Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Best book you read this year?

(121 Posts)
Clawdy Tue 11-Jul-23 18:20:11

For me, it has to be Shrines of Gaiety by Kate Atkinson. Loved it.

TerriBull Tue 11-Jul-23 18:28:04

Demon Copperhead Barbara Kingsolver By far the best thing I've read this year.

I read Shrines of Gaiety last year, enjoyed it, but not one of Kate Atkinson's best for me.

Oreo Tue 11-Jul-23 20:42:07

Klara And The Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro
AI is a hot topic now and this book makes you really think about it.

annodomini Tue 11-Jul-23 21:05:12

Demon Copperhead. I've loved all of Barbara Kingsolver's books but this one is the most likely to stick in my memory. The best writer and the best book of my year - so far.

Oreo Tue 11-Jul-23 21:11:28

Could you give a brief taste of Demon Copperhead without any spoilers?

Urmstongran Tue 11-Jul-23 21:13:29

This.

SueDonim Tue 11-Jul-23 21:48:06

Demon Copperhead for me, too.

Oreo, it’s set in a poor area of W Virginia, where the coal mines are/were the only work and people’ expectations are low but they do look out for each other. It’s told from the pov of a young boy whose family disintegrates and how he copes with his life.

TerriBull Tue 11-Jul-23 21:48:41

Oreo Demon Copperhead is a reworking of David Copperfield set against the opiod crisis of modern day America. Most of the setting taking place within the poorer communities of The Appalacians, in Virginia.

Clawdy Wed 12-Jul-23 17:40:52

Demon Copperhead sounds good, but isn't it incredibly long?

Oreo Wed 12-Jul-23 17:51:17

Thanks SueDonim and Terribull 😃
I will def buy this on my Kindle, sounds like something I’d enjoy.

Oreo Wed 12-Jul-23 17:53:47

Another good book I’ve got on my Kindle is called Great Circle by Maggie Shipstead.
Set in depression era US and also in the here and now about a female aviator, which sounds a bit boring but it’s anything but, a really good read.

sally45 Wed 12-Jul-23 17:57:16

several books by Philipa Gregory

grannydarkhair Wed 12-Jul-23 18:04:44

My most enjoyed has been Young Mungo by Douglas Stuart. I really enjoyed his first book, Shuggie Bain and hope DS continues to write.
I enjoyed Shrines of Gaiety by Kate Atkinson but it’s definitely not my favourite of her books (Life After Life and A God in Ruins are), thought SoG could have been edited by quite a few pages.

TerriBull Wed 12-Jul-23 18:55:32

Clawdy can't remember exactly how long it was, maybe 600 pages. A book is never too long if it captivates the reader because you never want it to end.

Do agree Grannydarkhair, KA's Life after Life and a God in Ruins both wonderful to that I would add Behind The Scenes at The Museum

Blondiescot Wed 12-Jul-23 19:09:03

grannydarkhair

My most enjoyed has been Young Mungo by Douglas Stuart. I really enjoyed his first book, Shuggie Bain and hope DS continues to write.
I enjoyed Shrines of Gaiety by Kate Atkinson but it’s definitely not my favourite of her books (Life After Life and A God in Ruins are), thought SoG could have been edited by quite a few pages.

I loved Shuggie Bain and I've downloaded Young Mungo to my Kindle, which I plan to read next after the book I'm just finishing.

DamaskRose Wed 12-Jul-23 19:15:22

The Madness by Fergal Keane.

Marilla Wed 12-Jul-23 19:22:44

Demon Copperhead.

GrandmaRosie Wed 12-Jul-23 19:28:38

Agree, also loved his earlier work, Never Let Me Go - a brilliant author

BigBertha1 Thu 13-Jul-23 06:45:34

I haven't been reading anything serious for a while other than Lessons in Chemistry but have just finished a light holiday read The People in the Platform which is very enjoyable and a quick read.

Greyduster Thu 13-Jul-23 07:22:49

‘Women of Troy’ by Pat Barker - a follow up to her ‘Silence of the Girls’. Couldn’t put either of them down. A wonderful writer.

DanniRae Thu 13-Jul-23 07:45:46

Rosamunde Pilcher's "Comimg Home"
I love all her books and have read this one several times and always absolutely LOVE IT!! smile

mulberry7 Sun 16-Jul-23 19:30:38

I loved Miss Mole, by E.H. Young. I bought it on Kindle. Old-fashioned but eternally true.

Iam64 Sun 16-Jul-23 20:29:10

I’ve got Demon Copperhead waiting by my bed as I work my way through our book club choice (yes I’m bored with the book club book plus it’s too sad)

I enjoyed Lessons in Chemistry

GrandmaKT Sun 16-Jul-23 22:37:28

Lessons in Chemistry - really enjoyed it!

dragonfly46 Sun 16-Jul-23 22:54:14

Cloud Cuckoo Land by Richard Duerr. It’s the best book I have read in a long time.