Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Christmas Chronicles by Nigel Slater

(28 Posts)
NotAGran55 Sun 23-Oct-22 07:39:38

For any Nigel fans there is a lovely read-along / listen-along thread just starting on Mumsnet.

grannydarkhair Sun 23-Oct-22 10:46:14

Thanks for this, I’m a long-time NS fan. It’s a good while since I read Toast, must dig it out. I follow him on Instagram, and always read what he’s written in the Guardian. I’ve loved all his tv programmes, he’s such a comfortable, easy watch.

Pudding123 Sun 23-Oct-22 12:19:09

A lovely friend bought this book for me when I was having a stressful time( it was my reading in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep)I could hear his dulcid tones in my head when I was reading this and it helped ,I have always read and made lots of his recipes and loved his book Toast...
I can recommend this book it is very nostalgic and quite magical.

Blossoming Sun 23-Oct-22 13:10:17

I have this on my Audible wish list, it sounds wonderful and includes a PDF of all the recipes to download.

Jaxjacky Sun 23-Oct-22 13:21:46

Just added it to my optimistic Christmas list, thank you NotAGran.

Witzend Sun 23-Oct-22 13:24:12

I bought this last year, never got around to reading it, and now can’t remember where on earth I put it! Not on a bookshelf, ours are all overflowing, some are double stacked. Must have a think!

Casdon Sun 23-Oct-22 13:24:48

I love it - treat yourself now JaxJacky as it’s from 1st November.

Jaxjacky Sun 23-Oct-22 13:45:22

Tempted Casdon but it’s given the children a reasonably priced option for me, I’m always being told ‘you’re tricky to buy for/add stuff to your list’.

womblekelly Sun 23-Oct-22 13:46:36

Oh I love this book, have had it on my Kindle for a few years now and re read it each year -

muse Sun 23-Oct-22 15:47:38

Just asked my DD for it Jax. She refuses to not buy me anything. I have Toast, so must get it off the shelf and read it again. Nigel Slater has such a flair with words and a voice to go with it.

Good price on Amazon with used copies.

NotAGran55 Sun 23-Oct-22 16:49:00

I got my copy earlier in the week from eBay, new, £7.96 including delivery.
There was quite a few to choose from then but I

The Chronicles starts on November 1st and we will be starting the read-along then on Mumsnet.
I’ve read the long introduction which was wonderful and I can’t wait to get started.

Witzend Tue 25-Oct-22 10:29:31

Finally unearthed my copy today - I didn’t get around to it last year - and have just read his lovely, evocative introduction. Not sure I’ll be making many of the recipes, but I’m certainly looking forward to a thoroughly enjoyable read.?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 25-Oct-22 10:39:12

I’ve had my copy for a while now, and the introduction and articles on things like candles etc, have become almost compulsory reading along with Christmas Carol.

NotAGran55 Tue 01-Nov-22 06:31:17

November 1st
The Christmas Chronicles read along starts today for anyone joining in.

tickingbird Tue 01-Nov-22 07:42:05

I’ve just ordered this as forgotten that I wanted this book and seeing this thread jogged my memory so thanks for that.

Enid101 Tue 01-Nov-22 07:49:29

I was given the book for Christmas last year and am so looking forward to starting it tonight. Thanks for the reminder.

Dickens Tue 01-Nov-22 08:26:39

NotAGran55

Thanks for the reminder.

tickingbird Tue 01-Nov-22 07:42:05
I’ve just ordered this as forgotten that I wanted this book and seeing this thread jogged my memory so thanks for that.

... me, too!

Reading Nigel Slater makes me feel like I've stepped back in time into my smiling Grandmother's kitchen on a dreary, blustery winter's day, surrounded by the aroma of baking cakes and sitting at a long wooden table, drinking tea, with the kitchen-clock ticking in the background, and a sense that all's well with the world.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 01-Nov-22 08:35:21

Must get it out. Blowing an absolute Gale out and spiteful rain forecast all day, so a day for reading stuff like that and perhaps a bit if painting.

Nannylovesshopping Tue 01-Nov-22 08:36:08

Nigel Slater is my all time favourite, I have all his books and use many of his recipes.
Magical moment, he strolled past by me in Borough Market,
I practically swooned 😍

NotAGran55 Tue 01-Nov-22 08:40:58

The audiobook narrated by him is magical.

I’ve just listened to the introduction again and November 1st
followed by reading November 1st, and adding dried apricots to my shopping list! (spoiler)

Blossoming Tue 01-Nov-22 13:13:25

I have the audiobook and am looking forward to starting it later today NotaGran55 🙂

NotAGran55 Tue 01-Nov-22 19:35:39

I hope you enjoy it as much as I am Blossoming

Nannagarra Tue 01-Nov-22 20:03:03

The read along was announced some time ago on MN. My copy came from the library last week: I’m eagerly anticipating taking part.

Ziplok Wed 02-Nov-22 20:53:59

I’ve just started re-reading my copy. Love it.

NotAGran55 Thu 03-Nov-22 05:06:15

I bought a bag of quinces yesterday from an honesty box, inspired by Nigel.
They smell amazing, I hope they taste as good.