Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Authors you want to shout about

(230 Posts)
NellG Tue 16-Feb-21 13:04:05

Have you ever read book so good you can't understand why it's not a bestseller? Yet when you mention it no one ( or very few) has/have heard of either the book or the author. My current favourite is Jess Kidd, she's absolutely brilliant, she reminds me of Kate Atkinson, Diane Setterfield and Edna O'Brien all rolled up into accessible, beautifully written, readable fiction.

pinkwallpaper Thu 04-Mar-21 13:28:13

Sorry haven't read all of the thread but have just downloaded to my library ap The Hoarder. I have saved so much money of kindle by using the local library ap for free. I use Borrowbox and Libby but there are others. Apparently they do not all connect to Kindle paper whites but I read from Amazon fire Kindle so it has been no problem.

lolarabbit Wed 10-Mar-21 11:01:35

Just wanted to day thank you for the recommendation of The Hoarder which I've just finished and absolutely loved. I also borrowed it from library but as an audio book. Not my usual format but it was read beautifully and I think the Irish accent really enhanced the experience. Trying 'Things in Jars' now.

pydora Sat 15-May-21 15:29:50

I have just finished She Lies in Wait by Gytha Lodge.
Great story, and great plot. I couldn't put it down.
Now looking for more by the same author.

timetogo2016 Sat 15-May-21 15:35:45

Jean M Auel,her books take me back to when we lived in caves hunted for food,how food was cooked,early medical ideas etc and how we evolved from caves to houses.