Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Raynor Winn - The Salt Path

(26 Posts)
TerriBull Tue 06-Apr-21 16:46:09

I've been reading The Salt Path, such a fantastic book. Wanting to find out some more about the author, Raynor Winn, I've been Googling her. There appears to be a couple of obituaries for her, this rather conflicts with other articles and her Wikipedia page. I really hope that isn't the case having overcome so many difficulties. I know this book was a favourite on GN maybe last year or even further back. I wonder if anyone else has read anything about how she is doing now or her husband who was diagnosed with a terminal illness when they were doing their long coastal walk along the south west coast of England. I know she has also written a follow up to the SP which I will definitely read too now I've enjoyed this one so much.

BBbevan Tue 06-Apr-21 16:48:38

I too have read that she died. However her husband did not. Sorry I can’t remember where I got that information. It might have been when I was looking for her next book.

TerriBull Tue 06-Apr-21 16:50:23

It's very strange recent articles about her don't mention that either of them have died.

simtib Tue 06-Apr-21 17:11:51

I find her death mentioned on facebook and a few places but none of them are reliable sources of information. I would have thought her death would have been mentioned in a reliable newspaper or somewhere.

Lisagran Tue 06-Apr-21 17:14:27

Wonderful books, both of them. Raynor and her husband are still both alive; her mother died recently, aged 90. This article was in today’s New York Times -

www.nytimes.com/2021/04/06/books/review/the-wild-silence-raynor-winn.html

Katyj Tue 06-Apr-21 17:17:18

Raynor Winn just been on Twitter talking about her new book release .

Blossoming Tue 06-Apr-21 17:17:31

I don’t think either of them has died.

TerriBull Tue 06-Apr-21 17:33:13

The obituaries were strangely vague, it did make me doubt them. Like you I read the article in the New York Times Lisagran, it does seem that she and her husband are still alive, which I'm very pleased to hear.

I look forward to reading her next book, I hope in that she sheds some more light on the dodgy investment that robbed them of their family home.

I would definitely take The Salt Path to Cornwall, or Devon for that matter if I go to those places again, whenever that may be, I'd like to re read extracts and be in the place she is writing about.

Hollyhock1 Tue 06-Apr-21 17:38:59

She's definitely alive and kicking as I follow her on Instagram.

TerriBull Tue 06-Apr-21 17:53:23

I'm really pleased about that. It must be very disquieting to read your own obituary if you are still very much alive. Also very misleading. I can't help wondering why Raynor can't get them taken down.

Oldbat1 Tue 06-Apr-21 18:15:10

I read the Salt Path and have started the next book via my local library using BorrowBox.

blue25 Tue 06-Apr-21 18:23:11

I hated this book, found her to be very negative and moany. Still alive though I believe.

simtib Tue 06-Apr-21 18:32:11

Glad to hear they are both alive.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Apr-21 18:39:39

I think the obituary relates to her mother.

Treebee Tue 06-Apr-21 19:13:49

I loved the Salt Path and was pleased to see Raynor Winn on one of those ‘celebrity goes walking in England ‘ programmes recently. The Wild Silence, her follow up is a good read too. The rest of my book group disliked the Salt Path immensely but I stand my ground!

MollyAA12 Wed 21-Apr-21 16:13:01

I loved this book but found their diet strange. Theyused to buy packets of fudge and noodles. Surely that money could have bought bread rolls and/or ham and cheese.

Parsley3 Wed 21-Apr-21 16:15:59

I read this book and thought their choice of lifestyle was adventurous but certainly not for me. I need my daily shower.

TerriBull Wed 21-Apr-21 16:38:56

I do hope Raynor Winn's book sales have given them both some financial stability given the dire straits they found themselves in at the beginning of The Salt Path.

Bridie22 Wed 21-Apr-21 17:45:35

Just finished " the wild silence" by raynor winn, follow on from the salt path. Lovely book.

fevertree Wed 21-Apr-21 18:03:12

She is very much alive, I heard her just the other week on a "book festival" talk, live (but on Zoom of course).

He has good days and not-so-good days (she said, because everyone wants to know) and she is hale and hearty.

I also enjoyed both books, although I got bored with the Iceland hiking trip in the second book.

Bakingmad0203 Thu 29-Apr-21 07:51:43

I’ve just finished reading The Wild Silence. I enjoyed it once I’d got back into her style of writing. Very descriptive, but I agree with you fevertree that the Iceland hiking trip was a bit repetitive and I didn’t feel I was there, unlike the rest of the book. The two books have certainly opened up my eyes to the environment and nature.

Ninn Wed 05-May-21 17:58:35

Glad I'm not alone here! I persevered through this and found the constant moaning and introspection of their situation very tedious. And before anyone wants to jump on me for my lack of empathy - I lost my home and smallholding, my livlihood, and faced destitution. Fortunately after being offered only B&B by the council for my 4 children and myself I found a house owned by the National Trust who, knowing our circumstances still let us rent it. The consequence of the emotional trauma resulted in me getting seriously ill with cancer and my husband leaving us, but eventually I got work and got well so... I get their plight. Spent most of my life in Cornwall and walked on the coastal path, frankly so much of her observations about the county just didn't ring true. Her viewpoint of visitors and locals is very limited and her judgmental attutude about this is miles away from the reality of living there and the ctucial importance of tourism. But there is so much more to Cornwall than second home owners and holidaymakers. You really can't sum up a place from a long walk along it's perimeters. I acknowledge that some of the writing about nature was really well done, but it didn't compensate for all the angst and overwriting. And as someone else pointed out:what's with all the fudge?!

J52 Wed 05-May-21 18:27:44

I agree with you Ninn. Well said.

Shinamae Wed 05-May-21 18:35:59

Having read good and bad reviews about this book I am intrigued and will try to get it on my kindle as I am living in the Southwest

Shinamae Wed 05-May-21 18:39:16

I’ve just bought it ?