Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Autobiographies

(27 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Thu 28-Nov-19 14:05:37

Anyone out there love to read autobiographies, is there anyone’s you have read that you have been disappointed with. Or really enjoyed more than you expected to. I remember reading one particular comedians book whom I thought came across very arrogant

TerriBull Sun 26-Apr-20 15:02:03

I've read "Educated" and "Bad Blood", also Keith Richards. I was given the following, Patty Boyd's which gave a good insight into the 1960s when she was right at the beating heart of that. a favourite decade of mine, the late Clarissa Dixon-Wright's which I quite enjoyed a contemporary of Patty Boyd's, how different they were! and Barbara Hulaniki founder of Biba, one of my friends sourced that one and sent it to me one birthday to remind me of how we mainly window shopped in her flagship store when we were 17 or 18, haven't read any heavy weight ones or politicians' memoirs.

I've read more biographies than autos, Two I really enjoyed were "The Unequalled Self" Claire Tomalin on Samuel Pepys, fascinating! and Margaret Forster's of Daphne Du Maurier. Plus numerous ones on Dickens, Hardy, Queen Victoria, Georgiana Duchess of Devonshire, Mary Shelley, Byron various Tudor and Stuart kings and queens, plus interesting people from history. I can't imagine picking up an autobiography on any of the current crop of non entities z listers, footballers, ghost written and usually produced to prop up a flagging career.

Sussexborn Sun 26-Apr-20 13:19:59

Real treat in store for those who read autobiographies. Meghan and Harry are working on theirs apparently. I wonder if they will end up in Poundland like Tony Blair’s?

fevertree Sun 26-Apr-20 13:04:11

Educated (Tara Westover). I couldn't put it down. It reads like a thriller.

Travel Light, Move Fast (Alexandra Fuller). Made me realise just how "British" the then Rhodesias were.

The Girl Who Smiled Beads (Clementine Wamariya). Fascinating book.

I seldom read "celebrity" memoirs.

Harris27 Sun 26-Apr-20 11:27:22

I’m a big rod Stewart fan but wasn’t that keen on his book. Same reason. Still like his music though. Paul ogradys weremfab.

eazybee Sun 26-Apr-20 11:22:59

Lorna Sage: Bad Blood
Lyn Barber: An Education
Jenni Murray:Memoirs of a Not So Dutiful 'Daughter
All very interesting and well written, but be warned, all seem to despise their mothers, as many clever women do, Vera Britten being a prime example.

Jane10 Sun 26-Apr-20 10:23:42

Peter Ustinov 'Dear Me'. I loved it. (And him!)

timetogo2016 Sun 26-Apr-20 10:18:33

I read David Nivens Bring on the empty horses.
It was brilliant and very funny.
Also Julie Walters is a good read.
David Walliams was just OK.

netflixfan Sun 26-Apr-20 10:10:22

I loved Matt Lucas autobiography. I had it on a talking book. It’s funny and moving. Whimsical!

speedwaysue Sun 22-Mar-20 12:00:15

Years ago I read Michael Crawford’s autobiography, Parcel arrived safely tied with string. It was a brilliant read, it has always stayed in my memory.

mary51 Sat 21-Mar-20 16:08:58

I read Henry Cole's A Bikers Life recently. Very readable and he's had such an interesting life. I love his motor bike programme s and can watch them again and again.

rosecarmel Sat 21-Mar-20 16:03:25

Bossy Pants by Tina Fey is very funny as is Still Foolin' 'Em: Where I've Been, Where I'm Going, and Where the Hell Are My Keys? by Billy Crystal

May7 Sat 21-Mar-20 15:39:34

Rod Stewart's book is really dull. Hes so full of himself. I went right off him.

Paul Ogradys is very insightful
and loved Becoming Michelle Obama

pinkquartz Sat 21-Mar-20 14:57:51

Testament of Youth one of my most favourite books ever.

A lot of celeb's these day don't actually write their own books.

The Moon's A Balloon was fab. i sort of enjoyed reading

rockgran Sat 21-Mar-20 14:52:34

My local book club recently did "autobiographies" and I read Julie Walters'. It was excellent and I really enjoyed the fact that many of her memories are also mine as we are the same age.

Floradora9 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:34:22

There are loads to read on Kindle Unlimited.

Gaunt47 Fri 20-Mar-20 22:16:35

Vera Brittain's 'Testament of Youth'. So so moving, I cry every time I read it. But I don't often read autobiographies.

Gemini17892 Fri 20-Mar-20 21:20:29

Just re read Hilary Mantel’s Giving up the Ghost .I love her writing

Beechnut Mon 02-Dec-19 07:51:56

I’ve recently read Lily Allen and not enjoyed. I did enjoy years ago reading Murray Walker.

Ginny42 Mon 02-Dec-19 07:29:07

I agree about Niven's BBbevan. Very well written with a nice sense of humour. Have you read the second part of his autobiography - Bring on the Empty Horses.' ? I think I'll re-read them too. Will buy Ken Clarke's if they have it in Waterstone's when I go to town tomorrow.

oldgimmer1 Mon 02-Dec-19 07:13:55

Another vote for Ken Clarke's.

A very interesting account of how politics has developed in recent times, and the personalities involved.

He's done pretty much every job apart from pm!.

BBbevan Mon 02-Dec-19 03:55:02

The best one I ever read was David Niven's "The Moon's a Balloon ". Very well written and funny. I think I'll try to find it again

TrendyNannie6 Sun 01-Dec-19 22:45:08

I haven’t read that one NotTooOld, I will add it to my list. I’ve read Keith Richards KatyK also Mick jaggers, also Jo woods, totally agree that frank skinners was a let down

Curlywhirly Thu 28-Nov-19 16:46:13

I read Frank Skinner's and had to leave it unfinished - I thought he came across as a bit full of himself and quite boastful. On the other hand, read Paul O'Grady's, which was really enjoyable and very interesting; it was also very funny!

KatyK Thu 28-Nov-19 15:12:06

The Keith Richards one is fascinating. How he's still here I have no idea. He seems kind and fair. I have read a few of the '60s rock people - Patti Boyd and Marianne Faithfull's were also good.

NotTooOld Thu 28-Nov-19 14:58:58

I like 'em, Trendy. I'm reading Ken Clarke's political memoir, Kind of Blue, at the moment. Contrary to my expectations it is very interesting and has taught me a lot about current politics, both blue and red. It's written in simple language and unlike lots of political books does not contain long boring lists of various Acts of Parliament and so on. It is quite gossipy in places, especially about Margaret Thatcher and several other familiar names. I recommend it but you will finish it feeling that Mrs Clark had a lot to put up with!