Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What are Jeffrey Archer books like ?

(34 Posts)
NanKate Sun 02-Aug-20 17:04:05

Since I bought a kindle my reading level has really increased. I am regularly sent offers for books at 99p and today I have been offered a new JA book.

I need some feedback from you bookworms please on what is writing is like. I read lots of thrillers normally.

Calendargirl Sun 02-Aug-20 17:06:55

I read Kane and Abel donkeys years ago, and thought it was good.

This was about 40 years ago though, my taste may have changed!

Maggiemaybe Sun 02-Aug-20 17:27:30

Same here, Calendargirl, I read (and enjoyed) some of his books back in the 70s.. Kane and Abel, Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less, Shall We Tell the President? The fact that I didn’t carry on reading his books probably shows that I wasn’t that impressed, but if I were you I’d risk the 99p.

Daddima Sun 02-Aug-20 18:05:23

I, too, enjoyed Kane and Abel and Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less. Don’t really know why I haven’t read any more.

SilentGames Sun 02-Aug-20 18:57:52

I find his books really good!

Charleygirl5 Sun 02-Aug-20 19:03:25

I used to enjoy reading his books but be careful- sometimes one had to read the previous book to have half an idea of what was going on.

I love thrillers so my favourites are Michael Connolly, Quentin Jardine and Faye Kellerman to name a few.

NanKate Sun 02-Aug-20 19:34:42

Thanks for the feedback. I will check out your suggestions Charleygirl5 ?

tinaf1 Sun 02-Aug-20 19:45:25

Really enjoyed Kane & Abel read it years ago, also read all the books in the Clifton Chronicles. I really enjoy the books I have read of his . I’d definitely give them a go

harrigran Sun 02-Aug-20 20:03:01

I have read all of his books, just finished the latest, Nothing ventured. I did not enjoy the latest as much his earlier novels but it was still worth reading.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 02-Aug-20 21:04:34

C**p basically was unanimous vote from my book group. We only read one!

bettybattenburg Sun 02-Aug-20 21:42:30

I really enjoyed them back in the 1980s, I haven't read any of the older ones again but like his newer ones.

midgey Sun 02-Aug-20 21:45:59

Train books. Easy read on the journey, not too worried if you leave it behind!

NanKate Sun 02-Aug-20 21:50:30

You did make me laugh Greeneyed. Just say it as it is, my kind of gal. ??

JuneRose Sun 02-Aug-20 22:20:42

They're quite easy reading. Not too taxing on the brain. Quite enjoyable. Worth a try I'd say.

JackyB Mon 03-Aug-20 08:15:04

I read Jane and Abel ages ago too. Not only did I find it a great page turner but scenes fro.m it often pop up in my memory even now. Have also read others; they do often come in series though, so you have to read them in order.

JackyB Mon 03-Aug-20 08:15:44

Kane and Abel of course!

Blinko Mon 03-Aug-20 08:18:36

The critics slated JA books, so of course they're immensely popular. Good escapist stuff...

henetha Mon 03-Aug-20 09:37:15

Definitely worth 99pence. Some of his books are great.

timetogo2016 Mon 03-Aug-20 09:43:05

Same here Calendargirl.and the sequil was the Prodical Daughter.
I really enjoyed them both.
Th eRiver God by Willbur Smith was also a good read and Jane Eual`s books starting with Clan of cave bear.

felice Mon 03-Aug-20 10:59:54

A friend brought one into Hospital for me and I actually liked it, I might venture another one sometime.

Witzend Mon 03-Aug-20 11:10:30

I was once at a writers’ do where a much less successful author than JA was speaking. Having told us that he was a friend of hers, she went on to say in a very patronising tone, ‘But of course he can’t write‘ - by which of course she meant in a more literary style.

As I thought to myself at the time, I bet you wish you had his facility for page-turning storytelling - and his mega-sales though!
I remember reading Not a Penny More, Not A Penny Less, and thinking how clever the plot was, especially since he’d written it (IIRC) after losing just about everything.

Trisha57 Mon 03-Aug-20 11:13:53

The Clifton books are brilliant - couldn't wait to read the next in the series as they all ended in cliffhangers!! Recommended them to my rather sniffy friend (a self-confessed literary "snob") who also got hooked! grin

Nana3 Mon 03-Aug-20 11:18:09

Never read one, wouldn't give him a penny of my money.

DanniRae Mon 03-Aug-20 11:43:41

After reading this thread I think I will risk 99p and get a JA book put on my kindle.
Thanks to all those who put positive posts!

NanKate Mon 03-Aug-20 18:31:30

Useful feedback folks, thanks. Next month I am having foot surgery and have to put my feet up for 2 weeks so I want to get my Kindle full of excellent books to keep me from wandering around. ?