Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Ban introductions

(33 Posts)
hollysteers Sun 21-Jun-20 02:18:23

I have just finished a marvellous book, a real page turner and as usual am now reading the introduction. If I had read this before starting the book, it would have ruined it for me,
I feel so strongly about this I make sure I never read reviews on the back cover, or anything which gives me too much information.
The introduction is excellent, but should be called spoiler or some other title.
Anyone else agree?

grumppa Fri 24-Jul-20 10:20:32

German books often have a Nachwort - Afterword - at the end instead of a Vorwort - introduction. It sometimes helps to read it first!

lemongrove Fri 24-Jul-20 09:17:54

Baggs

Since one can ignore introductions, there is no need to ban them. By not reading them one has effectively suppressed them for one's own purposes while still allowing others the same freedom of choice.

A good post.??
I always read them.Depending on who they were written by, they can be entertaining as well as informative and perceptive and generally helpful.

flopen Fri 24-Jul-20 08:35:43

Unless it's a very short book, that's exactly what I do nort. And for the same reason. Otherwise, if I like the book , I can't stop reading it.

Lucca Fri 24-Jul-20 08:08:36

flopen

*How odd Ive not met a single person who didn’t love the book !*
check out Goodreads, there are a few of us. Not many though.

Oh yes I wasn’t doubting you, just surprised !

Nortsat Fri 24-Jul-20 08:05:42

I know this is perverse ... soon after I start a book, I read the last few pages.

It means I don’t get too caught up in the tension and I relax and enjoy it much more.

flopen Fri 24-Jul-20 07:58:09

How odd Ive not met a single person who didn’t love the book !
check out Goodreads, there are a few of us. Not many though.

MellowYellow Fri 24-Jul-20 07:24:41

I wish I could commute with seagulls, soaring above the rooftops. Maybe there's a book in that....

Lucca Fri 24-Jul-20 07:22:23

flopen

I always read the introduction after the book. A well written one adds to my enjoyment.
My bete noir is the list of questions for your book group to use in discussing the book. Like your about 13 years old.
I've just read On Chapel Sands with my book group. Excellent. Everyone enjoyed it, which is unusual.
Where the Crawdad Sings seems to be a very marmite book. Several friends have loved it, but I really disliked it. Young woman brings herself up in a swamp eating raw mussels and commuting with seagulls. Yet turns into a dazzling beauty. Yeh right. And the poetry - so awful.

How odd Ive not met a single person who didn’t love the book !

Lucca Fri 24-Jul-20 07:21:22

flopen

COMMUNING!

Commuting was far more fun!

flopen Fri 24-Jul-20 07:18:55

COMMUNING!

flopen Fri 24-Jul-20 07:18:18

I always read the introduction after the book. A well written one adds to my enjoyment.
My bete noir is the list of questions for your book group to use in discussing the book. Like your about 13 years old.
I've just read On Chapel Sands with my book group. Excellent. Everyone enjoyed it, which is unusual.
Where the Crawdad Sings seems to be a very marmite book. Several friends have loved it, but I really disliked it. Young woman brings herself up in a swamp eating raw mussels and commuting with seagulls. Yet turns into a dazzling beauty. Yeh right. And the poetry - so awful.

SueDonim Wed 24-Jun-20 17:33:11

Yes, Toscalily the reviews where people basically post a shortened version of the book are very odd. If I want to know the story, I’ll read it!

Namsnanny Wed 24-Jun-20 17:14:27

I agree too.

toscalily Wed 24-Jun-20 17:08:48

Like SueDonim I like just an inkling of the contents not a run down of the whole story. As for extended reviews on Amazon when buying for my kindle, these are really irritating. I sometimes get the impression that certain reviewers feel the need to be in competition with the author with such long winded, over detailed descriptions and a full cast of character analysis.

SueDonim Sun 21-Jun-20 15:01:16

I think the blurb on the back of books can be spoilers. I like to have an inkling of what a book is about but sometimes the back cover tells you just about everything that happens!

Sparkling Sun 21-Jun-20 13:17:36

You don’t have to read them, so why ban them?

JackyB Sun 21-Jun-20 13:14:45

It's the same with film trailers - they often show you far too much in advance and spoil the story for you.

Sparklefizz Sun 21-Jun-20 12:02:44

Thanks holly

hollysteers Sun 21-Jun-20 11:47:23

The book was ‘Someone at a Distance” by Dorothy Whipple.
Well defined characters, a goodie, a baddie etc.
Now to read everything she ever wrote, GW.

grannysyb Sun 21-Jun-20 09:43:16

Always read them after I have finished the book.

Sparklefizz Sun 21-Jun-20 09:40:48

Yes, I've just finished Crawdads, Lucca. Wasn't sure about it at first, but then really liked it. I have also read "The Wolf Border" by Sarah Hall which I enjoyed, and "The Dutch House" by Ann Patchett - another good book.

Lucca Sun 21-Jun-20 09:10:25

OP was in the wee small hours so don’t think will be awake etc yet. We shall have to wait. Meanwhile any good books you’ve read anyone (she said, hijacking the thread) ?
Where the crawdads sing “. I just read. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Lucca Sun 21-Jun-20 09:08:22

Far worse are the TV programmes “still to come” intros

Baggs Sun 21-Jun-20 08:43:48

Since one can ignore introductions, there is no need to ban them. By not reading them one has effectively suppressed them for one's own purposes while still allowing others the same freedom of choice.

Urmstongran Sun 21-Jun-20 08:28:44

Lucca ??