Gransnet forums

Books/book club

When you give someone a book..

(70 Posts)
JackyB Tue 02-Nov-21 09:47:33

...do you write a message on the inside? It is a good way to remind people when they got the book and who from, but it makes it difficult to pass on the book, unless it is really old, and all the parties involved are no longer with us, when it becomes an interesting piece of history.

People don't seem to do this so much these days. Here in Germany if you buy a book as a present the shop will gift wrap it for you, so there's no opportunity to write in it first. I don't always take advantage of this but even if I wrap it myself I don't always think to write a dedication.

Do you still do it, and do you have any treasured books with inscriptions from people you fondly remember, preferably with a date (and a price of 2/6d on the back cover!)

I know I've still got some books I was given as a child so I think I'll go and have a look at some of mine and come back with quotes if I find any nice ones.

CafeAuLait Tue 02-Nov-21 10:09:54

No, I don't and never have.

luluaugust Tue 02-Nov-21 10:21:58

It is a two edged sword, I feel compelled to keep some childhood books as they are signed to me from auntie or uncle and date, thereby making a memory. I think I may have written a message in a couple of cookbooks to DDs but otherwise no.

Tizliz Tue 02-Nov-21 10:23:31

I have some books my mother was presented with at school, it is interesting to see what subjects she was good at.

My husband has lots of books written by people he knows in his business (tools), and really likes the ones with personal dedications. When he gets round to writing his book it will go out with personal messages but I suppose it is a bit different when it is the author writing the messages

timetogo2016 Tue 02-Nov-21 10:28:22

No,never have and never will.

Greyduster Tue 02-Nov-21 11:07:22

No I don’t and never have, but I have a bible that was given to me in 1957 by a lady who lived in our road and she wrote in it. I’m glad she did. She was not well liked by those who lived around us, being regarded as being a bit of an oddity, but she was always very kind to me.
The only other book I have that has been written in was one I bought in a jumble sale when I was a child (I liked the pictures!) - the Poems of Walter Scott. It has the name Madge and a date 9.5.07 which makes it a hundred and fourteen years old.

foxie48 Tue 02-Nov-21 11:09:38

Only if you are the author otherwise a nice card that they can use as a bookmark.

Urmstongran Tue 02-Nov-21 11:12:01

I write messages inside the books I buy for my grandchildren and the date. Always have.

I suppose when the time comes and they want to get rid, the messages can always be blocked out with a black marker pen.

25Avalon Tue 02-Nov-21 11:28:52

I think it depends on the book. If it is one that is likely to be kept and have sentimental value then yes. Dh’s railway books would fit into that category. If it’s chick lit, read once and chucked away, then no.

JackyB Tue 02-Nov-21 11:29:58

I'm surprised by the answers so far. I really thought it was something you do. I love the fact that I have books that my parents gave to my children, which I can now share with my grandchildren. They always wrote in them, and now the little ones are learning to read, I hope they will find it interesting. I just love seeing my parents' handwriting.

Elizabeth27 Tue 02-Nov-21 12:27:43

I would rather that books can be passed around, therefor do not write in them.

greenlady102 Tue 02-Nov-21 12:29:24

I don't ever give books unless I know its something the person has asked for. I probably wouldn't write in the book

Yammy Tue 02-Nov-21 12:42:03

No, only if they are special presents like Christening or naming gifts.
I do have three very old books with writing in them, one given to my gran by the school for excellent spelling I certainly didn't get that attribute. A second "Uncle Toms Cabin",which was given to my grandfather for good attendance and the third a maths textbook given to my father when he went to the Grammar school, in it is an inscription and a letter from his junior school head. Just thought both DH and I have Lord Wharton bibles with plates in the front from our respective Methodist churches.

SueDonim Tue 02-Nov-21 12:42:39

It’s not something I’ve done. I do still have a book of children’s poetry in which my late sister wrote a message for my son’s Christening.

We also have some very old Just William books which belonged to MIL. They have dedications in them - clearly she was given them as they were published - and they also have the stamp of the book sellers in India from whom they were purchased.

Visgir1 Tue 02-Nov-21 12:47:44

I did for my children when they were small.
But I wish people would not give me books, in last few years nearly everyone I have been given I have already read on my Kindle.
So they go into straight into the charity bag, told my family please No books.

Rosie51 Tue 02-Nov-21 12:55:19

I've only ever written a message a couple of times, but my children all have books marking special occasions that have dedications from the giver. While other books have been passed on these ones are treasured by them because they link to their giver and the occasion.

travelsafar Tue 02-Nov-21 13:00:50

I have two books given to me by my mother. One is a dictionary and the other a book about days gone by. Both have messages and love from mum. I will treasure those always.

Smileless2012 Tue 02-Nov-21 13:08:05

Yes I've always written on the inside cover eg date, name of the person it's being given too and whether it was for a birthday, Christmas or anniversary.

silverlining48 Tue 02-Nov-21 13:27:18

I always wrote something and dated books gifted to my children and Gcs. Have just this week come across a book of fairy tales for my then 4 year old. It took me back over 40 years. It’s old and battered, by over use. No one in the family to pass it on to, but will have to keep it.

Kim19 Tue 02-Nov-21 13:45:09

I used to write a personal message. No longer do so but don't actually know why. Perhaps - and it's just a thought - I tend to give paperbacks rather than hardcover. Who knows?

baubles Tue 02-Nov-21 13:58:07

Yes I’ve always done it. Just a to and from and the date.

I have my Grandmother’s prayer book bearing an inscription from her aunt dated Easter 1920 also books to me from the same grandmother as well as a couple from my father.

Baggs Tue 02-Nov-21 17:01:20

My oldest wildflower book (Keble Martin) was from my aunt for my 15th birthday. My dad got his college librarian to give the sleeve a protective backing and she stuck the card into that on the inside of the book.

My parents gave me an india paper Complete Works of Shakespeare for my 18th birthday and they wrote in that.

I still have and use both.

Lincslass Tue 02-Nov-21 17:36:10

Have four books written in, one, Vanity Fair from aged 10, from our neighbours. 2 Sunday school prizes, my GG Bible, presented to him in 1902. Lovely to look back and remember where they were from , and adds to the history of them.

nexus63 Tue 02-Nov-21 17:42:27

i never give books, i would rather give them a book token/amazon voucher and i would never write a message in a book, my gran sometimes gave me books but would always include a bookmark. i love books but they need to be large print so i have been using a kindle for a few years, plus i read 2/3 books every week.

Audi10 Tue 02-Nov-21 17:45:41

Yes, always right a little message inside, Always have & Always will