Gransnet forums

Books/book club

American Dirt: February Book Club

(85 Posts)
SarahCGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 27-Jan-20 12:24:09

Hi gransnetters,

This month's book club pick is American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins.

The books should be arriving with the winners shortly. If you get a free copy, make sure you leave your questions and comments for Jeanine on this thread by the end of Febuary.

We're really excited to hear what you all think - please feel free to join the conversation even if you didn't get sent a giveaway copy.

Happy reading from GNHQ!

JeanineCummins Tue 31-Mar-20 15:08:26

GeminiJen

Before I knew that I would receive a copy of this book, I listened to an interview with the author by Mariella Frostrup on Open Book, and decided on that basis to buy a copy. I then went off on holiday for just over two weeks, and returned to find American Dirt among my mail [Thank you, GN!] I mention the interview here because it was both informative and thought provoking. It’s available on BBC Sounds. The novel is to feature as Book of the Week in April.
During the interview, the author stated that she hoped that readers would have empathy with the migrants, to see them as fellow human beings. It is a testament to her skills in writing and research that this is so fully accomplished. It’s been a long time since I read a novel that made me feel so emotionally invested in its key characters - Lydia and Luca, Soledad and Rebeca. Gripping from beginning to end, the almost heart stopping fear and brutality of some events are juxtaposed with the kindnesses that the migrants encounter on parts of their journey. I found it difficult to put down and read it over two days and well into the night, where it went on to inhabit my dreams.
Above all, it’s the authenticity of this novel that will stay with me. That and the imagery: e.g. of ‘your body as a cuerpomatico’; removing their dilapidated footwear ‘con un olor a queso’; and even the odd flash of anti Trump humour, referring to his mispronunciation off ‘bad hombres’ as ‘bad hambres’.
In addition to its qualities as a novel, American Dirt is a well researched exposé of the plight of migrants and the enormous hurdles they must overcome. The ‘Author’s Note’ at the end presents statistics on the annual numbers of migrant deaths, noting that “the available statistics are likely only a fraction of the real number of deaths, given that they exclude the many migrants who simply disappear each year”.
My question for the author: Given the nature of Trump’s America, did you ever waiver in your decision to publish this book or regret doing so? And have you or your family felt personally at risk as a result?

The publication of this book has been tremendously fraught, and the intensity of the debate surrounding it has, at times, given me pause. But ultimately, I feel mostly gratified by the response to the book. While it certainly seems to have touched a nerve I didn’t intend to touch, my hope is that the resulting conversations will bear fruit. And in the meantime, the book is also, I believe, still having the effect on readers that I always
hoped it would have. It’s encouraging people to engage more intimately with a story that, previously, they may not have been so interested in. So I will stick with what I told my
husband before the book came out: If there’s even a chance this novel can contribute something beneficial to the way readers think about migrants, then it’s worth the risk. I hope it’s a net positive.

JeanineCummins Tue 31-Mar-20 15:10:49

TerriBull

I always think the measure of a good book are the ones that stay with you long after you've long put them down. I read quite a lot, most books, enjoyable in the moment, soon to be forgotten. American Dirt certainly wasn't one of those for me. Lydia's uphill struggle to protect her child and the insurmountable battle to the relative safety of "El Norte" is indeed heart stopping and the bond she forms with Soledad and Rebeca along the way are written to great effect.

I went Mexico over 15 years ago and was bowled over by it, we visited some of the ancient Mayan sites and eco parks where the flora and fauna and marine life are in abundance, the country is beautiful and the people we met were welcoming. It's been alarming to read year on year how the vice like grip of the cartels has escalated and the violence is endemic, in that the book is highly believable. Can't help wondering why little Costa Rica is such an oasis of peace and calm, when the countries that surround it all appear to be immersed in the evils of drug cartels, femicide and other horrors that pertain to such a dark underbelly of the criminal world. My question to Jeanine Cummins, because clearly, from her notes at the end of the books she has researched the subject in detail, would be just that, why, in her opinion is there this one country where seemingly the tentacles of the drug cartels hasn't reached. It is a tourist destination, but then again so is Mexico. I've also read that Columbia has managed to turn a corner and it's not such a dangerous place anymore. What would it take for Mexico and the rest of central America to do the same. It just seems that their governments cannot get a handle on the cartels they are too powerful and far reaching and everyone, literally everyone is in their pockets. How tragic to lose so many of it's citizens to murder and so many more in fear of their lives, like Lydia and her son the only option left open to them is to undertake such a journey and overcome umpteen dangerous and almost impossible obstacles to reach relative safety, if they ever do, and then have to live a life under the radar in constant fear of deportation.

