by Paula Wilcox.
It's a kind of mystery based around two ten year old girls in 1976 who are trying to solve the mystery of a missing neighbour.

lemongrove Wed 31-Jul-19 20:02:32

The Clothes They Stood Up In ( Alan Bennet)
Don’t listen to this when driving though, it’s funny and you are likely to drive into a hedge.?

Daddima Wed 31-Jul-19 20:04:36

I enjoyed a couple of Bill Bryson books , especially ‘ The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid’ with my free Audible subscription.

IAmWhatIAm Wed 31-Jul-19 20:39:46

I’ve not listened to any of these thank you so much I will try them out.
Funny is great - I could do with a good guffaw!!

Namsnanny Wed 31-Jul-19 23:18:31

I didn't listen to it on cd but The trouble with goats and sheep, was really a good read!

gmarie Thu 01-Aug-19 00:15:29

My favorite mystery author is Peter Grainger. I love his DC Smith series. Also like Peter Galbraith (JK Rowling)'s Cormoran Strike series.

gmarie Thu 01-Aug-19 00:35:12

I like that several novels featuring older people have come out in recent years and several are quite good: The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper; A Man Called Ove; The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry.

I love science fiction but even if someone doesn't care for the genre, Connie Willis' books, Blackout and All Clear, are very entertaining, especially as they contain elements of historical fiction.

Liz46 Thu 01-Aug-19 06:07:39

I don't normally 'nap' but when I have tried an audiobook, it puts me to sleep!

IAmWhatIAm Tue 06-Aug-19 09:49:32

Goodness I think I’d be a wreck without my audiobooks to keep me entertained while I get on with my day!

BradfordLass72 Wed 07-Aug-19 05:21:25

I have eclectic tastes so there should be something here for everyone.

Shakespeare's restless world by Neil MacGregor. What life was like in Old Will's day.

Falco : the complete BBC Radio collection / Lindsey Davis.
This is a BBC play but any of Lindsey Davis' books are brilliant.

The First Fleet by Rob Mundle - how the first British people came to Australia.

Pearls before poppies: the story of the Red Cross pearls by Rachel Trethewey.

Hitman Anders and the meaning of it all by Jonas Jonasson.
Funny and silly book for a bit of light reading.

Before Wallis : Edward VIII's other women by Rachel Trethewey.
Fascinating look into the love life (nothing too raunchy) of a very sad man.

Centuries of change by Ian Mortimer.
The time traveller's guide to Elizabethan England. by Ian Mortimer who has written a whole series of Time Traveller books about different eras of English history. An insight into the ordinary person's life, rather than the royals.

The silk roads : a new history of the world / Peter Frankopan

China rich girlfriend by Kevin Kwan.
Very tongue in cheek, quite funny story about the mega-rich, mega shallow Asian rich brats.

The adventure of English. Melvy Bragg

Stalin's had it now! James Stevenson. The story of young men training as pilots in WW2

The lighthouse keeper's daughter by Hazel Gaynor
Grace Darling the heroine who saved lives.

The power of the crone : myths and stories of the wise woman archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estés.

There are many of the old BBC drama series on disc as well.

CanadianGran Wed 07-Aug-19 06:36:52

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, by Alan Bradley

There is a whole series of mysteries set in 1950's England, and this is the first. It won the Dagger Award for a debut author. The narrator has also won awards for her delightful rendition of the characters.

Francis Wed 07-Aug-19 11:27:56

I still cant get used to audio books, i much prefer having a book in my hand to read. maybe i should try some of these suggestions

GreatauntieLinda Fri 09-Aug-19 17:20:29

I purchase Audible books. One of my favourite recent purchase is "Great North Road" - Peter F. Hamilton. Tremedous mystery, futuristic and amazing. Its set me off to read other Peter F. Hamilton books.

BradfordLass72 Sat 10-Aug-19 01:32:32

I've been looking for some of these recommendations but my library doesn't have them in audio CD, only in e-books, which I can't manage.

Two more for the list.

'Inspector McLevy' - by David Ashton. A BBC series of little plays, set in Leith. Nice to hear aunthentic Scottish accents.

'The Rivals' - by Chris Harrad. Again, BBC dramas but Harrod has sought out lesser-known detectives and their authors who were contemporaries of Conan Doyle/Sherlock Holmes and featured their stories, as told by Inspector Lestrade.

adnilc Mon 19-Aug-19 09:23:57

I read her other novel Three Things About Elsie and highly recommended it.

littleflo Mon 19-Aug-19 10:11:10

Mrs Sinclair suitcase
Hotel du lac
The travels of Maudie tipstaff
Miss. Buncle’s book
Howard’s end
Chocolate wishes
I capture the castle
Enemies of the heart
Villa on the riviera
The magnificent Mrs May new
One quiet woman

Favourite authors are
Patricia wentwoth
D E Stevenson
Angela thirkle
R F delderfield
Rachel Hore
Rosamund pitcher
Marcia willett
Elizabeth Edmundson
Ann granger

MiniMoon Mon 19-Aug-19 10:37:35

The Rosie Project
The Rosie Effect
The Rosie Result, all by Graham Simsion.

The Girl who saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson.

Of course, anything by Terry Pratchett.
And for something different,
The Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor.

Gfplux Sun 20-Oct-19 19:46:54

I have read books all of my life. About 10 years ago I discovered Podcasts which I listened to on my phone. I then added to my listening audio books from the library.
Last December my wife bought me a years subscription to Audible which was for 12 books (credits) over 12 months.
This membership allows you to consider many special offers for extra payments. Often this is £1.99 and £2.99 for full length audiobooks. I have bought quite a few.
With audiobooks I have found myself revisiting some of my past favourites and have found some new ones such as,

Stephen Booth
Harlan Coban
Ann Cleaves
Michael Connolly
Jo Nesbø
John le Carrè
Patricia Cornwell
Frederick Forsyth
John Grisham
Stieg Larson only books 1,2 and 3
Ruth Rendell

In addition I can recommend podcasts
Brexitcast
Drama of the week (BBC)
Starship Sofa
The NewYorker
The Truth

Sorry for such a long list, it could have been longer!

BradfordLass72 Sun 20-Oct-19 20:57:34

If anyone likes novels with no swearing, no vulgarity, just a gentle (if sometimes a little elitist) wander through life, D E Stevenson is an author enjoying resurgence.

Dorothy Emily writes about life for army wives, mainly biding in, or posted to Scotland.

Her books have an authentic ring as she too was married to an officer in the 6th Ghurkha Rifles.

Gfplux Sat 26-Oct-19 19:57:25

Just started The Little Drummer Girl by John Le Carré. Very gripping after first chapter. Total length +/-20 hours.
I am familiar with the plot as I saw this on BBC about a year ago.

SallyB392 Thu 07-Nov-19 18:09:41

Thank you for all these suggestions, I used to be an avid reader, but following a number of strokes I struggle to read, and my memory is really poor. Listening to Audio books is a recently discovered means of maintaining my love of books.