Gransnet forums

Books/book club

American Dirt: February Book Club

(84 Posts)
SarahCGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 27-Jan-20 12:24:09

Hi gransnetters,

This month's book club pick is American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins.

The books should be arriving with the winners shortly. If you get a free copy, make sure you leave your questions and comments for Jeanine on this thread by the end of Febuary.

We're really excited to hear what you all think - please feel free to join the conversation even if you didn't get sent a giveaway copy.

Happy reading from GNHQ!

Urmstongran Mon 27-Jan-20 12:32:03

I bought it last week on my Kindle.

harrigran Tue 28-Jan-20 08:42:06

I used to love reading and writing about the monthly book, must be well over a year since I received one.
Downside to having such a large membership is that you no longer get a look in when it comes to competitions.

Hatiltas Wed 29-Jan-20 13:40:17

I bought it some days ago!

granfromafar Tue 04-Feb-20 10:20:55

Just received a copy of this book which was a lovely surprise as did not have an email saying that I was a winner!. Looking forward to reading it. Thanks to GN.

gma Tue 04-Feb-20 11:27:06

What a lovely surprise just now when my copy of American Dirt arrived! I almost bought it yesterday in Waterstones with one of my Christmas book tokens, but so glad I didn’t!! Can’t wait to start reading it, housework can always wait a day or two!!
Many thanks gransnet, I will send in my review!!!

Persistentdonor Tue 04-Feb-20 13:43:06

Yippee! I received a copy today too.
Brilliant.
Many thanks GN.
I will read and report.

mrsHom Tue 04-Feb-20 13:49:36

Got my copy today. A lovely surprise - looking forward to reading it as soon as I have finished my library 'fastback'.

Mapleleaf Tue 04-Feb-20 13:58:00

I've received my copy of American Dirt today and will review it as soon as I've read it.
Many thanks GN.

janiceanne Tue 04-Feb-20 14:30:25

A lovely surprise - I've just received a copy of 'American Dirt'.
Thank you Gransnet. Looking forward to reading it just as soon as possible.

Marydoll Tue 04-Feb-20 15:21:41

I got one today, I didn't think I had a chance.

gillyknits Tue 04-Feb-20 15:23:34

Thank you for my copy that arrived today. I will get started on it as soon as I can!

Flamingo Tue 04-Feb-20 17:50:53

A lovely surprise to receive a copy of American Dirt, thank you

Harris27 Tue 04-Feb-20 17:55:38

I received. I’ve today will get cracking and get back to you.

lucywinter Tue 04-Feb-20 18:08:59

I'm reading this at the moment! It's great. But there has been a lot of controversy about it. Look online.

mrswoo Wed 05-Feb-20 10:23:18

Thankyou for my copy, it was a lovely surprise as I had no idea that it was on the way. I’m looking forward to reading it and letting you know my thoughts.

hulahoop Wed 05-Feb-20 18:55:27

Have just recieved copy looks good .

Buddie Thu 06-Feb-20 14:07:54

Many thanks for a copy of American Dirt. Can't wait to get started but must finish off library book before tomorrow first.

eGJ Thu 06-Feb-20 14:08:58

Mine was waiting me when I got in last night; reading f3st coming on!

obag Thu 06-Feb-20 16:38:09

Got my copy yesterday, can't wait to start it.

Hameringham Sat 08-Feb-20 13:19:07

Many Thanks. Book arrived today and I am look forward to a good read.

Liska Sat 08-Feb-20 16:29:06

I was delighted to receive a copy of American Dirt as part of the February Book Club. I have to admit that this isn't the type of book I'd usually pick up but I'm glad I got the chance to read it.

I thought the book was a harrowing but important read - a poignant reminder that migrants are humans, with thoughts and feelings like anyone else. I enjoyed the focus on the personal stories of the characters. These stories touched me on an emotional level and made me give a much deeper level of thought and consideration to the plight of migrants around the world.

My question for the author:

The main character, Lydia, is an avid reader who ran her own bookstore prior to fleeing Acapulco. As a reader, I quickly developed a connection with her as I too enjoy reading. Was there a specific reason you chose this career for Lydia? Did you intend or hope for readers to develop a personal connection to Lydia in this way?

eGJ Tue 11-Feb-20 07:55:38

A page turner heart wrenching read. Like liska I might not have picked this up in a bookshop, but I am pleased to have read a fictional version of the long journey and deprivations of migrants wanting a new peaceful, safe life.
I would like to ask Jeanine if she envisages a follow up (maybe a short story this time) I am sure we all want to know how life unfolds for both Lydia and Luca. Do they eventually get a Green Card or do they remain undocumented?

TerriBull Tue 11-Feb-20 08:24:04

A friend is lending it to me when she gets it back from another friend, allegedly it's very good, I hope it lives up to the hype surrounding it, it appears to be one of the books of the moment. Look forward to reading it.

obag Thu 13-Feb-20 09:31:27

A book I would have passed by, but so glad I got to read it. Heart wrenching, thought provoking tale that is so poignant.I too would like to know if there will be a follow up.
Thanks for my copy.