Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Books for 7 year old girl

(62 Posts)
SewnSew Mon 26-Oct-20 12:31:25

We can't see our 7-year old granddaughter at the moment but have the great pleasure of reading her bedtime story every Sunday night over Skype. We are now running out of books, so can anyone suggest any she might like? She loves dancing, gymnastics, and her cockapoo puppy, as well as most other animals. When I look online it is hard to work out what age group a particular book would suit, so any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

4allweknow Tue 27-Oct-20 18:40:00

The Worst Witch series went down well with my GD last year when 7 years. Now on The Boy Who Grew Dragons. Otherwise Google books for 7 year olds.

Dancinggran Tue 27-Oct-20 18:53:16

My eldest grandaughter loved Michael Morpurgo and Dick King Smith books, another enjoyed reading Animal Arc books that had been her aunties. You can also get adaptations of the 'classics' including Charles Dickens, Jane Austen and Arthur Conan Doyle for 7+, many great stories but original texts too heavy generally for younger children.

Gin Tue 27-Oct-20 19:45:34

Joan Aitkin books particularly those about Arabel and Mortimer the raven

lemongrove Tue 27-Oct-20 19:50:05

Seven year olds vary wildly with their reading ability, but the Enid Blyton Faraway Tree books are wonderful and about right, also the Wishing Chair books.My own children and grandchildren loved them.

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Oct-20 20:28:54

lemongrove - I understood this was a book to read to a 7 year old so it would be nice to read something a bit beyond her ability but suited to her age.

lemongrove Tue 27-Oct-20 21:51:44

Lovely stories to have read to you though as well.

BassGrammy Tue 27-Oct-20 23:54:14

I asked my 7 year old granddaughter this afternoon and she said, Harry Potter, Tom Gates books, ADog named Skye, and a Pig called Truffle!
She reads very well, but I think bedtime stories are read by Mummy or Daddy....hence Harry Potter!

Mamma66 Wed 28-Oct-20 08:17:54

Our grandchildren absolutely adore Ronald Dahl - The Twits is a particular favourite

rubysong Wed 28-Oct-20 11:19:22

The Ramona books by Beverly Cleary.

Lizzyflip Wed 28-Oct-20 12:28:02

The secret garden. My granddaughters love it.

trisher Wed 28-Oct-20 13:27:25

My GD loved the Rainbow fairies series- there are loads of them. Two girls who help out the fairies, when Jack frost and the goblins cause bother. I found them a bit repetitive but she loved them. She's also now into Roald Dahl-The Twits and George's Marvellous Medicine