Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Raynor Winn - The Salt Path

(15 Posts)
TerriBull Tue 06-Apr-21 16:46:09

I've been reading The Salt Path, such a fantastic book. Wanting to find out some more about the author, Raynor Winn, I've been Googling her. There appears to be a couple of obituaries for her, this rather conflicts with other articles and her Wikipedia page. I really hope that isn't the case having overcome so many difficulties. I know this book was a favourite on GN maybe last year or even further back. I wonder if anyone else has read anything about how she is doing now or her husband who was diagnosed with a terminal illness when they were doing their long coastal walk along the south west coast of England. I know she has also written a follow up to the SP which I will definitely read too now I've enjoyed this one so much.

BBbevan Tue 06-Apr-21 16:48:38

I too have read that she died. However her husband did not. Sorry I can’t remember where I got that information. It might have been when I was looking for her next book.

TerriBull Tue 06-Apr-21 16:50:23

It's very strange recent articles about her don't mention that either of them have died.

simtib Tue 06-Apr-21 17:11:51

I find her death mentioned on facebook and a few places but none of them are reliable sources of information. I would have thought her death would have been mentioned in a reliable newspaper or somewhere.

Lisagran Tue 06-Apr-21 17:14:27

Wonderful books, both of them. Raynor and her husband are still both alive; her mother died recently, aged 90. This article was in today’s New York Times -

www.nytimes.com/2021/04/06/books/review/the-wild-silence-raynor-winn.html

Katyj Tue 06-Apr-21 17:17:18

Raynor Winn just been on Twitter talking about her new book release .

Blossoming Tue 06-Apr-21 17:17:31

I don’t think either of them has died.

TerriBull Tue 06-Apr-21 17:33:13

The obituaries were strangely vague, it did make me doubt them. Like you I read the article in the New York Times Lisagran, it does seem that she and her husband are still alive, which I'm very pleased to hear.

I look forward to reading her next book, I hope in that she sheds some more light on the dodgy investment that robbed them of their family home.

I would definitely take The Salt Path to Cornwall, or Devon for that matter if I go to those places again, whenever that may be, I'd like to re read extracts and be in the place she is writing about.

Hollyhock1 Tue 06-Apr-21 17:38:59

She's definitely alive and kicking as I follow her on Instagram.

TerriBull Tue 06-Apr-21 17:53:23

I'm really pleased about that. It must be very disquieting to read your own obituary if you are still very much alive. Also very misleading. I can't help wondering why Raynor can't get them taken down.

Oldbat1 Tue 06-Apr-21 18:15:10

I read the Salt Path and have started the next book via my local library using BorrowBox.

blue25 Tue 06-Apr-21 18:23:11

I hated this book, found her to be very negative and moany. Still alive though I believe.

simtib Tue 06-Apr-21 18:32:11

Glad to hear they are both alive.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Apr-21 18:39:39

I think the obituary relates to her mother.

Treebee Tue 06-Apr-21 19:13:49

I loved the Salt Path and was pleased to see Raynor Winn on one of those ‘celebrity goes walking in England ‘ programmes recently. The Wild Silence, her follow up is a good read too. The rest of my book group disliked the Salt Path immensely but I stand my ground!