Gransnet forums

Books/book club

In praise of Julia Donaldson, Jill Murphy and many others

(42 Posts)
suziewoozie Wed 05-May-21 09:52:53

One of the many joys of being a grandparent has been revisiting with the dgc the books my dd loved and also discovering others. Off the top of my head here’s some that I cherish for many different reasons

Peace at Last
Whatever Next
Mog the Forgetful Cat
Room on the Broom
The Shark in the Dark
On the Way Home
Where the Wild Things Are
The Owl who was Afraid of the Dark
The Paperbag Princess
Panda’s Puzzle
Goodnight Owl
The Tiger who Came to Tea

Some are funny, some touching, some lead to gentle discussions of certain fears or ways of behaving . All are beautifully illustrated. What shared long lasting joy they have brought. Anyone got some of their favourites to add?

NotSpaghetti Thu 06-May-21 16:34:14

My children also liked In the Night Kitchen which they found pleasantly scary and also Outside Over There which again is a little like a dream.

Recently I bought this for my granddaughter and it is truly magical...
www.goodreads.com/book/show/23130340-in-a-village-by-the-sea

NotSpaghetti Thu 06-May-21 16:28:16

Mr. Magnolia is fabulous.
And also that Russell Hoban / Quentin Blake delight How Tom beat Captain Najork and his Hired Sportsmen
(And other Najork joys)!

Galaxy Thu 06-May-21 16:15:56

Michael Rosen reciting the Bear Hunt is a joy to behold. He has a very unique style.

Zaseret Thu 06-May-21 16:02:00

The 2 Zog books are great. The usual wonderfulDonaldson rhymes and pictures, lessons about trying hard at school and a message that a princess doesn’t have to wear a frilly dress but can have a career which goes down well with DiL. I’ve made it sound much more earnest than it is, it’s been my 5 year old GD’s book of choice for quite a while.

Litterpicker Thu 06-May-21 15:45:43

LullyDully I had forgotten about The Elephant and the Bad Baby. Thank you for the reminder - great story to read aloud.
J52 I’m glad someone else remembers the Wild Washerwomen and I laughed at your warning ?

Gingster Wed 05-May-21 19:21:00

Hairy Maclairy from Donaldsons dairy

J52 Wed 05-May-21 19:04:16

My boys loved The Wild Washerwomen’and when they were older, going out for the evening my stock phrase was “ beware of the Wild Washerwomen’ !

grandMattie Wed 05-May-21 18:44:58

suziewoozie

Don’t know that one - which age group would you say?

Mr. Magnolia? Oh, probably 18 months to 4ish. It is utterly charming, a Quentin Blake book. My children loved it.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-May-21 17:09:54

I posted this once but it didn’t “go”

My DD lives just up from Julia Donaldson. She is a lovely lady and has involved herself in the village in lots of ways, including buying the Post Office and shop so that it is kept as such for the village. The village has a gorgeous book shop which she has frequently done signings in etc.

AGAA4 Wed 05-May-21 16:59:43

My children loved the Mr Men books. My GS, almost 2, loves Slinky Malinky. He is on holiday in a forest this week and is going to look for the Gruffalo.

Callistemon Wed 05-May-21 16:56:46

I think Julia Donaldson is my all time favourite but I love Owl Babies by Martin Waddell.

DGD loved The Owl Babies and always recited Bill's words.

Lots of the above - all still on the shelf now

Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell etc
The Spot the Dog books by Eric Carle which had 'feelie' pages
10 Little Rubber Ducks by Eric Carle
Burglar Bill
Bear Hunt
Stickman etc

Little Grey Rabbit's Busy Day is a favourite even now.
As is Grandpa Bear's Blossom Shop, another oldie.

LucyLocket55 Wed 05-May-21 16:51:59

Hairy McLarey from Donaldson’s Dairy.

Unbeatable and recently dusted off for reading to my granddaughters - all the books are brilliant.

Not forgetting Scarface Claw, the toughest Tom in town,

Greyduster Wed 05-May-21 16:18:17

Sharing a Shell was a favourite with GS, as was The Whale and the Snail; and one rhyming story called Bubble Trouble by Margaret Mahy about a baby that gets trapped in a bubble and floats away, and everyone’s hilarious efforts to rescue him. And yes, Dear Zoo, and the wonderful Winnie the Witch series. Later when he started to read, we liked Man on the Moon by Simon Bartram, Flat Stanley, and the Katie Morag books.

LullyDully Wed 05-May-21 15:51:43

All the above.

