Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Write Around The World on BBC 4

(28 Posts)
Soroptimum Fri 06-Aug-21 20:10:43

A very enjoyable programme with Richard E Grant, discussing books inspired by places in Southern Italy. He read passages from the books and they really came to life when in the actual location. Looking forward to the next 2 episodes, set in France and Spain.

aquagran Fri 06-Aug-21 20:17:37

We liked it too, having read some of the books. My Brilliant Friend was a great tv prog.

MayBee70 Fri 06-Aug-21 20:37:10

I’ve binge watched all of it but, as per usual, because I watch it late at night, I’ve nodded off at times and need to rewatch it. Which won’t be a great hardship. It’s the sort of programme I can watch over and over again.

Oldbat1 Fri 06-Aug-21 21:31:21

Yes very interesting what I’ve seen. Will definitely rewatch the bits I missed when my eyes were closed.

Lucca Sat 07-Aug-21 06:14:54

Lovely programmes. When people say “what’s wrong with just holidaying in beautiful Britain” I wonder how they could look at these programmes and not understand the desire to travel !

Froglady Sat 07-Aug-21 06:25:55

I really enjoyed the first programme and I'm looking forward to the next two. I'm also going to try and read the books mentioned. Hopefully if this series has a good response from viewers BBC4 might commission another series. I love Richard E Grant's presenting style as he is so enthusiastic about what he sees and eats he takes you with him on his journeys.

Alegrias1 Sat 07-Aug-21 08:25:55

Really enjoyed it, it reminded me of what it's like to go to a place that's really different from home. Some of the books will be finding their way on to my reading list.

Richard E. Grant would be a great travelling companion. He sure enjoyed that pizza!

Silverbridge Sat 07-Aug-21 10:05:02

Thank you Soroptimum for flagging up this series.

I loved it. Going by the long library holding queues for some of the books he mentioned, particulary Carlo Levi's Christ Stopped at Eboli, so did many others.

I particularly enjoyed Richard E. Grant's exchange with the very enthusiastic Francesca Del Vecchio in Pompeii.

Programme one should definitely come with a warning to have pizza warming in the oven!

I'm already on to programme two with Cervantes and Dumas et al in Southern France.

Here's a link to the Open University site mentioned at the end of each programme:

www.open.edu/openlearn/tv-radio-events/tv/write-around-the-world#episode-details_26090

trisher Sat 07-Aug-21 10:08:52

I loved it. I did think there was a bit of a twinkle in Richard. E. Grant's eye as he stayed in the best hotels and drove an open top car through. Italy. Talk about a dream job!

Lincslass Sat 07-Aug-21 10:20:27

It’s a delightful programme, just the thing to watch on a dreary day. Richard E Grant a pleasure to listen to and the scenery is amazing, I will be putting some of the books on my reading list. Thanks for the recommendation.

Framilode Sat 07-Aug-21 10:22:41

Carol Drinkwater mentioned on Twitter that he comes to lunch at her Olive Farm in the french one. That should be interesting.

MayBee70 Sat 07-Aug-21 10:57:57

Having had my recent encounter with ticks I’m still freaking out about the guy from Genesis’s description of the ticks on his land shock! I hadn’t heard of some of the books mentioned. I had no idea Carol Drinkwater now wrote books.

MayBee70 Sat 07-Aug-21 20:27:10

There’s a really interesting web chat with Carol Drinkwater on a Lockdown Book Festival that I’ve found. I’ll try to do a link. This lovely series is taking me on a journey in more ways than one!

Silverbridge Sat 07-Aug-21 21:00:11

Is it this one Maybee70?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7ONF0Kc2ik

Good to see Paul Blezard. I used to enjoy him hosting the now defunct OneWord digital radio station.

MayBee70 Sat 07-Aug-21 21:32:43

Yes. That’s the one. Thanks.

maisiegreen Sun 08-Aug-21 07:23:18

I'm really enjoying this. Intelligent, entertaining TV. I thought the BBC had forgotten to make it.

Lincslass Sun 08-Aug-21 07:58:08

Just watched Episode 3 from Andalucia, such a beautiful place ,lovely people. Was lucky enough to spend some time in the Rhonda, such a sad history, and had read about the awful executions. Read for whom the Bell Tolls aged 15, will be reading again.

Cherrytree59 Fri 03-Sep-21 19:15:01

Very sorry to read that Joan Washington has died.
She was a film and celebrity dialect coach and the wife of
Richard E Grant.
The couple had been married for 35 years.

TOP Joan

Cherrytree59 Fri 03-Sep-21 19:16:05

So sorry, predictive text!!!!

RIP Joan

Alegrias1 Fri 03-Sep-21 19:30:13

Very sad sad

MayBee70 Fri 03-Sep-21 19:37:04

Oh no. I so fell in love with him after watching the series and wanted him to live happily ever after. So sad. Poor man.

Grannmarie Fri 03-Sep-21 22:27:38

Soroptimum, thank you for the recommendation.
I loved episode one, it brought back memories of our visit to Naples, Pompeii and Positano, pre Covid., I have read the Neapolitan Trilogy, and watched the excellent TV version of My Beautiful Friend, but I did not know that the author's name is a pseudonym.
Now watching episode two.
I am impressed with Richard E. Grant's attempts at a Scottish accent when reading R.L.Stevenson, very good!
Looking forward to episode three, we love Andalucia, visited often pre Covid. We had a memorable day at Rondda.

Grannmarie Fri 03-Sep-21 22:28:37

R.I.P Joan.

MayBee70 Sun 05-Sep-21 13:00:13

I’ve just found a really good Michael Palin series about Hemingway on iplayer. Must have missed it first time round.

Fennel Sun 05-Sep-21 15:32:21

I'm enjoying the book series too. I wonder if he'll go to Russia? I love russian literature
And sad to read about the death of Richard's wife.