Wonderful book, I'm passing it my husband now I'm sure he will enjoy it too. As I was reading, I was thinking "this is quite filmic, I can see a movie coming down the line"

Best read since "The Heart's Invisible Furies" that's a high bar for me.

If I knew the answer to this question, I wouldn’t be writing novels for a living. I’d be working for the CIA! But my suspicion is that nothing is as simple as it seems. We are all, in the Americas, an interdependent ecosystem of cultures and governments and people. We are all, to varying degrees, responsible for, and effected, by the international drug trade. I don’t know why some places appear to get off easier than others. But as you indicate in your question, everything is in constant flux. While one city or country may have a period of relative calm while the violence concentrates elsewhere, within a few years, change comes and everything morphs again. Until we find multinational political solutions, I fear that pattern will continue.

JeanineCummins Tue 31-Mar-20 15:11:45

granh2

Thanks for the book. I was not sure whether I wanted to read it, but found it a very moving and compulsive read. Lydia is a normal woman in Mexico, with a job in a book shop and family. Her life falls apart and she has to flee the country with her young son to avoid violence and potential death.
The story charts her flight from Mexico to the USA, with the problems she faces - each of which could have been the end of her story. Along the way, she faces hardship but also experiences kindness and friendship.
I think the main message of the book is that not all migrants are involved with drugs, or are economic migrants, but are ordinary people who are caught up with circumstances beyond their control.
The book is concerned with Mexicans trying to get into America, but the same applies to other countries e.g. Syrians trying to get into Europe. Even great Britain is now involved with anti immigrant, xenophobic rhetoric. Behind each single individual there is a story, as with Lydia, and not always happy endings.. People die, people disappear and nobody cares. More people should read this book.
I would have liked to know what happened to Lydia and her son. Were they accepted, or did they have to contend with hostility after all the effort of escaping. Does the author intend to extend the story?

Thank you for your kind words, and again, I will refer to my answer above. But I would also love to know what readers think. What happens to these characters after the book? Do they live next door to you? Do they take the risk and apply for asylum? (Although all of them are good candidates, if their applications are denied, they will be deported). Is it safer for them just to remain undocumented, with all the attendant vulnerabilities of that kind of life?

One thing I know for sure: Luca will be okay. He has to be.

JeanineCummins Tue 31-Mar-20 15:12:44

aspella

Thanks for my copy of American Dirt, I've not come across Jeanine Cummins before. The story was thought provoking and stayed with me long after I'd finished reading it. I can't say I enjoyed it though purely because of the subject matter but it was an interesting read and I'll be seeing if my local library has any of Jeanine's previous books.

The sheer quantity of Spanish words and phrases within the book became a distraction and a nuisance as I was trying to translate them, some were easy to decipher however some required googling, thus the book requires a second reading.

Therefore my question is:
Why didn't you include a glossary of Spanish words at the beginning of the book?

This would have been a challenge for production because of the number of pages, but I intended to provide a glossary on my website. With all the hoopla surrounding the publication, I forgot. So now I guess I know what I’m going to be doing this weekend!

almostelderly Tue 31-Mar-20 15:20:05

I have just finished reading American Dirt and it was excellent, gripping and thought provoking. I now have a greater understanding of the plights of migrants, despite the work being fiction. It is also interesting to read about the criticism and backlash to which the author has been subjected. The main criticism appears to be her ethnicity and perceived lack of understanding of Mexico. Her critics seem to forget it is a work of fiction.

GeminiJen Wed 01-Apr-20 15:43:30

JeanineCummins Thank you so much for your responses to the questions raised. For me, that's the best bit about the GN Bookclub: the opportunity to engage with an author. All the more so when an author responds in the thoughtful and considered way in which you have done. Thank you flowers
Thanks too to GN for featuring this book.

Harris27 Mon 06-Apr-20 11:40:57

American dirt nit really my type of book at first glance. However started to read it and it was unstoppable reading and I could not put it down, had to keep rereading bits just so the gripping bits kept going in!itwasnt my typical book before bed but the images it made up in my head and the next what will happen ? Left me wanting to read on. Thank you for my copy.

chelseababy Mon 06-Apr-20 12:30:47

Not read full thread but they s book is being serialised on radio 4 starting today at 12.05 or 22.45.

Corkie91 Mon 06-Apr-20 13:07:39

An enjoyable book heart breaking. Loved that it was from a woman's perspective. Will there be a follow up as to how Lydia and her daughter settle in the USA and do they get a green card without problems. I have recommended the book to many of my friends and passed it onto my daughter to read.