Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Long books

(90 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Tue 24-Nov-20 17:43:55

Why are books so long these days? I have just re-read (for the umpteenth time) Miss Pym Disposes by Josephine Tey, which has 192 pages in paperback. I have also just finished Troubled Blood, the latest Robert Galbraith novel, which has 927 (!!) pages in hardback. Both good stories, but by the time I had finished Troubled Blood I had forgotten quite a lot of what had happened earlier in the book. What do you think - are books sometimes just too long?

lemongrove Tue 24-Nov-20 20:25:11

Blossoming

I love Donna Tartt’s books. A friend recommended them to me a few years ago. Definitely not too long ?

I think just the opposite, well written and at times boring, all her books need serious editing IMHO especially The Goldfinch.

lemongrove Tue 24-Nov-20 20:26:29

Sorry * Sue Donim* x posts.

Blossoming Tue 24-Nov-20 22:41:13

I guess the world would be a very boring place if we all had the same tastes. The friend who recommended The Goldfinch to me is an architect, living in Boston, with whom I share many interests. We both love the way she evokes a sense of place.

Are there any books you particularly like lemongrove and SueDonim? I’m always on the lookout for recommendations.

CanadianGran Wed 25-Nov-20 08:23:28

We had a good laugh at our book group about this. One of our members was often overwhelmed at how long some books were! We giggle now that some of her favourites have been the longer ones!

I struggled with The Goldfinch and think it needed a good editing - about 300 pages worth!

However I loved A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.

I think for me as long as the plot is moving along, or if it is a saga, the different parts add to the whole. I enjoyed Sarum by Edward Rutherford, for instance.

Lucca Wed 25-Nov-20 08:34:09

Blossoming

I guess the world would be a very boring place if we all had the same tastes. The friend who recommended The Goldfinch to me is an architect, living in Boston, with whom I share many interests. We both love the way she evokes a sense of place.

Are there any books you particularly like lemongrove and SueDonim? I’m always on the lookout for recommendations.

I too have an architect friend living in Boston ! Strange.

sodapop Wed 25-Nov-20 08:43:32

I agree about Donna Tart lemongrove I think her books need serious editing as well.

travelsafar Wed 25-Nov-20 08:48:50

I love audio books. My eyes get to tired after a couple of pages. I listening to mine most days. Currently listening to one called Knitting. An unusal story but very enjoyable. I listen whilst doing my knitting or if there is noting i fancy on the TV. I have to be careful if i am tired though as sometimes the soothing sound of being read too can make me doze off then i have to try and go back to a section i recognise to find out where i was!!! smile

Blossoming Wed 25-Nov-20 15:25:38

Oh well, I guess the GN Book Forum is just another place where I don’t fit in, byeeee grin

SueDonim Wed 25-Nov-20 16:27:52

Blossoming

Did you mean long books or any books? I mentioned The Son by Philipp Meyer. The Cazalet saga by Elizabeth Jane Howard consists of five quite long books. If you want long non-fiction, then a biography of Florence Nightingale by Mark Bostridge went on and on (she was a v busy woman)! Also, Pandemic 1918 by Catherine Arnold is a long read.

ayse Wed 25-Nov-20 16:40:40

I love long books. Authors include Ken Follet and Edward Rutherford. Historical novels are my favourite. They are especially good on long plane journeys and very lazy holidays.

Georgette Heyerdahl was a favourite when I was in my teens, plus Victoria Holt and Susan Howatch.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

sodapop Wed 25-Nov-20 17:28:55

Not a case of fitting in Blossoming we are never all going to agree on things like books and films that's what makes it interesting. I find Dickens quite tedious with his long descriptions but others find this one of his strengths.

lemongrove Wed 25-Nov-20 19:13:44

Nothing wrong in having different views to other posters either on books or any other subject on GN.
I have loved the Wolf Hall trilogy by Hilary Mantel Blossoming and just about any book by Kate Atkinson.
My new discovery is Diane Setterfield, particularly ‘Once Upon A River’.
A favourite book is Winter In Madrid by C J Sansom, although am not keen on his historical detective books.
The Shell Seekers ( a long book) by Rosamunde Pilcher is a good read.

etheltbags1 Wed 25-Nov-20 20:15:45

Reading got me through lockdown 1 and also this one. I love a long book but I struggle with the weight of some books. In bed my hand gets numb from the carpal tunnel, I have to stuck to a slim volume but otherwise if I like a book I don't care how long it is. I have read some of your recommendations and will follow them up. Never read Donna Tarry, that's one to look for. Btw my kindle cannot change its font.

etheltbags1 Wed 25-Nov-20 20:16:21

I meant Donna Tarry,

etheltbags1 Wed 25-Nov-20 20:17:24

My spellchecker will not allow me to type Donna T A R R T as a word. Sorry.

Chardy Wed 25-Nov-20 21:52:32

A few years ago, a friend complained she couldn't read a lengthy hardback she'd been given as she couldn't physically hold it for long. I saw the book as a 2nd hand paperback for £1.50, bought it, and told her to cut it in half. We did both laugh when I asked her if she was enjoying it, as after 100 pages, she decided she didn't like it. The hardback was sent to the charity shop.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 26-Nov-20 10:16:09

I was given the complete set of 8 Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon. Just hoping the books will hold my attention the way the series has. Just starting to turn the corner from a nasty dose of covid so hopefully will be up to concentrating soon.

GrammarGrandma Thu 26-Nov-20 10:19:56

sayse I think you have married Georgette Heyer to Thor Heyerdahl!

Quilty Thu 26-Nov-20 10:24:07

I love the story of Les Misersbles. The dramatisation excellent, the abridged book excellent......but oh the unabridged book-how hard it is to read. 1400 pages of small print. I've got to page 200 or so 3 times and then given up. Think I'll try again!!!

Chaitriona Thu 26-Nov-20 10:31:12

A book that bores you is always too long. A book that you love is never too long. In fact you can regret coming to the end of it.

Bazza Thu 26-Nov-20 11:12:37

Spot on Chaitriona, if you’re really enjoying a book, whatever the length, it’s almost a shame to finish it.

I can’t say the same about films though (remember the cinema?) I find no matter how much I’ve enjoyed it, it always seems at least 20 minutes too long. I’ve love to be a film editor!

Annaram1 Thu 26-Nov-20 11:15:32

I love Charles Dickens and even with the lengthy descriptions I have never been bored for a moment. I have written a book, just finished it, and it is less than 75000 words long. Just can't increase it! The other one I am writing, set in the first WW, demands so much research that I can't see myself finishing it. It could be a long book... if ever...The only recent books I have read are the Fifty Shades by E L James. Could do with a complete rewrite and edit. But hey! - she sells!

SueEH Thu 26-Nov-20 11:16:13

I’m just starting on a 1,300 pager! I like something to get my teeth into smile

nipsmum Thu 26-Nov-20 11:19:31

Long or short if I'm enjoying it, it is never long enough

Moggycuddler Thu 26-Nov-20 11:22:06

Some books are long, some are short. Some are even middling length . . . If they're really good, doesn't matter if they're long, does it??