My GD used to love Charlie Cook's Favourite Book. Another JD classic.

I love Where The Wild Things Are and Can't You Sleep Little Bear, not to mention The Elephant and the Bad Baby which is so funny. Could go on for a while so will be quiet.

Rosie51 Wed 05-May-21 13:52:10

Bear Hunt makes a lovely "recite and actions" performance for young children, and the audience always seem to thoroughly enjoy it.

Sara1954 Wed 05-May-21 13:49:45

Galaxy
My granddaughter and I know all the words to Bear Hunt, and we say them in the car to keep her awake after nursery.

Galaxy Wed 05-May-21 13:46:31

Big bear little bear and cant you sleep little bear are beautiful and make me cry. The two that hold the attention of pre schoolers at my work are Dear Zoo and Going on a Bear Hunt.

Litterpicker Wed 05-May-21 13:16:54

Don’t Forget the Bacon by Pat Hutchins was a favourite with my children. They also enjoyed Hop on Pop by Dr Seuss and another of his, Great Day for Up about exhorting everyone and everything to wake up in the morning. We also enjoyed one called The Wild Washerwoman, a feminist tale with a sense of humour! Mr Rabbit and the Lovely Present was another we could almost recite word for word.

The grandchildren all loved Julia Donaldson’s stories with Axel Scheffler, Lydia Monks and others illustrating. Youngest granddaughter, age 2, likes Polly Dunbar’s Tilly series. Mini Grey’s Traction Man series have fun visual jokes for all ages.

For anyone looking for inspiration Booktrust has a great website booktrust.org.uk

Rosie51 Wed 05-May-21 11:17:26

Just remembered one, Some Dogs Do by Jez Alborough. My grandson with severe autism and learning difficulties absolutely adored this one, way past the targeted age group. It was a real bedtime favourite.

TerriBull Wed 05-May-21 11:07:20

we they

TerriBull Wed 05-May-21 11:05:00

We moved during lockdown, my husband asked me to thin some books out, including the children's ones but I couldn't, so many memories.

Yes great fan of Julia Donaldson, she was new to us when our grandchildren arrived they both loved The Gruffalo, Room on The Broom and my grandson went through a phase aged about 3 when he only wanted Stick Man read to him. They are wonderful books, capture the imagination and the illustrations are simply some of the very best!

Peace at Last, Mrs Large the Elephant, Mog, The Hungry Caterpillar, the wonderful Shirley Hughes, Alfie/Dogger/Lucy and Tom were all tried and tested on our own children. Still have those, along with Six Dinner Sid. My children were fans of Roald Dahl, his humour was dark but I think it appealed to children, his Revolting Rhymes were quite funny.

The books I did off load, were Thomas The Tank Engine, my kids loved them but they were oh so boring! I did think I can't revisit those again, and then my grandson found one lurking at the back of a cupboard and asked me to read it to him, but I managed to deliberately lose it and for good before he asked for it again! My granddaughter liked Alice in Wonderland, like me, I bought her a very illustrated one when she was quite young so she could follow it easily.

A favourite book with both children and grandchildren we had was called "Bad Mood Bear". The premise being bear stays up playing with his toys when he should have been asleep and wakes up in a bad mood, bad behaviour ensues going from bad to worse, breakfast thrown off the table finally culminating in bear kicking grandad. Little brows were always furrowed when listening to this story, I could imagine the concept of bad behaviour resonating when making the connection between that and lack of sleep. My little grandson would say to grandad, who often read the story, "I wouldn't kick you grandad, even if I was in a bad mood!"

Sadly we haven't been to stay lately, some fleeting visits only. I believe they've acquired all manner of electronic gadgetry now, hope the books haven't become obsolete sad

Ealdemodor Wed 05-May-21 11:00:41

My daughter, Victoria, is 38, and used to have a book by Allan Ahlberg called Woof, about a boy who turns into a dog.
Some children’s books are not particularly funny to adults, but I used to corpse when I read this aloud to Victoria.
I have a three year old granddaughter now, hope I can find this book again.

Rosie51 Wed 05-May-21 10:53:01

Love most of those listed and would add

Winnie the Witch series
Goodnight Moon

Is Dr Seuss completely persona non grata now? Some of his stories have very good lessons in them...... The Sneetches and Horton hears a Who for example.

suziewoozie Wed 05-May-21 10:50:51

Paperbag Princess is an absolute hoot. A child’s introduction to challenging gender stereotyping ??

maddyone Wed 05-May-21 10:50:00

Sorry, that post was about Panda’s Puzzle.