Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Meghan, but not Meghan

(230 Posts)
Ellianne Wed 05-May-21 08:02:06

Well it was on the BBC and I love children's books!

I was interested to see what this book was all about so took a quick look. Let's be fair, it is a first attempt.

The illustrations are lovely, very soft almost pastel shades, ideal for gentle bedtime reading. Yawn.

The people are a bit thin and wooden and I was disappointed the dogs weren't in the book.

Now for the rhyming. I'm not sure about the cadence, very contrived. Where are all the commas?
I don't know when to breathe.
The script is tiny, I need two pairs of glasses. Actually, come to think of it the print should be far bigger if it is designed for younger children to read

Would you buy it for your grandchildren? Does it resonate and get any message across? £12.99 reduced to £9.99. Is you want it, please hurry it might just sell out.

suziewoozie Wed 05-May-21 10:15:12

Ellianne

Quentin Blake was Roald Dahl's illustrator.

Thanks - thought it might have been. Perfect for the content imo

grandMattie Wed 05-May-21 10:15:48

Quentin Blake has also written his own charming books,my favourite being “Mr. Magnolia” which also doubles up as a counting book. My children absolutely loved it.

Deedaa Wed 05-May-21 10:17:28

My two both enjoyed Prince Charles's book, as far as I can remember it wasn't trying to get a point across, just a story and all the profits went to the Prince's Trust.

I haven't read any of David Walliams' books but Ben Miller has written some good ones.

I was struck by the small type in the bits I've seen of Meghan's one. I can imagine the average small boy saying "Not that one again Mummy! can we read something exciting?"

My two oldest GSs are both deeply into Harry Potter, like Roald Dahl and the older one used to love Thomas the Tank Engine. Woe betide you if you got any of the names wrong!

Ellianne Wed 05-May-21 10:20:47

merlotgran

A woman weeping at the window is something that would have to be explained to a small child. I suppose that’s where the author is coming from.

Heaven forbid a day should go by without a bit of introspection - Start ‘em young! ?

I think you're kind if right merlot. It is unusual for an adult writer to transfer their emotions to a young child who has no conception of these feelings? Luckily most of it goes over the top of their heads.
I know even at 18 when I studied the greats of literature I had no idea what they were on about in terms of love, war, death, loss, guilt, grief etc.

suziewoozie Wed 05-May-21 10:22:58

Ellianne

^This thread is nothing to do with children’s books but another nasty mean spirited excuse to carry on kicking Meghan.^

You are wrong there suziewoozie.

Oh no I’m not

maddyone Wed 05-May-21 10:24:02

I studied Tess of the D’urbervilles for A level and again later. It’s my all time favourite classic book.

Ellianne Wed 05-May-21 10:27:05

maddyone

I studied Tess of the D’urbervilles for A level and again later. It’s my all time favourite classic book.

And don't you gain more from it later as a "proper" adult who has experienced more of life?

Little kids prefer fun, laughter, animals, magic, adventure ... not deep feelings. Their lives are simple, innocent.

Grandma70s Wed 05-May-21 10:27:16

The extracts I’ve seen are total doggerel. Really, really poor quality writing. It must be galling for decent writers who can’t find a publisher to see this stuff promoted.

Ellianne Wed 05-May-21 10:31:51

An example page

Callistemon Wed 05-May-21 10:32:15

Lucca

Celebs writing.....I don’t rate david Williams children’s books to be honest.

We may not but DGS loved them when he was younger, they must have appealed to his sense of humour at that age.

We did watch the film Gangsta Granny together, I enjoyed that.

I haven't seen this book by Meghan but it seems to be the 'in' thing to do.
No doubt it will sell because of who she is.
I find it a bit sad to cash in on fame if you have not much talent for fiction as there are so many good struggling authors out there.

Greendress Wed 05-May-21 10:35:34

Don't think this book would appeal to my 7 year old Grandaughter whose most adored books are 'Adventures of a Travelling Cat' by Giles Ekins and David Walliams 'Gangster Granny'.

Rosie51 Wed 05-May-21 10:37:25

Grandma70s publishers are interested in making money. If only the public didn't flock to buy anything that comes with a celebrity name on the front, perhaps unknown writers in all genres from cooking to zoology would prosper more. It must be so disheartening for talented writers to observe that celebrity offers a fast track over talent.

maddyone Wed 05-May-21 10:37:51

...don’t you gain more from it later as a ‘proper’ adult......

Yes indeed Ellianne but I did find it very emotive as an a young eighteen year old. I’ve read it several times and seen films and plays of it. It never fails to touch me. But of course it’s written for adults, and this thread is about children’s books. Better get back to that.

maddyone Wed 05-May-21 10:39:46

Rosie51

Grandma70s publishers are interested in making money. If only the public didn't flock to buy anything that comes with a celebrity name on the front, perhaps unknown writers in all genres from cooking to zoology would prosper more. It must be so disheartening for talented writers to observe that celebrity offers a fast track over talent.

I agree with this Rosie, but over time most celebs books fail.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 05-May-21 10:44:40

Lucca

Celebs writing.....I don’t rate david Williams children’s books to be honest.

I have a friend who is a retired Primary School Headmistress. She is still involved in children’s books and indeed has been on judging panels for competitions. She is not keen on David Walliam’s books and thinks they are badly written. However, she reckons children love them!

Chewbacca Wed 05-May-21 10:45:52

Why do you have to be so hyperbolic?

Possibly the same reason as you sigh so much? hmm

maddyone Wed 05-May-21 10:52:36

It’s a bit like Enid Blyton, always maligned by those in the know, but I loved them as a child, and now my seven year old granddaughter can’t get enough of them, despite having had a diet of very good children’s literature since babyhood.

Chewbacca Wed 05-May-21 10:59:36

Agree re Enid Blyton maddyone; I seem to recall that her books were frowned upon for a long time but they completely captured the imagination and attention of my children and now my GC. Personally, I feel that any book that encourages a child to read and enjoy books is a good book.

Sparklefizz Wed 05-May-21 11:10:42

M is being accused of plagiarism now, comparing her book and similar illustrations to one by Corrinne Averiss called The Boy on the Bench.

Grandma70s Wed 05-May-21 11:11:52

Enid Blyton write some lovely books on nature study in her early days, but even as a child I thought her adventure stories and Famous Five etc very dull. What boring children! I much preferred Noel Streatfeild (Ballet Shoes etc) who wrote about fully formed characters who did interesting things.

TerriBull Wed 05-May-21 11:19:37

I agree re David Walliams Callistemon, children seem to love them.

When one of my children was going through junior school, The Goosebumps series was very popular, so much so, the teacher at the time would often put notes in the children's reading diaries to the effect, "encourage your child to read something else, these books are very badly written!"

Daisend1 Wed 05-May-21 11:22:04

maddyone
Who is the author? HRH Meghan Duchess of Sussex ?

maddyone Wed 05-May-21 11:29:13

Daisendl
I know who the author is. Did I write that? Where and in relation to what?

Callistemon Wed 05-May-21 11:30:26

I think I’ll stick with Julia Donaldson

Was that a pun ??

I love Stickman

maddyone Wed 05-May-21 11:30:32

I can’t find a post where I asked who the author is. Probably because I know who the author is.