Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Authors you want to shout about

(230 Posts)
NellG Tue 16-Feb-21 13:04:05

Have you ever read book so good you can't understand why it's not a bestseller? Yet when you mention it no one ( or very few) has/have heard of either the book or the author. My current favourite is Jess Kidd, she's absolutely brilliant, she reminds me of Kate Atkinson, Diane Setterfield and Edna O'Brien all rolled up into accessible, beautifully written, readable fiction.

timetogo2016 Sat 15-May-21 15:35:45

Jean M Auel,her books take me back to when we lived in caves hunted for food,how food was cooked,early medical ideas etc and how we evolved from caves to houses.

pydora Sat 15-May-21 15:29:50

I have just finished She Lies in Wait by Gytha Lodge.
Great story, and great plot. I couldn't put it down.
Now looking for more by the same author.

lolarabbit Wed 10-Mar-21 11:01:35

Just wanted to day thank you for the recommendation of The Hoarder which I've just finished and absolutely loved. I also borrowed it from library but as an audio book. Not my usual format but it was read beautifully and I think the Irish accent really enhanced the experience. Trying 'Things in Jars' now.

pinkwallpaper Thu 04-Mar-21 13:28:13

Sorry haven't read all of the thread but have just downloaded to my library ap The Hoarder. I have saved so much money of kindle by using the local library ap for free. I use Borrowbox and Libby but there are others. Apparently they do not all connect to Kindle paper whites but I read from Amazon fire Kindle so it has been no problem.

NellG Thu 04-Mar-21 13:15:51

I really enjoyed the Jenny Eclair books a while back, your post reminded me of them Nergard as I'm pretty sure one of her titles involves Custard Slices!

They're like British versions of Anne Tyler etc - not quite as literary, but slice of life stories that are thought provoking. Good if you're in a more contemplative reading groove.

Nergard Thu 04-Mar-21 12:07:16

At a holiday cottage picked up a Ruth Ware book The Woman in Cabin 10 and then read the Death of Mrs Westaway. Mysteries in modern times with a lovely twist at the end. Loved them. Also Mary Gibson for a gentle read Custard Tarts and Broken Hearts set in the early 1900s.

readalot Wed 03-Mar-21 18:31:22

The best book I have read for a while is called Just Once by Lori Handeland. I bought it a year ago. They are going to make it into a film

Grandmasuzy Wed 03-Mar-21 15:36:38

I loved Gentleman in Moscow. Also Natasha Pulley ( The watchmaker of Filigree St) and Susanna Clarke ( Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell ) have written my favourite books of all time.

LizH13 Wed 03-Mar-21 13:10:04

Love all the great recommendations on here. My already bulging shelves will have to be stretched some more. Have to agree with those about Thursday Murder Club. Very underwhelming.
The best I’ve read recently was The Prosecutor by Nazir Afzal. It’s not a novel or a biography more a diary of his career but so thoroughly readable and incite full. Highly recommended

Hellogirl1 Tue 02-Mar-21 23:14:23

Denzil Meyrick, born and bred in Kintyre, writes crime stories set in the area, but with the place names changed. Anyone who knows the area will recognise certain places. The first book in the series is Whisky from Small Glasses.

Sara1954 Sun 28-Feb-21 09:20:03

Eloethan
Yes, I like St Maybe. I think that’s how I got into Anne Tyler, I heard it serialised on the radio.
I did love The Time Travellers Wife, but I read her next book, which I can’t even remember the title of, and didn’t like it, I also loved Captain Corellis Mandolin.
I was distinctly underwhelmed with The Essex Serpent, which everyone seemed to be raving about.
The Testaments I also found really disappointing.

Shinamae Sun 28-Feb-21 00:00:14

James Herbert. Martina Cole....

Eloethan Sat 27-Feb-21 23:49:13

Sarah1954 I agree with you that Donna Tartt's other aren't as engaging as Secret History. I really enjoyed the first half of the Goldfinch but thought it fizzled out towards the end.

I like Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant too. My other two favourites are Saint Maybe and The Accidental Tourist. I also thought the film of The Accidental Tourist was very good.

I have just finished A Single Thread by Tracy Chevalier and found it slightly boring. However, Girl with a pearl earring is, I think, brilliant and Remarkable Creatures.

NellG Hope you enjoy.

What people like to read is a very personal thing though isn't it. Even books that are hugely popular don't necessarily appeal to everyone. I couldn't get on with Captain Corelli's Mandolin and thoroughly disliked The Time Traveller's Wife.

