Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Help - I need to choose a book for my book club.

(114 Posts)
dragonfly46 Tue 13-Jul-21 10:48:04

It is my turn to choose a book for my book club. They like 'good' books not chicklit or necessarily best sellers but well written books.
I am at present and enjoying 'A Little Life' but it is too long for them and also quite expensive.
Does anyone have a suggestion?

Sparklefizz Tue 13-Jul-21 10:54:12

Valentine by Elizabeth Wetmore - very thought provoking and it has stayed with me. Well written and our Book Group loved it.

Grandmajean Tue 13-Jul-21 11:03:23

The Dutch House by Anne Patchett
Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell

MagicWand Tue 13-Jul-21 11:06:32

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
One of the best books I’ve read in a long time.

PinkCosmos Tue 13-Jul-21 11:06:49

I have just finished reading Mix Tape by Jane Sanderson.

I loved it because it starts in the late seventies with a young girl (16) and her boyfriend (18). They live in Sheffield in their teens. Pop music from that time figures largely in the story, hence the book title. It really appealed to me as I was a teenager in the late seventies and knew all of the music e.g. Elvis Costello etc.

The story goes to the present time when the couple find one another again through social media. They are both married to other people.

I won't say anymore as it would spoil the plot but there would be quite a lot to talk about for a book club.

The other characters in the story are well drawn (in my opinion) so it isn't just about the two main characters.

I wouldn't say it is an intellectual book but it is well written and realistic.

This is the blurb:

'You never forget the one that got away.

Daniel was the first boy to make Alison a mix tape.

But that was years ago and Ali hasn’t thought about him in a very long time. Even if she had, she might not have called him ‘the one that got away’; after all, she’d been the one to run.

Then Dan’s name pops up on her phone, with a link to a song from their shared past.

For two blissful minutes, Alison is no longer an adult in Adelaide with temperamental daughters; she is sixteen in Sheffield, dancing in her skin-tight jeans. She cannot help but respond in kind.

And so begins a new mix tape.

Ali and Dan exchange songs – some new, some old – across oceans and time zones, across a lifetime of different experiences, until one of them breaks the rules and sends a message that will change everything…'

‘This grown-up love story is gorgeously written and romantic without being sentimental’ Good Housekeeping
'This tender tale of second chances... is a nostalgic delight' Sunday Mirror

If you do choose this book, please let me know what your book club thought.

jenniewren Tue 13-Jul-21 11:14:20

Our book club have just read The Vanishing Half by Britt Bennett. We all loved it and it provoked a lot of discussion. Highly recommend it.

Chrissyoh Tue 13-Jul-21 11:44:31

GirlA Abigail Dean
Valentine Elizabeth Wetmore

Welshwife Tue 13-Jul-21 11:54:15

Our book club loved - An Officer and a Spy by Robert Harris - about the Dreyfus Affair - very well researched and as usual well written.
I daresay you may well have read - the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pue Society - lovely book.

dragonfly46 Tue 13-Jul-21 12:06:32

Thank you ladies - I am spoilt for choice.
We have read The Dutch House, Hamnet and A Gentleman in Moscow and enjoyed all.
I have seen the film of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society but not read the book!

midgey Tue 13-Jul-21 12:09:26

Have you read The Salt Path by Raynor Winn? She has written another called The Wild Silence which I think I enjoyed more.

eazybee Tue 13-Jul-21 12:11:08

Burial Rites Hannah Kent
A Month in the Country J.L.Carr
Disgrace J,M,Coetzee
The Silence of the Girls Pat Barker

muse Tue 13-Jul-21 12:11:40

I’ve just started HIMSELF by Jess Kidd. It was recommended by someone on GN. It’s gripped me immediately.

fuseta Tue 13-Jul-21 12:27:20

Time and Time Again by Ben Elton. Riveting book examines the future if certain things in history had never happened. It is a story, but a very interesting concept.

Hithere Tue 13-Jul-21 12:45:08

Memoirs of a geisha is old but excellent
Gone with the wind is an amazing book - but almost 1000 pages
The godfather is a masterpiece

Chrissyoh Tue 13-Jul-21 13:12:55

Stoner John Williams
Olive Kitteridge Elizabeth Strout

Kate1949 Tue 13-Jul-21 13:23:32

Half a World Away by Mike Gayle is lovely. I love his books.

Lucca Tue 13-Jul-21 13:32:12

MagicWand

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
One of the best books I’ve read in a long time.

Another one by the same author “Rules of Civility”. Excellent.

As frequently recommended on here. Where the Crawdads Sing
All the light we cannot see

trisher Tue 13-Jul-21 13:34:44

Any of the Anne Tyler books are a good length -quite short but interesting characters and plots. The Beginner's Goodbye tackles the issues of grief and loss www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/215139/the-beginners-goodbye-by-anne-tyler/

J52 Tue 13-Jul-21 13:35:09

Your book club reads similar titles to mine. We’ve just read The Midnight Library by Matt Haigh. I’ve just read a good book which is lightheartedly funny, titled Maggsie NcNaughton’s Second Chance by Frances Maynard.

Flexagon Tue 13-Jul-21 13:51:46

I loved A Little Life, dragonfly46. Harrowing but a cracking good story. I agree, probably too long for a book group.

Some good choices here. Can I add American Dirt - Janine Cummins, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - Lisa See, Shuggie McBain - Douglas Stuart, Milkman - Anna Burns, The Mermaid of the Black Conch - Monique Roffey, The Essex Serpent - Sarah Perry and one of the most beautiful books I have ever read Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. The latter, part of a series anyway would make a good companion read to Stoner - John Williams suggested upthread.

Nannarose Tue 13-Jul-21 16:54:38

I see some lovely books already recommended, and a good many that my book group would have struggled to get through. I know you will be spoilt for choice, and indeed, may have already read these favourites:
As it's about the importance of books:
www.fantasticfiction.com/m/jojo-moyes/giver-of-stars.htm

This is a perennial, and I love it as it has double of everything, and if this is a women's group, you get 2 heroines and 2 villainesses as well as the usual clutch of characters:
www.fantasticfiction.com/c/wilkie-collins/woman-in-white.htm

We have loved real life memoirs like Lark Rise to Candleford and Child in the Forest.

And finally, a real revelation to suggest re-reading a childhood favourite like Little Women.

Chrissyoh Tue 13-Jul-21 17:02:39

Flexagon

Thanks for the recommended books !
Re : Gilead by Marylinne Robinson- I haven’t read it - but now intend to ?.
It’s on special price of 99p on Kindle in case anyone is interested.

Chrissyoh Tue 13-Jul-21 17:08:04

Maybe dragonfly46 will let us know which book she picks for her Bookclub?
?

Boz Tue 13-Jul-21 17:13:55

Palace of the Drowned - Christine Mangan.
Love a tale set in Venice with an air of mystery and menace.
Very good.

Sarnia Tue 13-Jul-21 17:18:03

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
Our House by Louise Candlish
Mudbound by Hillary Jordan

All 3 had scores of 9 and above from my book club friends.
Just a heads up that Mudbound is set in Mississippi after WW2 and includes the way black people were treated.