Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Ethel and Ernest (Raymond Briggs)

(46 Posts)
Witzend Fri 11-Mar-22 09:50:56

Despite being a great fan of The Snowman, and his hilarious Father Christmas book, I only recently ordered Ethel and Ernest - the story of his parents from the time they met in 1928 until their deaths in the early 70s, taking in WW2 and of course aspects of his childhood.

In his inimitable cartoon-strip style, it’s an often funny, but evidently loving and very moving account.
Has anyone else read it?

I noticed just yesterday after a quick flick through Father Christmas again, that the registration plate on the milkman’s van on one of the last pages of FC, consists of his father’s initials and the year of his birth - his father was a milkman.

It won the British Book Award for the Illustrated Book of the Year.
I dare say this sort of book is not everyone’s cup of tea but I absolutely love it.

There’s apparently an animated film of it, but I haven’t seen it yet and maybe won’t, in case it disappoints.

JaneJudge Fri 11-Mar-22 09:52:27

Oh the animated version is lovely, you wont be disappointed. It is so moving

JaneJudge Fri 11-Mar-22 09:54:29

I have also been thinking about when the wind the blows, can you remember?

Zoejory Fri 11-Mar-22 09:55:28

JaneJudge

I remember that . Brilliant little film. Heartbreaking.

MissAdventure Fri 11-Mar-22 10:03:32

We watched it on TV a few years back, and it was absolutely wonderfully done.

TillyTrotter Fri 11-Mar-22 10:05:19

The animated “Ethel and Ernest” brought tears to my eyes. ?

MissAdventure Fri 11-Mar-22 10:06:34

Us too.

Witzend Fri 11-Mar-22 10:29:18

Thanks for comments about the DVD - must say that after reading that Jim Broadbent and Brenda Blethyn star in it, I was thinking again and have now ordered it.

As someone said, a 3 bed house in Wimbledon Park for £850 - on a single milkman’s wage!
Different times indeed - Dh’s parents lived in Wimbledon Park and prices are stratospheric now.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 11-Mar-22 10:33:18

I absolutely loved the animated version of Ethel & Ernest, I cried and laughed and didn’t want it to end.

I thoroughly recommend it.

MerylStreep Fri 11-Mar-22 10:49:31

I remember when my OH was working on the Tin Pot General and the Old Lady ( Falklands War)
It was scathing towards Thatcher. I was amazed that it was ever printed

Yammy Fri 11-Mar-22 10:54:45

JaneJudge

I remember it and debated whether to read it to DD's.
We were moving house at the time and found the door to the understairs cupboard in the garage. They had left quite a few toys and one DD said "Oh look how kind they have left us their {I thought toys} but she said fall out shelter.
At the time Alexander Dubchec was trying to break Czechoslovakia away from the Russians.Tense times like at the present.

DanniRae Fri 11-Mar-22 11:33:29

I have this book and really love it.......such a touching story and the illustrations are spot on. I reread it often and even though I know what happens it always makes me shed a tear.

Jaxjacky Fri 11-Mar-22 12:08:37

I love all the books and all the films, I’ve read and watched them many times.
Yes, When the Wind Blows is and has made me pause to think.

JaneJudge Fri 11-Mar-22 12:13:48

Oh Yammy, the things children say x

Farzanah Fri 11-Mar-22 12:15:38

Yes we had all the Raymond Briggs books and Ethel and Ernest was very moving, and was so true at the time when people were making fall out shelters under the stairs and stocking up on tinned food.
I have been thinking about it recently in view of current events.
What a charmed time we have been living in, and perhaps hadn’t appreciated.

Theresamb Sun 13-Mar-22 10:46:52

When the wind blows is defiantly not in the genre of the snowman, but it’s a brilliant and powerful book, there was a play of it too.I’ve been thinking about this book the last couple of weeks in light of what’s going on in Eastern Europe

essjay Sun 13-Mar-22 10:49:45

Ethel and Ernest was brilliant, moving and funny, how lucky Raymond Briggs was to have such lovely parents. I also remember when When the Wind blows appeared, I had two young children at the time and was fearful of something like that happening, I now have two young grandchildren and the same fears have risen again

hollysteers Sun 13-Mar-22 10:54:47

Loved that book and found the account of his parents’ passing very moving. They lived good and simple lives. I watched a documentary on tv about him and he seems a lovely man too.

FannyCornforth Sun 13-Mar-22 10:54:55

I bought E&E when it first came out.
I found it heartbreaking, ditto When the Wind Blows.
They are both absolutely brilliant, but I won’t be revisiting either any time soon!

Bankhurst Sun 13-Mar-22 10:55:46

I keep the book on my ‘special books’ shelf with others that I treasure and plan to pass on when I die.

Lathyrus Sun 13-Mar-22 10:55:53

Actually, for a few months, I lived a few doors down from the real Ethel and Ernest though she died very soon after we moved in.

Obviously I didn’t know at the time they were going to be in a book! Or that Raymond Briggs was going to be famous?

Yammy Sun 13-Mar-22 10:59:36

Thanks, Jane Judge little ones often say what you are thinking but dare not voice.
They also pick up on things on T.V. and what people are talking about much more than you are aware.
I was careful after that what was said in front of them or read.Though I did reread the book myself and have been thinking about it lately before it was mentioned Gransnet.
We have a family friend married to a Ukrainian woman who is fighting in Mariupol,he was last heard from a week last Thursday.
My thoughts and sympathy goes to all Ukranians with their men folk fighting.

Bluecat Sun 13-Mar-22 11:15:14

I saw the animated film and it brought tears to my eyes. Made me think of my mum and dad, although they were younger than Ethel and Ernest.

I'm guessing that When The Wind Blows has crossed many people's minds recently.

tiredoldwoman Sun 13-Mar-22 11:18:07

Just last weekend my friend had been talking about her late mother's plan to build a nuclear shelter following a Government guide , she'd dug it out and was going home to convert her understair cupboard such was her fear of another war . I mentioned Where the Wind Blows to her but she'd never seen/read it . I wonder where I could find it ?

icanhandthemback Sun 13-Mar-22 11:59:21

I watched "When the Wind Blows," with somebody who was staying with us whose life was in disarray. We always used to joke that somebody else had borrowed the family brain cell when he was born. However, this film absolutely blew him away and it provoked a thought process which was quite touching to watch. It was an inspirational film.