Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Books to educate about racism

(75 Posts)
EllieBrum Thu 04-Jun-20 14:55:22

Hi. I don't post often, and am more of a 'lurker' on threads, but following the horrific murder of George Floyd, and the important conversations that are currently happening across social media, I'm wanting to educate myself more about racism in the UK, and I hope others are too.

Do any gransnetters have any books that they'd recommend about racism or by BME authors? Thanks in advance flowers

Aadamzahra2 Sun 31-Jan-21 18:24:51

'Pamela the pilot'- great children's illustrated story book. Pamela is a female black pilot who is also a mother..she has a partner who looks after their twin boys whilst she is at work. The book tells the story of her realistic work trip in a child friendly manner- this book can help to mitigates sexism and racism in young children whilst allowing them to dream big.

www.ruksanamrahman.com

Soozikinzi Mon 28-Dec-20 10:45:51

Came on to recommend Jodi Picoult s ‘Small great things’ but I can see it’s already been mentioned .So I can endorse it . Apart from anything else it’s a great read .

Aruna51 Fri 23-Oct-20 13:43:39

Aepgirl

Why do we need books to tell us how not to be racist? Treat everybody with respect regardless of colour, race, gender, mode of dress.

That's all very well to say. The problem, really, is that books are usually filled with white characters with maybe a black side-kick for the sake of diversity, and that's it. This prevents white readers from ever learning about other cultures, how it actually feels to live in a black (or brown) skin, and so on. Fiction helps us to understand, to get into the shoes of another person with a different background; at the moment this works primarily in one direction. As a young girl with dark skin growing up in a British colony, ALL the books I read, from Enid Blyton to the Bobbsey Twins and onward, hat white characters. There was never a dark-skinned character or anyone from a culture outside of America or Britain. This only strengthened my idea that being dark was somehow inferior, that we do not even deserve to be written about. On the flip side, we learnt what it's like to be white and how white people experience themselves; trust me, there's a difference!

That's one of the reasons that, as I grew older, I became a writer, and now I have several published novels, some of them with a full cast of dark-skinned people in a non-European setting, others with a mixed cast.

I'd be happy to post some of my titles here, if it is allowed and not discounted as self-promotion... May I?

LCoy Thu 06-Aug-20 10:45:29

Patricia Williams' books. She was one of the first black law profs in an ivy leagye

Jishere Sat 06-Jun-20 01:11:42

Misty Black Lives Matter as well as being a slogan is an organisation it's been around for years it hasn't just reared its head. It's an ongoing problem which needs everyone's support to fight the injustices. All lives matter is a slogan but has no organisation attached to it, at the moment BLM.

SueDonim Sat 06-Jun-20 00:22:17

Good analogy, Doodledog.

I’m getting fed up of people saying ‘all lives matter‘ because it’s minimising what black people are experiencing and it’s dismissing their concerns. Clearly, when you look at the figures on almost every aspect for the US, black lives are considered less valuable than those of white people in particular. The US isn’t the only country with that attitude but the prevalence of violence in that country brings it into stark relief.

By saying all lives matter it is shutting down the debate about the problem and stopping us from attempting to improve the situation.

Doodledog Fri 05-Jun-20 22:54:20

Saying 'All Lives Matter', particularly at a time like this, is like saying 'All Houses Matter' when the one next door is on fire.

In a case such as that, the obvious place to send the resources at the time would be to the burning house, surely? Would you honestly expect the Fire Brigade to hose down yours too, rather than use the available water to put out the fire next door?

misty34 Fri 05-Jun-20 22:28:31

I can only say I personally don't like the Black Lives Matter campaign motto. Surely All Lives Matter would be better. We are all in this together and this slogan just widens the gap.

SueDonim Fri 05-Jun-20 21:36:10

Sorry, I missed that. blush

What about Brit(ish) by Afua Hirsch.

www.amazon.co.uk/Brit-ish-Race-Identity-Belonging/dp/1784705039/ref=pd_lpo_14_t_1/261-3802754-2953001?psc=1&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_wg=DCz9h&pf_rd_r=HJBNZ6JDZE8ZZ84KNYVT&pd_rd_i=1784705039&pd_rd_w=X0alP&tag=gransnetforum-21&refRID=HJBNZ6JDZE8ZZ84KNYVT&pd_rd_r=d5c204c4-7964-4815-901b-6c960ca4e872

Whitewavemark2 Fri 05-Jun-20 21:35:52

I realise I am showing my age in my recommendations??

Jishere Fri 05-Jun-20 21:34:40

Maybe OP did want books but these documents bring racislim up to date and allow everyone a glimpse of why Black lives matter are overflowing with anger and why they have a need to be out on the streets videoing every time a black person is arrested. Poor George wasn't the first, I really hope he is the last.
Urmstongran Black lives matter isn't just a slogan it's an international organisation against violence and systemic racism towards black people . All lives matter is just a slogan unless you know of what organisation it stands for?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 05-Jun-20 21:29:46

It is good to read writing from a perspective other than white and western.

