Gransnet forums

Books/book club

*2021 - 50 BOOKS FOR THE YEAR*

(860 Posts)
TerriBull Fri 01-Jan-21 08:09:40

Welcome contributors to a new reading year! Some of us may achieve the 50 book bench mark, even surpass it, some may not, I didn't last year, that really isn't important. This is a thread for those who would like to keep a running tally of their reads over the year. Please come and share your thoughts, recommendations and even dislikes of the books you are reading.

As in previous years, all types of reading and listening matter can be included, fiction, non fiction, audio, biographies, memoirs even children's books if a trip down memory lane is your preference.

Here's wishing all those who wish to partake enjoyable reading for the coming year.

Annethenan Fri 01-Jan-21 11:17:06

We are also listening to Obama and his narration is just perfect, could listen all day.

SueSocks Fri 01-Jan-21 11:17:35

Love the idea of this thread. I kept a list of all the books I read this year, didn’t hit 50 but not far off. Surprised at how many I did read, admittedly some were quite thin. I will be keeping a list of my books again this year. I tend to read crime fiction but aim to be a bit more diverse this yeat.

NorthowramGran Fri 01-Jan-21 11:18:14

What a great idea, can I join too? I just checked my kindle and found I read 50 books last year, I’ve surprised myself! I am currently rereading Andrea Camilleri’s Inspector Montalbano books interspersed with others. I started ‘A Nest of Vipers’ last night.

Nellie54 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:23:38

Tidelands by Philippa Gregory and the sequel, Dark Tides.
Now to read Phillip Schofield’s autobiography.

rowanflower0 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:30:45

I read a lot, but haven't counted - my aim is to write a lot more and investigate self-publishing, this year. No creative writing group since March to spur me on!

Kartush Fri 01-Jan-21 11:30:57

TerriBull I must confess that I too read over 200 books last year and to answer your question, yes you do have time to eat and sleep. I read at breakfast while my husband looks at the paper, at night while he is watching tv and for an hour or so before I sleep. I doubt that I will manage that many this year though.

Zd70 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:34:42

I managed over 50 books last year but I think that was due to circumstances.I have only just discovered gransnet so this is the first time I have visited this thread. At the moment I am reading Away with the Penguins by Hazel Prior.A nice easy feel good book.

Bakingmad0203 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:40:53

I’d like to join too! I like the idea of keeping track of the books I read, especially the good ones.
I get my books from the local library, I order them on line after I’ve looked at this thread. It has introduced me to so many good authors I wouldn’t have tried otherwise.
I too am trying to reduce the time I spend on my iPad!

Aepgirl Fri 01-Jan-21 11:41:38

I certainly couldn’t read 50 books in a year. I like to take my time, taking at least 2 weeks to read an average length book.

Happysexagenarian Fri 01-Jan-21 11:53:01

I'm reading Richard Osman's The Thursday Murder Club. I don't get through many books in a year as I only read in bed last thing at night and occasionally when I wake up if it's very early. I like 'easy' reading that doesn't require too much concentration or give me nightmares!

clareken Fri 01-Jan-21 12:00:37

I did a book a week last year. Managed 184, but some of them were shorter. I am going to continue, but I have always been a reader.

Spec1alk Fri 01-Jan-21 12:00:41

I’m reading Autumn by Ali Smith. The first of a quartet of her books bought for me for Christmas. It’s poetic and philosophical whilst built around a modern fluctuating timeline. I’m loving the strangeness of it!

wimbledon Fri 01-Jan-21 12:01:23

This is such a good idea. I am a very slow reader but joined a book club and it helps to give me a structure and goals to my reading even if I do not like all the books. This is another way of getting me inspired and hearing what others say about books is so helpful. Last year my great achievement was to read East West Street by Philippe Sands which is non fiction. I was also introduced to Stefan Zweig including his book 'Beware of Pity'. These books have given me so much pleasure and education. I also listen to audio books as I used to do a lot of driving before lockdown. Mainly books from the Library. We are so lucky to have public libraries and to have so many amazing books to choose from both from them and to buy. I am reading Saturday by Ian McEwan at present which is a good contrast to the others I mentioned.

