Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Any nominations for those passages in novels which bring you to tears every time you read them?

(64 Posts)
Floriel Wed 27-Jan-21 15:51:03

My first three are:
Silas Marner. The bit where lonely Silas stretches out his hand to feel his money and finds the sleeping Effie on the hearth.

Persuasion. Capt Wentworth's letter to Anne.

Black Beauty. Almost every page!

Clawdy Wed 21-Apr-21 22:06:38

Anne Tyler again - The Amateur Marriage. The last two pages when he revisits his old home and thinks he can see his first wife in the garden and she sees him and her face lights up........

Witzend Wed 21-Apr-21 19:30:20

The bit in Cranford, where Mary (?) is reading some old letters after Deborah (the very pernickety and crusty old spinster) has died.
There’s one from Deborah’s young mother, to her mother, where she’s writing about her new baby (Deborah), so happy and excited, and says she’s sure she’s going to be ‘a regular bewty’.
So poignant.

MerylStreep Wed 21-Apr-21 19:26:34

The Island by Victoria Hislop. The cruellest of endings.

MerylStreep Wed 21-Apr-21 19:19:11

Gardenergran
I’ve just finished reading it for the second time ?

Loislovesstewie Wed 21-Apr-21 19:11:06

Oh and the end of Jane Eyre of course.

Loislovesstewie Wed 21-Apr-21 19:08:58

When Lee Scoresby dies, I've tears in my eyes just thinking about it. And when Lyra and Will realize they can never be together at the end of The Amber Spyglass.

BridgetPark Wed 21-Apr-21 19:03:54

If anyone on here has read A Solitary Grief by Bernice Reubens, you will know the unbearable sadness of this book. A baby is born, she has Down's Syndrome. It is a brutal honest book about this subject, not uplifting at all. The passage I would refer to has these words in a long passage:
I am the earthquake you must hideously survive.....

Its a riveting read, and the emotions in it are so honest and heartbreaking. If you feel strong enough, i would recommend it. Let us know if you have read it, or intend to.

fairfraise Thu 18-Mar-21 11:54:59

The bit in Jude the Obscure when they find the dead children.
I read it occasionally and that bit always has me drawing my breath.

Sonatina7 Thu 18-Mar-21 11:37:43

I think that The Great Gatsby is one of the most beautiful novels ever written.
This line really moves me:
'And so we beat on boats against the current borne back ceaselessly into the past.'

BrightandBreezy Thu 11-Mar-21 20:37:37

Little Woman when I was about 12. The part where Amy nearly dies after falling through the ice on the lake when Jo was ignoring her because she was with Laurie and she was angry at Amy for destroying her writing. Jo shares her guilt and anguish with her mother who tells her
'forgive each other, help each other and begin again tomorrow'

Ahh. Families ...if only ...

Anniebach Thu 11-Mar-21 20:37:05

Wuthering Heights. Catherine - ‘Nellie, I am Heathcliff ‘

Eloethan Thu 11-Mar-21 19:11:57

Closing paragraph of "Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant" by Anne Tyler:

"Cody held on to his elbow and led him towards the others. Overhead, seagulls drifted through a sky so clear and blue that it brought back all the outings of his boyhood - the drives, the picnics, the autumn hikes, the wildflower walks in the spring. He remembered the archery trip, and it seemed to him now that he even remembered that arrow sailing its graceful, fluttering path. He remembered his mother's upright form along the grasses, her hair lit gold, her small hands smoothing her bouquet while the arrow journeyed on. And high above, he seemed to recall, there had been a little brown airplane, almost motionless, droning through the sunshine like a bumblebee."

"And when did you last see your father?" by Blake Morrison (a memoir). (I read an extract in the Sunday Times in the 1990's and decided I must buy the book. I had forgotten that it is signed to me by Blake Morrison inside the front cover but I don't remember getting it signed, which is odd.)
A moving, courageous and often funny memoir of Morrison's loving but complicated relationship with his Dad:

He isn't drinking, isn't eating. He wear his trousers open at the waist, held up not by a belt but by pain and swelling. He looks like death, but he is not dead, and won't be for another four weeks. He has driven down from Yorkshire to London. He has made it against the odds. He is still my father. He is still here.

"I've brought some plants for you."

"Come and sit down first, Dad, you've been driving for hours."

"No, best get them unloaded."

It's like Birnam Wood coming to Sunsinane, black plastic bags and wooden boxes blooming in the back seat, the rear window, the boot: herbs, hypericum, escallonia, cotoneaster, ivies, potentillas. He directs me where to leave the different plants - which will need shade, which sun, which shelter. Like all my father's presents, they come with a pay-off - he will not leave until he has seen every one of them planted: "I know you. And I don't want them drying up."

We walk round the house, the expanse of rooms, so different from the old flat. "It's wonderful to see you settled at last," he says, and I resist telling him that I'm not settled, have never felt less settled in my life. I see his eyes taking in the little things to be done, the leaky taps, the cracked paint, the rotting window frames.

