Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Books for 7 year old girl

(62 Posts)
SewnSew Mon 26-Oct-20 12:31:25

We can't see our 7-year old granddaughter at the moment but have the great pleasure of reading her bedtime story every Sunday night over Skype. We are now running out of books, so can anyone suggest any she might like? She loves dancing, gymnastics, and her cockapoo puppy, as well as most other animals. When I look online it is hard to work out what age group a particular book would suit, so any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Fernhillnana Tue 27-Oct-20 10:50:34

Oh yes my daughter loved My Naughty Little Sister. She was totally convinced the books were about her!

rowyn Tue 27-Oct-20 11:03:08

www.lovereading4kids.co.uk is a very useful site. If you sign up they will send you a monthly email recommending books for all ages of children. On site you can search for books for different ages or get reviews of books you've heard about. I have 8 and 10 year old grandsons who live far away and although I know about a lot of children's authors it has helped me keep up to date with new , more modern authors. And I'm not talking about 'celebrity' authors cashing in on their fame!

As a back up, when deciding what to buy next, I go to Amazon, find the book, and read the reviews on there.

3rd option. Go to your local library and ask the children's librarian for advice.

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Oct-20 11:10:07

Yes, Dick King Smith and the Worst Witch stories.

GreenGran78 Tue 27-Oct-20 11:34:52

I’m glad to see that My Naughty Little Sister stories have been mentioned.. I also read bedtime stories to my GD in Australia, and have just introduced her to them. She’s not 4 yet, but she loves them.
As for 7 year olds, there is such a huge selection. The Wind in the Willows, Noel Streatfield’s Ballet School series. Jacqueline Pullein-Thompson’s pony books. Swallows and Amazons. I love all the old books the best, though my daughter’s eyebrows rise when Beatrix Potter’s animals get physically punished by their parents!

nipsmum Tue 27-Oct-20 11:36:01

The first book I ever read by myself was The Secret Garden. I have always loved it and made sure my children and grandchildren had copies too..

Caro57 Tue 27-Oct-20 11:37:49

Have a look at Usborne books

oldmom Tue 27-Oct-20 11:48:27

There are whole series of books based on ballet schools that would be suitable. Then as well as all the other suggestions, there are the Chalet school books. There is also a lot of good modern fantasy.

bigbird1 Tue 27-Oct-20 11:56:54

Was just about to suggest Jennie by Paul Gallico, phloembundle. Loved this book as a child and an adult.

Kim19 Tue 27-Oct-20 12:11:15

Great topic. I visited my GD aged newly 8 and was amazed by the advance is her reading ability. I was indeed buying far too immature books for her. Just about to purchase a box set of Little house on the prairie which she fancies. Also she has a favourite author called Ann Lane whom I had never heard of. Her parents have religiously worked their way through Harry Potter series at bedtime until it became a little scary for the younger one. They love it.

Kim19 Tue 27-Oct-20 12:12:37

Sorry please read Anna Dale for the author. Don't ask!!

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Oct-20 12:28:17

*Little house on the Prairie (Laura Ingalls Wilder)

*The Bears on Hemlock Mountain (Alice Dalgliesh)

*The Bad Beginning (A Series Of Unfortunate Events)
by Lemony Snicket

*Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Chris Riddell)

*A Wizard of Earthsea (Ursula K. Le Guin) - think some of mine might have been 8 when I read this but depends on the child.

*White Fang (Jack London) - have just read this to an 8 year old.

Sarnia Tue 27-Oct-20 12:30:14

Michael Morpurgo has written some lovely children's books.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 27-Oct-20 13:08:36

The obvious choice is Harry Potter, but I suppose she has already read that.

Why not the old favourites: Jungle Book, Puck of Pook's Hill, The Just so stories, Heidi, I adored it when I was seven, the Katy Books, Little Women, Andrew Lang's Fairy Tales, E. Nesbitt.

BlueRuby Tue 27-Oct-20 13:33:03

Anything by the naughty, wonderful, subversive Roald Dahl!! The image of Little Red Riding Hood pulling a pistol from her knickers still makes me howl with laughter!

lizzypopbottle Tue 27-Oct-20 13:39:39

Haven't looked to see if anyone else has recommended this series so apologies if so:

The Royal Rabbits of London by Santa Montefiore

helgawills Tue 27-Oct-20 13:40:34

I agree with lots of those, specially Michael Morpurgo.
Also all the Animal Ark books by Lucy Daniels. My daughter used to love them and is now a Vet.

Ellianne Tue 27-Oct-20 13:45:43

Another Michael Morpurgo fan here. Children love his books, (and grown ups!).

rowanflower0 Tue 27-Oct-20 13:53:57

Dick King Smith and Roald Dahl would be my 'go-to' authors. but also Truckers, Diggers and Wings (The Bromeliad Trilogy) by Terry Patchett.

Jane43 Tue 27-Oct-20 14:00:10

Our granddaughters loved The Worst Witch books, anything by Jacqueline Wilson and The Flower Fairies books.

Seefah Tue 27-Oct-20 14:02:46

Paddington , Pippy Longstocking , Black Beauty , Heidi, Winnie the Pooh ( good for voices ) Paddington and Pooh were my first philosophers and I adored those books as did my children . Can’t stick Harry Potter personally.

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Oct-20 14:54:42

Seefar I'm with you on the Potter books. Dull to read aloud and derivative.

But I don't like the Enid Blyton either so know I'm probably in a minority.

kathyd Tue 27-Oct-20 16:27:09

The Treehouse Storey Books. I gave a set of these to my goddaughter's daughter (8 yrs old) for Christmas last year and to my utter amazement she wrote to me to say how much she enjoyed them. She said they are very funny.

Merryweather Tue 27-Oct-20 17:07:04

Winnie the witch books are funny and fun. There's the secret kingdom books too - my dd have loved them. You could also try Harry Potter books- they are now available as picture books, the artwork is stunning. Pet rescue series is fantastic, plus magic molly.
I have a bookcase full for my 6 1/2 and 9-year old. Both very good readers ahead of what's expected at school.
Does she have any particular interests? I could suggest more based on that information.

grannybuy Tue 27-Oct-20 17:15:37

My DGG is enjoying listening to The Children From One End Street at the moment.

bikerbill Tue 27-Oct-20 17:18:03

toppsta.com/ is very good. They have the books by age and also they have reviews. Well worth a look