Sara1954 Sat 27-Feb-21 07:32:35

Eloethan
I agree with many of your choices, I thought the Secret History was brilliant, but nothing she’s written since, has come close to it.
Love Anne Tyler, Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant probably my favourite, but I loved Digging to America.
Never really got into Tracey Chevalier.
Only came across Joyce Carol Oates a few years ago, but really enjoy her books.
Nick Hornby, great.
Anita Brookner, wonderful, I have all her books, I was always so exited when a new book came out, comfort reading at its best.
As we clearly have similar tastes I’ll be trying the other writers on your list.

Jumblygran Sat 27-Feb-21 07:31:46

I just finished reading The Hoarder thanks NellG for the recommendation. An amazing world she creates, I felt like I was reading a Tim Burton movie.

NellG Sat 27-Feb-21 01:09:19

Nice list Eloethan, a few I don't know but if they're as good as some on the list they will be a good find. Thank you.

Eloethan Sat 27-Feb-21 00:19:04

Donna Tartt (Secret History is probably my favourite book of all time)
Anne Tyler (love her earlier books, not so keen on newer ones)
Maggie Gee
Laurie Graham
Tracy Chevalier
David Nicholls
Anita Brookner
Joyce Carol Oates
Lee Langley
Lissa Evans
Nick Hornby
Sarah Winman
Lesley Glaister

hollysteers Fri 26-Feb-21 22:04:58

Madashell The Summer Book was chosen for our bookgroup. Completely new to me and I found it utterly enchanting.

Madashell Fri 26-Feb-21 11:27:35

Love to hear about books others have enjoyed, there are so many out there it can be confusing. I am missing the charity shop bookshelves right now, you never know what you’re going to find. I must recommend Barbara Kingsolver, and American author; The Poisonwood Bible remains my favourite of hers, followed by Flight Behaviour and The Lacuna. I recently read Patricia Highsmith’s Edith’s Diary - not uplifting but definitely shows how some women’s lives go along. For something gentle Tove Jansson’s The Summer Book is read annually ( not a Moomin book!). Thanks for all the suggestions.

NellG Tue 23-Feb-21 09:32:50

hollysteers - Same here, it takes me years to get past hype sometimes. I know it's irrational but I can't help it. Hence starting this thread, getting the word out for authors who don't get typed as much as they could/should.

rubysong Everything I know about guns and street fighting I learned from Lee Child and Jack Reacher, ?. I know what you mean about research - I don't know if some authors are so fascinated they just have to share every detail, or whether it took so long they must justify it by bulking out the book. It's always more interesting when it's naturally woven through the story though, and I suppose shows the skill of the author. Must have a look at Val Wood.

rubysong Tue 23-Feb-21 09:16:21

What a great thread. So many good suggestions. I'm not interested in murder mysteries but I like historical and family stories. I am enjoying books by Val Wood. They are set in Hull and the East Riding and are well written. They are well researched but do not thrust the research at the reader as some do.

CanadianGran Tue 23-Feb-21 03:58:05

L.R Wright
Most of you won't have heard of her, but I have enjoyed all her mystery/crime books. In 1986 she won the Edgar award, beating out 2 of R. Rendell's! I think some of her books are available on Kindle/Amazon.

She is now deceased; her last book was in 2001. I had picked up a second hand book for a beach read perhaps in mid 90's and then proceeded to read all her books. I am starting a re-read of whatever books the library still may have.

Will look up The House we Grew Up In, and The Hoarder.

Have read my first Anne Cleeves novel lately, and will look for others. I read The Long Call, and will look for others in the same series.

Thanks for the recommendations!

hollysteers Tue 23-Feb-21 00:15:04

I’m currently devouring Elizabeth Taylor’s novels (not the film star) and am surprised she is not more popular.
Also Rose Macaulay, Dorothy Whipple and Willa Cather. All written a long time ago, but fabulous. I’m struggling with Elizabeth Bowen from the same era though.
If a book (or film) is heavily hyped, it really puts me off.
Sometimes later on, I will read the book or watch the film and realise how good it is and I was mistaken to be prejudiced by publicity.
It also puts me off if someone presses a book on me saying “You MUST read this!”?

Oldbat1 Sat 20-Feb-21 18:07:17

Back to the Richard Osman book. I’ve been trying to read it but struggling. I’ve also tried to listened to the Radio 4 podcast abridged version and it sends me to sleep. However I will settle one day to give it a really good go as my friend keeps asking how I’m getting on with it as she loved it!
Just reading another Fiona Valpy book on my kindle. Partly set in Scotland and now on the Ile de Re - both favourite places so it will be enjoyable.
Diana Gaboldan, maeve Binchy, Kate Atkinson, Penelope Lively, Ian Rankin are good reads.

Sara1954 Sat 20-Feb-21 17:21:51

Sorry, Mrs Woo, it was you who came up with the Jalna author, it’s been niggling at me!