"You'll need a new switch unit for the mirror light - the contact has gone, see."

"Yes."

"And a couple of two-inch Phillips screws will solve this."

"I've got some. Let's have a drink now, eh."

"What's the schedule for tomorrow?" he asks, as always, and I'm irritated, as always, at his need to parcel out the weekend into a series of tasks, as if without a plan of action it wouldn't be worth his coming, not even to see his son or grandchildren. "I don't think I'll be much help to you," he says, "but I'll try." By nine-thirty he is in bed and asleep."

Grandmajean Thu 11-Mar-21 16:46:48

I am so soft over animals that I won't read a book if I know an animal is likely to die ! I also check when reading a book that any animal mentioned at the beginning is still there at the end ! Otherwise I won't carry on reading. My family think I'm nuts !

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Mar-21 16:38:25

A Thousand Splendid Suns.

I found it so emotional that I would not be able to read it again.

I haven’t been able read War Horse for the same reason.

EllanVannin Thu 11-Mar-21 16:34:20

2 Operas that I saw :
Madam Butterfly and La Boheme. Saw both at the Liverpool Empire and I looked like Alice Cooper when I left.

Many books have the same effect,
How Green was my Valley. Roots. Tiny Tim in Dickens Christmas Carol.
Warhorse. Twopence to Cross the Mersey ( Helen Forrester's life as a child )

Most of which are mentioned here.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 11-Mar-21 16:20:38

Wuthering Heights when Cathy dies and Heathcliffe begs her not to leave him, haunt me he says but do not leave me.

Kaimoana Mon 08-Mar-21 16:47:47

The poem at the beginning of, 'Ring of Bright Water' by naturalist, Gavin Maxwell

I first read it shortly after I was married and full of romantic notions. smile

It's by Kathleen Raine from her The Marriage of Psyche and quite sad really as Kathleen was, for many years, in love with Gavin Maxwell, who was gay.

He has married me with a ring, a ring of bright water
Whose ripples travel from the heart of the sea,
He has married me with a ring of light, the glitter
Broadcast on the swift river.
He has married me with the sun's circle
Too dazzling to see, traced in a summer sky.
He has crowned me with the wreath of white cloud
That gathers on the snowy summit of the mountain,
Ringed me round with the world-circling wind,
Bound me to the whirlwind's centre.

He has married me with the orbit of the moon
And with the boundless circle of stars,
With the orbits that measure years, months, days, and nights,
Set the tides flowing,
Command the winds to travel or be at rest.

At the ring's centre,
Spirit or angel troubling the pool,
Causality not in nature,
Finger's touch that summons at a point,
a moment, Stars and planets, life and light
Or gathers clouds about an apex of gold,
Transcendent touch of love summons my world into being.

It's a bit flowery but it still brings a tear to my eye.

RustyBear Wed 17-Feb-21 11:47:21

Jodi Taylor's And The Rest is History, in the Chronicles of St Mary's series, where Max's baby is stolen. The way she runs around trying desperately to find him, with her thoughts going wild, always brings back the 15 minutes over 25 years ago when I lost my daughter in a shopping centre. (There are many other passages in the series that make me cry with laughter)

Nannagarra Sat 06-Feb-21 18:02:04

Sydney Carton’s sacrifice and final thoughts in ‘A Tale of Two Cities’:
“It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.”
Mawkish, I know, but tears trickled down my cheeks in front of 32 teenagers when the whole of Dickens’ text was on the syllabus.

suziewoozie Sat 06-Feb-21 17:24:36

And this
“But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.”
― George Eliot, Middlemarch

suziewoozie Sat 06-Feb-21 17:21:58

“What greater thing is there for two human souls, than to feel that they are joined for life--to strengthen each other in all labor, to rest on each other in all sorrow, to minister to each other in all pain, to be one with each other in silent unspeakable memories at the moment of the last parting?”
― George Eliot, Adam Bede

This

LullyDully Sat 06-Feb-21 15:52:33

I well up when Jane Eyre goes back to the broken Mr Rochester in the end. He's blind and is aware who she is. Very moving ( an old romantic I am afraid. )

Also the part in Captain Corelli's Mandoline when they find the snail shells in the jar years later.

Not to mention the father on the station in the Railway children.

dogsmother Sat 06-Feb-21 14:55:35

Black Beauty as a child. A Thousand Splendid Suns as an adult.....

MiniMoon Thu 28-Jan-21 13:16:34

The death of Minnehaha in The Song of Hiawatha brings me to tears every time I read it.

I sang the choral piece with a choir I was a member of, some years ago. It was very difficult to sing without weeping.

Iam64 Thu 28-Jan-21 12:52:05

When I was a small child, I’d ask mum to read me the story of the little match girl, or the red shoes. Evidently my plea would include the promise “I won’t cry this time mummy”