Craftycat Fri 01-Jan-21 12:06:14

Heard a bit of Mystery of Edwin Drood on radio & it is a Dickens I have never read so downloaded it on my Kindle.
My favourite book last year was also Where The Crawdads Sing.
I heard a mention of Cold Comfort Farm on The Archers & I remember I really liked that book so I will re-read that too.
Just finished Troubled Blood. Not as good as the previous ones in my opinion.

Thorntrees Fri 01-Jan-21 12:15:42

I love reading and have read so many books over the last year as I’ve been shielding for 10 months now. Never kept a count before but will do so from now on. Just finished- Hamnet by Maggie Ofarrell,can highly recommend it,my 18 year old granddaughter enjoyed it as well. Have the Philippa Gregory sequel to Tidelands to start soon. I always buy the Richard and Judy book club books when they are available, titles I would never have found by myself. Looking forward to another year of reading.

Quaver22 Fri 01-Jan-21 12:15:42

I’m new to this thread but like the idea of sharing ideas. I read 58 books last year.Far more than I usually read but it kept me going and compensated for all the activities I had to give up.
My favourite books of the year were Olive Kitteridge and Olive Again by Elizabeth Strout, American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins and Summerwater by Sarah Moss. Currently reading and enjoying Such a Fun Age by Killy Read.
I read mostly on my tablet and borrow ebooks from the local library. Goodreads is a great resource for browsing new titles.

GreyKnitter Fri 01-Jan-21 12:18:31

Before C I used to borrow several books each week from the library but having reread lots from my home bookshelves I’ve now taken to reading on my kindle and don’t keep a count of those. Like several others I’ve just started A Promised Land by Barack Obama and loving it. I’ve read his other book plus Becoming written by Michelle and loved them. This promises to be as good.

Jillybird Fri 01-Jan-21 12:27:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Abbney13 Fri 01-Jan-21 12:36:02

I started keeping a list of books I read since 2010. Once I got a kindle I could never remember what books I had actually read, and as I read a lot it has been great. Usually read over 50 a year (this year 65), but a lot of them easily forgetable! My stand out one of this year are:
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, Jamie Ford.
Needle Mouse, Jane O’Connor.
The Beekeeper of Aleppo, Christy Lefteri.
My Name is Lucy Barton, Elizabeth Stroud.
Lyrebird, Cecelia Ahern.
The Curious Heart of Alisa Rae, Stephanie Butland.
The Girl who reads on the Metro, Christine Feret-Fleury.
Where the Crawdads Sing, Delia Owens.

Buddie Fri 01-Jan-21 12:45:02

Another here who would like to join. I doubt I would hit the 50 mark but enjoy reading a mix of fact and fiction. I usually have a couple of books on the go - something light (in every sense) to read in bed and something a bit more meaty to read when opportunity strikes throughout the day. I also write articles so do a lot of non-fiction reading around that although not always complete books in that instance. During the initial lockdown a member of our WI set up a book swap and that certainly broadened my reading as I read works by authors I had not met before. I had a lot of book through the GN Book Club when it was active and do miss the recommendations. For fiction I generally opt for crime or historical novels - just finishing a Dick Francis left behind by my son on his last visit - and for non-fiction social history and biographies. Reading Phil Tufnell's Cricketing Tales for light entertainment at present - another of my son's books. To be fair, the family do tend to treat my bookshelves as a library and often leave behind ones they have read after visits!

Emptynester Fri 01-Jan-21 12:45:49

A Single Thread by Tracey Chevalier - most unusual topic definitely worth a read! Good luck.

Startingover61 Fri 01-Jan-21 13:03:59

I'm halfway through The Foundling, by Stacey Halls. I'm enjoying it very much. My first encounter with this author, but I plan to look out for The Familiars and I understand she has a new novel out this year.

Puzzler61 Fri 01-Jan-21 13:07:38

I’m reading “The Thursday Murder Club” by Richard Osman too, like Happysexagenarian. It is an easy read.

Alima Fri 01-Jan-21 13:07:56

The reading bug has upped and left me completely, been over two years now and shows no signs of returning. Only managed 22 books last year, wonder if this year will be better? My first book this year is the new Rebus one, A Song For the Dark Times, so far so good.

Teamug Fri 01-Jan-21 13:12:14

I got The evening and the morning Ken Follett prequel to The Pillars of the earth for christmas i love his books .Happy New Year All.