Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Has your kindle changed recently?

(38 Posts)
NotTooOld Mon 18-Oct-21 23:09:07

I know computers are always changing without telling us but recently my Kindle Paperwhite has undergone a change both in layout and in the way it operates. There never used to be a drop down menu from the top middle, for example. It took me ages to locate the 'go to' button today. Another thing, it is much harder now to delete a book you have read or a sample you don't want to read. If I delete a book it does not always go away, or if it does, it comes back and I have to delete it again, sometimes three of four times. It never used to be like this. There is one good thing though, Sometimes when I delete a book a message comes up telling me it is eligible for a refund and would I like one? Of course, I say yes (even if I've read the whole thing) and I duly receive a credit on my card statement. Now why is that happening? Is it just me?

Sunlover Mon 18-Oct-21 23:12:23

I also found my kindle had changed. Slowly getting used to it. I never delete books but may try and see if they offer a refund.

annodomini Mon 18-Oct-21 23:24:50

I haven't noticed such changes in my Paperwhite. It's one of the early versions, so might not be subject to change as much as the more recent models. I did get a refund this week on a book I had ordered by mistake, by going into the 'my orders' menu.

M0nica Tue 19-Oct-21 13:54:59

Yes, and not for the first time. It irritates me every time because there is always a feature that I use that they remove or is nore difficult to access.

Gossamerbeynon1945 Tue 19-Oct-21 14:06:52

I have downloaded many books, and they have not appeared on my Kindle.

Gossamerbeynon1945 Tue 19-Oct-21 14:07:23

I have a Kindle Fire.

M0nica Tue 19-Oct-21 14:58:11

In have not heard of that happening befoe. Is it because they load it to your online account and they expect you to transfer it onto your Kindle Fire?

I know when I had to replace a faulty Kindle, I needed to transfer all my books from the online account accessed through my computer to my new Kindle. It wasn't aautomatic.

I trust you complained. Did the cost of buying them come through on your credit card?

libra10 Tue 19-Oct-21 15:04:22

I used to use the Kindle app on my ipad mini. These days I use NetGalley.

However, when using the Kindle, I used to go to the Amazon website and delete the book from my account, and it did completely disappear.

NotTooOld Tue 19-Oct-21 15:37:45

libra10

However, when using the Kindle, I used to go to the Amazon website and delete the book from my account, and it did completely disappear.

That's a good tip, Libra. I'll give it a go. I love my Kindle but it is so annoying when changes are made that make it less good. We should complain!

Dinahmo Tue 19-Oct-21 15:47:59

Gossamerbeynon1945

I have a Kindle Fire.

Usually the name appears and you click on it to download it when you want to read it.

NotTooOld Tue 19-Oct-21 16:04:38

NotTooOld

libra10

That's a good tip, Libra. I'll give it a go. I love my Kindle but it is so annoying when changes are made that make it less good. We should complain!

I just tried that on my Amazon account, Libra, and it worked! I now have four pages of books in my library instead of an unmanageable twelve. Thanks.

blossom14 Tue 19-Oct-21 16:04:47

Yes, I have noticed changes. I use the prime library function and always check that the book is marked as delivered to my device.
When buying, books appear to download without a problem.

Cherrytree59 Tue 19-Oct-21 16:10:59

Yes on my kindle fire, I can no longer drag history or bookmark pages across from right hand side.

Now have to click on three dots on left-hand side to access history and bookmarks. hmm

glammagran Tue 19-Oct-21 16:20:35

My Kindle updated last week which seems fine to me, but I’m far less happy with the unholy mess that is Amazon’s update. Couldn’t find My Orders - it now appears under a tab called My Stuff. When I press the back button it takes me to unexpected places. An improvement? I don’t think so!

Floradora9 Tue 19-Oct-21 17:48:14

If you have bought a book and read it please do not take a refund . The poor author then has his commission taken back and they have to make a living from their writing.

Aveline Tue 19-Oct-21 18:09:33

My Kindle seems to have updated itself. I can't say it's an improvement.

M0nica Tue 19-Oct-21 22:45:26

Floradora the majority of books I download, the authors are long dead and outnof copyright, so no problems should I demand a refund. i do not because I rarely pay more than £2 for a book download.

JackyB Wed 20-Oct-21 06:02:27

I've just checked my Kindle Paperwhite and it doesn't seem any different. Like annodomini however, it is a very old one.

ayse Wed 20-Oct-21 06:44:19

It’s progress! Someone’s bright idea of improving functionality thus making it easier to use ? and helping us to do more (on their device). Except that it will now take longer to do what you did before and become very frustrated in the process!

Lynd1952 Wed 13-Apr-22 08:24:38

Is anyone else having a problem with their Kindle homepage? Mine is showing books that I have read and making it difficult to find the books that I haven't read! I have googled this problem and it seems that there has been a recent update that has caused this and it's recommended that you sort your books into a collection and you can then move your book to the relevant collection and away from the homepage. I have tried this and it doesn't work.

BigBertha1 Wed 13-Apr-22 09:28:30

I have a new Kindle Fire which is not as good as the old one. I have it on largest font and its tiny.

Patsy70 Wed 13-Apr-22 09:30:58

My Kindle hasn’t changed in any way, but I have had it many years.

Yammy Wed 13-Apr-22 09:38:04

Mine shut down completly like I said on another post and was lambasted by some for not knowing what to do not tec savi enough. When I did get into it the Library function is completely different and it has not got my current books but has put back on all I had deleted. I'm going to sit this afternoon and try and sort it.
If something I have bought does not download I go to my Amazon orders and do it from there.
I am thinking of emptying it completely and just downloading the last few books.
I also get the choice on some books to get a refund.

Witzend Wed 13-Apr-22 09:42:56

I don’t notice that mine has changed - it’s a backlit Paperwhite that I’ve had for several years now.

But I do hate it when they bugger about with devices/systems - changing things that worked perfectly fine before. I tend to think it’s because blokes just like tinkering with anything gadget-y.

I once had a moan to dd2’s IT-whizz partner about the buggering-up updates on my iPad.

He said he just rejects the updates!

Pepper59 Wed 13-Apr-22 10:20:49

The difficulty with rejecting some updates, is that they can be security updates. Check what you are rejecting. I have an older Kindle, but tended to delete books from my Amazon account direct. Amazon Kindle has a customer service, perhaps approach them for help? I've always found them good.