Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Authors you want to shout about

(230 Posts)
NellG Tue 16-Feb-21 13:04:05

Have you ever read book so good you can't understand why it's not a bestseller? Yet when you mention it no one ( or very few) has/have heard of either the book or the author. My current favourite is Jess Kidd, she's absolutely brilliant, she reminds me of Kate Atkinson, Diane Setterfield and Edna O'Brien all rolled up into accessible, beautifully written, readable fiction.

NellG Tue 16-Feb-21 14:24:37

Witzend Off to look them up!

Sarah48 I was disappointed with the Miniaturist, I think I left it too late to read and succumbed to the hype so much no book would have lived up to it. Plus JB was such a media 'darling' by then I think I was a bit irritated by the excessive coverage, so I may have been a bit biased.

Patsy70 Tue 16-Feb-21 14:24:55

This is a good thread. I’m always looking for new authors (to me, that is). Another vote for Catherine Ryan Hyde, who I discovered last year and have since read a few of her books. Other favourites are Elizabeth Buchan, Lucinda Riley’s ‘The Seven Sisters’, Mike Gayle and many more, who don’t immediately spring to mind. ?

harold Tue 16-Feb-21 14:25:59

I particularly like the 44 Scotland Street series which is about some individuals and families living in Edinburgh, These books are written by Alexander McCall Smith who also writes The No. 1 Lady's Detective Agency series.

Bridie22 Tue 16-Feb-21 14:30:01

NellG, yes I have found his books adapt to films quite easily, My favourite being Atonement.

tinaf1 Tue 16-Feb-21 14:30:22

I used to love Maeve Binchey books and have struggled to find anyone who’s books match, but I have read quite a few of Rosean Meaney books and really like her style

sodapop Tue 16-Feb-21 14:30:34

Sarah48 I have to agree about Sophie Hannah, her early books were good but the later ones - oh dear.
So many books are hyped up in the media and turn out to be drivel as NellG said about Gone Girl and its ilk.
I like books which come in series and have a thread running through them, Elly Griffiths,Susan Hill, Harry Bingham. One of my all time favourites is Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. I like time slip books so enjoy Barbara Erskine as well.

kittylester Tue 16-Feb-21 14:41:24

I love anything at all by Jojo Moyes.

kittylester Tue 16-Feb-21 14:44:04

And Stephanie Butland and Beth OLeary. I also enjoy Elizabeth Buchan.

Sara1954 Tue 16-Feb-21 14:50:38

Sodapop
I agree with you about Sophie Hannah, I’ve tried a couple, and won’t be trying anymore, I thought they were very mediocre.

I also like books that continue through a series, you get to know the characters, and it’s like meeting up with old friends. I’m thinking Patricia Cornwell, Peter Robinson, Susan Hill, Anne Cleeves and endless others.

So many books, and never enough time.
I

NellG Tue 16-Feb-21 14:52:04

This is brilliant, thank you smile I'd hit a massive reading slump and have been struggling to know where to look for new authors and books that I might like, so all these new names are great.

Please do keep them coming.

NellG Tue 16-Feb-21 14:55:12

Sarah1954 I'm sure I saw somewhere that Patricia Cornwell is doing another Scarpetta book soon.

kittylester Jojo Moyes I've read a few, I'll look up the others.

Sara1954 Tue 16-Feb-21 14:57:31

Nell
Thanks for that, but I came to them late, and I’m reading them in order, so I’m still a few behind

TerriBull Tue 16-Feb-21 15:02:55

"I do find recommendations from others far more useful than chart ratings" The very reason I lurked on MN, for their book threads more than anything else. Often little heard of books created such a buzz, that often gave me the impetus to read them. Books I otherwise wouldn't have stumbled across. Here are some that I fell in love with, so much so, I felt utterly bereft when I finished them.

Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides
The Quincunx - (it's not rude it's Latin grin) possibly one of the longest books I've ever read, over 1,200 pages. A brilliant, if not convoluted Dickens pastiche set in the early 19th century, essentially about an inheritance. Author Charles Palliser, I don't think he's written anything else, "author exhaustion" I imagine!
The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver
The Crimson Petal and The White - Michel Faber
The Goldfinch - Donna Tart, although I'd read her already her two other books so she wasn't unknown to me.
The Heart's Invisible Furies - John Boyne.

Not all recommendations over on MN were to my liking hated these.

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
Lincoln In The Bardo - George Saunders.

Other authors I love, pretty much anything by Kate Morton, a lot of the late Ruth Rendell's stuff, particularly her Barbara Vine books and I absolutely adored The Blind Assassin and Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood, Ian McEwan's Atonement.

Sara1954 Tue 16-Feb-21 15:06:14

TerriBull

I can’t believe what you’re saying.

A Prayer for Owen Meany would be in my top ten ever favourite books.

TerriBull Tue 16-Feb-21 15:11:22

Well there you go Sarah, books, they're just so subjective grin You can't please all the people all the time, only some of the people some of the time. How true!

Sara1954 Tue 16-Feb-21 15:16:24

TerriBull
Most of your other selections I agree with, but didn’t like The Goldfinch,

Another favourite is Margaret Drabble, and I loved Margaret Forsters early books

Kim19 Tue 16-Feb-21 15:18:55

Another vote for Alexander McCall Smith but my preferred series of his would be the Isabel Dalhousie one. Thought provoking but gentle stuff. Just my cup of tea.

NellG Tue 16-Feb-21 15:32:42

Terribull Please tell me the Quincunx is on Kindle? Not sure the wrists could take it!

NellG Tue 16-Feb-21 15:34:26

Kim19 Sometimes the gentler stuff hits exactly the right spot doesn't it?

TerriBull Tue 16-Feb-21 16:11:07

NellG

Terribull Please tell me the Quincunx is on Kindle? Not sure the wrists could take it!

I'm not a Kindle owner Nell, but it damn well should be! I think even 18 year old me who lugged Lord of The Rings up to London on my daily commute might baulk at trying to slip The Quincunx into my handbag now, weaker wrists and all that grin

May7 Tue 16-Feb-21 17:02:47

Fiona Valpy. I love her style.. particularly the Beekeepers Promise and The Dressmakets gift.

Also anything by Victoria Hislop I can't put down eg The Island, Cartes Postales, The Thread. I'm obsessed with Greece and her islands and her descriptive writing takes me back there.

Sarah48 Tue 16-Feb-21 17:19:36

“The girl with the louding voice” by Abi Dare was recommended by a friend with similar reading tastes to me, but I haven’t read it yet.

Lisagran Tue 16-Feb-21 17:25:34

I love the Alexander McCall Smith “No 1 Ladies Detective Agency” books, as our middle daughter taught in Botswana for 2 years and we went out to stay with her. Lovely reading the books / feels like being there smile

Love Anne Cleeves and Elly Griffiths books

TerriBull Tue 16-Feb-21 17:32:27

Anne Cleeves and Elly Griffiths are consistently good crime writers. I enjoyed The Long Call, particularly the change of setting to North Devon along with new detective. I shall probably be reading the new Ruth Galloway pretty soon my husband is reading it right now.

westendgirl Tue 16-Feb-21 17:33:44

I love anything by Elif Shafak. I found her work when I came across " The Forty Rules of Love ".

I do agree that books are very personal and have often been disappointed by recommendations. Having said that i have just ordered "Himself " ..( see earlier postings )