Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Audio books

(27 Posts)
Bettyrob Sun 18-Jul-21 12:37:44

I prefer audio books as my eyesight is troublesome sometimes. As a pensioner I am now on a limited income and would appreciate any suggestions about the cheapest way to obtain audio books for my ipad. I have tried my local library and although it's great that the books are free, choice is limited and if you want the most popular books the wait for availability can be too long.

Bettyrob Sun 18-Jul-21 12:40:33

I prefer audio books as my eyesight is troublesome sometimes. As a pensioner I am now on a limited income and would appreciate any suggestions about the cheapest way to obtain audio books for my ipad. I have tried my local library and although it's great that the books are free, choice is limited and if you want the most popular books the wait for availability can be too long.

FarNorth Sun 18-Jul-21 12:44:59

BBC Sounds app has a lot of choice.
Some books which have been broadcast in episodes, as well as all sorts of dramas and other programmes.

I recommend it.

FarNorth Sun 18-Jul-21 12:48:09

Librivox has books that are in the public domain - so quite old. They have been recorded by volunteers.

librivox.org/

Blossoming Sun 18-Jul-21 12:48:40

I’m the same Bettyrob. If you search on Amazon for ‘audio books for kindle free’ you’ll find quite a few.

tanith Sun 18-Jul-21 13:35:57

If you download Libby you register your library card and there are lots of audio books to download.

NotAGran55 Sun 18-Jul-21 15:02:42

This is from Martin Lewis’ website :-

Anyone visually impaired can access thousands of titles online

The Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) has an online library that includes thousands of fiction and non-fiction books and audiobooks for adults and kids.

It's free to join for anyone who is blind, partially sighted or has an impairment that prevents them from reading standard print. Complete its registration form and either email it, print and post or contact the RNIB helpline on 0303 123 9999.

Shropshirelass Sun 18-Jul-21 15:08:01

My DM was partially sighted, she also wore a hearing aid. She loved reading and was frustrated because she could no longer read so I purchased two audio books for her. When I asked if she had listened to them, she said no because she couldn’t stand the voices of the narrators so not to buy any more for her. Oh well, I tried!

AntC Tue 20-Jul-21 12:05:25

Audible is well worth the subscription fee as they have a lot of new books and classics

TiggyW Tue 20-Jul-21 12:18:24

Shropshirelass
I use my library for audiobooks because there’s an opportunity to listen to a sample first. If it’s American, forget it!?
Bettyrob
If you reserve a few audiobooks in advance from your library, you can usually have a steady stream to listen to. Or you could buy 2nd hand CDs on eBay then resell afterwards. Charity shops sometimes have them too.

Soozikinzi Tue 20-Jul-21 12:29:34

Libby and Borrowbox both link to local libraries so they are free . I’ve listened to loads on there - some read by the author. There’s also a lot of abridged ones on the bbc sounds app especially the classics . There’s an excellent series on there called Harry’s women .

Soozikinzi Tue 20-Jul-21 12:30:07

Hardys not Harry’s ??

Cambia Tue 20-Jul-21 12:45:24

I agree Libby is very good. You can download and place holds on audio books and it costs nothing if you link to your library. I also use Audible for £7.99 a month and they have a huge range of books. I bought my son in Canada a years subscription, so if you have a birthday or Xmas wish list ask for this!!

wildswan16 Tue 20-Jul-21 13:25:57

NotAGran55

This is from Martin Lewis’ website :-

Anyone visually impaired can access thousands of titles online

The Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) has an online library that includes thousands of fiction and non-fiction books and audiobooks for adults and kids.

It's free to join for anyone who is blind, partially sighted or has an impairment that prevents them from reading standard print. Complete its registration form and either email it, print and post or contact the RNIB helpline on 0303 123 9999.

Thank you for that information notagran , very useful and not something I was aware of. I have a friend who would find this helpful.

Barbk Tue 20-Jul-21 13:48:02

I love audiobooks as I listen to them while driving in the car, doing the ironing, cooking , gardening and housework. I realised that if your a library member they are free which is even better than audible.
Have listened to many types of book it’s great.

NotAGran55 Wed 21-Jul-21 17:33:51

That’s good Wildswan that someone has benefited from the OPs thread , as they never came back .

gmarie Wed 21-Jul-21 20:09:17

Bettyrob, I also use Audible. I pay the yearly price for 24 book credits (one per book) and also take advantage of the deals and sales that pop up (two books for one credit, Daily Deals, etc.). Google Play now has some free audio books, as well, and more to buy: play.google.com/store/books/category/audiobooks

TiggyW, American here and I'm offended (not really) grin Just wondering why our novels are anathema to you. There are quite a few I like, although I freely admit I often seek out British shows on Britbox and Acorn and read a lot of British novels. Whether British, American or "other", I love lots of character development, description, and well-crafted plots. I stay away from the gruesome, depressing, action for action's sake types and those with overused "twist endings" . Just finished all of the DC Smith novels and am watching "Vera". smile

Airedale19 Wed 28-Jul-21 17:37:47

I also subscribe to Audible for 7.99 a month. There’s usually a sale on every month or so for subscribers, with many titles at £3. Also when browsing, you can hear a sample of the narration so you can avoid a voice that would irritate you. Well worth it. If I could choose only one subscription, I’d choose Audible rather than any TV channel.

Shelbel Mon 09-Aug-21 21:33:47

If you have someone who can help you then youtube has lots of classics for free but also other books. They take a bit of searching for so I thi k you'd need help with it. I use Audible which had quite a few special offers. I always take the really long books to get the best value grin

Oldbat1 Mon 09-Aug-21 21:40:47

I use BorrowBox and the BBC Sounds. I preview the reader as some voices I don’t like. I listen in bed to help me sleep and also put a timer on.

FarNorth Tue 10-Aug-21 01:30:32

Me too Oldbat1. ?

NotAGran55 Tue 10-Aug-21 07:43:21

Just back to add that Audible now has a ‘Plus’ catalogue of free titles for members, making it even better value .

Still no sign of the OP . I do hope that s/he is OK .

seacliff Tue 10-Aug-21 07:57:19

Silly question, but how do you listen to audible books when driving? I have an android phone. Thanks

Charleygirl5 Tue 10-Aug-21 07:58:08

Do the books come in the form of USB memory sticks or CDs, please?

FarNorth Tue 10-Aug-21 08:22:09

You download them to your 'device'.

Libraries probably have CD audiobooks you can borrow, which I was doing before lockdown.