I can recommend China Achebe, his books were often about the changing face of African culture, as a result of colonialisation. The impact of Christianity in traditional society.

You can follow those folk taken as slaves by the British from Nigeria and that east coast of Africa,- Senegal, Mali, Nigeria etc. to the Caribbean. Randy Brown - Surviving slavery in the British Caribbean .

From there you could begin to explore how and why the African slave began to arrive in the U.K. Emancipation etc.

You would be on good ground to begin to understand the black history.

Racism is another layer. Which can be read from fiction or academic work.

For a more academic understanding as an alternative to fiction, I would recommend writings by Professor Stuart Hall.
He was a cultural theorist and wrote about racism.

Callistemon Fri 05-Jun-20 20:58:31

Sorry- a lovely man,

Callistemon Fri 05-Jun-20 20:58:04

I think the OP wanted British books about any racism in the UK.

Memoirs of a Black Englishman by Paul Stephenson OBE.

I haven't read it but I have seen him on local TV, a lovely committed to good race relations.

karinu Fri 05-Jun-20 20:41:08

I don’t think anyone’s mentioned Jody Picoult’s
Small Great Things” . Just finished it, and it’s a very good read
and opened my eyes to the US justice system’s treatment of
black people.

Jishere Fri 05-Jun-20 19:54:55

Another good document NYPD biggestganginnewyork bbc. This starts with a guy filming his friend obviously unsure what he should do as the police hold his friend down on the ground and his saying the same thing as George, 'I can't breathe,' as he is kneed in the neck and dies. The policeman doesn't get charge. The victim was being held for a minor offence.
So sad when nobody learns and nothing has changed.

SueDonim Fri 05-Jun-20 17:48:55

Saying ‘all lives matter‘ is an easy way of minimalising or dismissing the particular issues that black people face. It shows that one doesn’t want to face up to the reality, maybe because it’s more comfortable that way.

I think I said earlier, or maybe on another thread, I’ve had to do a lot of learning lately about this but I feel I am getting closer to understanding it. Obviously as a white person I can never truly understand but I try to educate myself and do the right thing.

This article explains why all lives matter is not a good slogan.

www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/a32745051/what-black-lives-matter-means/

Elrel Fri 05-Jun-20 17:48:50

`I was just sent a link to yesmagazine.org.opinion/2017/09/08/my-white-friend-asked-me-on-facebook-to-explain-white-privilege-i-decided-to-be-honest/

Also Penguin Books have an online newsletter which includes a list of books about racism Which arrived today.

Elrel Fri 05-Jun-20 17:31:33

penguin-group.msgfocus.com/c/1bkxChEoegzKtxzF5Y1Hvs26aZ
Hope I’ve done this right! Today I had a Penguin email with a section of relevant books.
I may have linked the
entire newsletter, sorry!

Elrel Fri 05-Jun-20 17:23:28

Urmstongran - The point is that there are still too many people whose attitude and behaviour shows a lack of respect for BAME lives. This does not happen to white peoples who can take for granted rights which BAME people can’t, this is white privilege, many of us have never fully recognised that we have it.
To the poster who was fed up with ‘isms’ - yes, let’s strive to get rid of them all and treat everyone with respect!

Fennel Fri 05-Jun-20 17:20:09

"Just be kind and courteous to everyone if possible. That should do it."
I agree, Greciangirl.

Urmstongran Fri 05-Jun-20 16:59:11

I agree.
I don’t like the slogan ‘Black Lives Matter’.
I think it ought to be ‘All Lives Matter’.
Because they do.

‘Pigeon English’ is a poignant novel to read.
It made me cry.

Greciangirl Fri 05-Jun-20 16:11:48

Apparently, George floyd refused to get out of his car so police had to manhandle him, which resulted in him being on the ground.

Obviously, what happened next was terrible.

I don’t need books on racism.
Just be kind and courteous to everyone if possible. That should do it.

Fennel Fri 05-Jun-20 16:08:22

3nanny6 Good for you!
I've also had times when I've tried to protect the vunerable from bullies, but don't think I would have had the guts to intervene in that situation.
A safer way of intervening, not really racism, but I read a story about a teenager who was being beaten up by a gang. A relative was watching, rushed up to the boy and grabbed him and shouted "I told you not to go out tonight!"
The attackers were so taken aback that they backed off.

3nanny6 Fri 05-Jun-20 14:54:08

You can bet your life I would do it SueDonim. Faced with fear perhaps but still do it would you stand by and watch someone being murdered? They may be armed with guns but I could be armed with my strength and courage and outrage that any one thinks they have the right to kill someone like that. (It was only a petty offence not even worthwhile to do what they done).
I have argued with a police officer in U.K. before when someone was down on the ground and he was still going to be tasered, the officer changed his mind and two officers just cuffed him up instead, it was an incident that did not call for tasering.