Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Beautiful illustrations _

(31 Posts)
Kaimoana Wed 03-Mar-21 22:18:25

I'm hoping to start a small library for my grand-daughter. She has an elder brother, so they already have all the classics.

Do you have any suggestions for books with beautiful illustrations that I can add to our list?

It doesn't matter if they are out of print, so books from the past are fine.

What books delighted you and your children with their lovely pictures?

Nannarose Mon 08-Mar-21 18:06:18

How lovely to be reminded of such classics!
I agree about Jackie Morris, and The Lost Words and the Lost Spells are wonderful.
Jan Pienkowski did some lovely illustrations for the classic Xmas & Easter stories - they look like illuminated manuscripts, and this atheist liked to have those 'founding stories' on the bookshelf.
Really for adults, but all of my GCs get The Man Who Planted Trees - a lovely tale for our times - and it resonates with a family legend. Fine for older children.

CherryCezzy Mon 08-Mar-21 19:55:34

What about Hans Christian Anderson's Complete Fairy Tales illustrated by Kay Neilsen or other children's books she illustrated. Brilliant illustrator.

Kaimoana Wed 10-Mar-21 00:49:43

Ashcombe I loved that Wonky Donkey video and have posted the link on the Lockdown thread to cheer people up. I'm sure it will; how can you not laugh along with that lovely grandma?

I have to be very careful what books I buy as my very protective dil won't have the likes of Grimm's Fairy Tales in the house. Don't blame her when I remember some of the things which caused my nightmares from them, Andersen and Struwelpeter.

Cherry I'll look for Kay Neilsen though - thank you smile

Kaimoana Wed 10-Mar-21 00:52:47

Oooh, Kay Neilsen is a man!
I suppose I should have known from the legend of the Ice Queen grin
Gorgeous illustrations.

CherryCezzy Wed 10-Mar-21 01:16:40

Oops ?