Gransnet forums

Care & carers

DH's slippers- can anyone explain........?

(55 Posts)
Katek Tue 01-Aug-17 08:59:07

Dh's trusty slippers are nearly ready to bite the dust. They're grubby, despite numerous washes, and his big toe is almost through the fabric on one of them. He was muttering about them every time he wore them, so I told him to choose a new pair from Next and I would order them. The new slippers arrived, perfect fit, he liked them-just what he wanted. Can anyone then explain why the new slippers are carefully placed in the wardrobe and he's continuing to wear the old ones without complaint?

NonnaW Fri 20-Oct-17 09:58:18

The other way round in our house. DH wears anything new almost immediately whilst I, on the other hand, have a tendency to keep things for ‘best’. I bought new slippers about a month ago, and had to push myself to wear them this week on return from holiday, likewise new ‘dog walking’ trainers - reluctant to wear them! (I did at least make myself throw the old holey pair in the bin immediately).

Nelliemoser Fri 20-Oct-17 09:35:36

They are all clones. My OH eventually threw out lots of old pants about a month ago. They were in such a dusgraceful state the elasticated tops were barely attached to the fabric of the pants. He has to buy his own If I bought them they would be wrong.

Nelliemoser Fri 20-Oct-17 09:23:07

Blimey these men are all the same. Mine is reluctant to wear new clothes. (Not the emporers new clothes I hasten to add.) My OH wears sandals until the soles are so worn they a a hazard. I have kidnapped and thrown away the worst ones which were a death trap, I don't think he has noticed.

gillybob Fri 20-Oct-17 08:28:27

My DH wears Adidas flip flops around the house these days . He has huge feet ( like clowns) and he is constantly putting his toes through the front of slippers . Problem solved but obviously no good to anyone a little bit unsteady as could be a tripping hazard .

I have 2 pairs of slippers on the go at any one time . A good (white) pair, constantly in and out the wash and a tatty dark coloured pair that I go in and out the house with.

MesMopTop Fri 20-Oct-17 05:18:54

When I met DH, casual meant shirt with no tie beneath a jersey. Shirts were white, white or white. Trousers and anything else were navy blue or black. Even the odd tee shirt or two. Black socks. Ties to match the rest of the clothing, dark coloured. Every now and then I throw out the old and replace it. Huge surprise when he discovered wearing a bit of colour really doesn't kill you., it's a joy to see a happy man in brighter clothes that are new or newish. Took years off him. I've cleared out too many peoples places when they kept things "for good". I use absolutely everything, even my expensive perfumes get used daily and I wear all my lovely clothes. DH will wear his going out. I refuse to be seen with someone that looks as though he dresses from the local dumpster. As for undies, well, I always remember my mums advice ? so if it starts to look past its best, it's out! There isn't anything in this house that hasn't been used yet. ??? to all those that have lost their loved ones. It does put things into perspective.

Menopaws Wed 02-Aug-17 09:38:00

WHY should I change do u mean!

Anya Wed 02-Aug-17 07:48:08

The explanation is simple. He has a Y chromosome.

Menopaws Wed 02-Aug-17 07:18:21

Agree with Rolande let them be

Diddy1 Tue 01-Aug-17 23:27:52

I am guilty of doing the same thing, a few MONTHS ago I decided to buy a nice pair of Scholls slippers, nothing wrong with my old ones, but fancied a change, however they are STILL in a bag, from the shop where I bought them, in a cupboard. I can never use things right away.Sorry to be found guilty!

HootyMcOwlface Tue 01-Aug-17 22:13:10

My dad always used to say "never throw away the old for the new" and he'd put whatever new thing we bought him into the bottom of the wardrobe and carry on wearing his old worn out thing.

Gaggi3 Tue 01-Aug-17 21:42:20

So sad for you, Rolande. I try to keep these things in mind when DH is driving me crazy. Remember the happy times. flowers

CrazyDaisy Tue 01-Aug-17 21:40:05

Perhaps I should add that he does have a very nice warm jersey that I knitted for him much more recently.

CrazyDaisy Tue 01-Aug-17 21:39:11

DH is the same with his slippers and clothes. He still has an Aran jersey which a friend's mum knitted for him while he was at uni, well over 40 years ago.

Last year when we went to a local, and admittedly casual, ski-field, I realised he was wearing said jersey under his jacket! It must have been quite uncomfortable as, although he isn't fat, he is definitely a lot more solid than he was at 20 years old. He told me, when I asked, that he thought it ought to be worn sometimes........

W11girl Tue 01-Aug-17 21:37:48

I have the most tattiest looking slippers, even though I have bought a new pair, I can't bear to let my old ones go as I feel I haven't worn them out! I won't get started with the knickers with holes in them!

willa45 Tue 01-Aug-17 21:32:31

Oh Rolande....just saw your post. So sorry for your recent loss.

Jalima1108 Tue 01-Aug-17 18:46:07

DH put his toe through one of his very nice Fitflop slippers within a year! and insisted on me buying him another pair.

However, he still loves the chinos with holes in, the jumper with holes in (can you mend it please, dear, it's my favourite) etc.

Greyduster Tue 01-Aug-17 18:40:36

On the subject of slippers, whenever DH buys a pair, he insists that he doesn't like the 'slip on' ones that don't have backs in, and yet, within weeks of buying them, he has trodden the backs down so that is precisely what he ends up with! ?‍♀️

rockgran Tue 01-Aug-17 18:35:03

I use the "old slippers are very dangerous" tactic on my husband but it is an uphill struggle. I have to bin them myself just before the dustmen arrive....and he has more gardening clothes than we have garden!

1974cookie Tue 01-Aug-17 18:23:28

Sorry to sound like a portent of doom Dear Gransnetters, but whilst old slippers are very comfortable, they can be a very serious safety hazard.
I have seen so many people over the years who have fallen over because their slippers have become ill fitting i.e., they have stretched so that they are so loose around the foot,so that the foot comes out of the slipper as they walk causing a trip hazard , or the soles of their slippers have become so very worn. The worst ones are the ones with soles that have become shiny from wear and have no grip at all. Wearing them, especially on a carpeted area is akin to skating on ice causing a fall.
As we get older, our bones are not so strong, so a fall can result in a break like a hip, or worse. Check your slippers, and if they are not to scratch, then replace them asap.

Jalima1108 Tue 01-Aug-17 18:09:25

I had to remove all DH's winter trousers from the wardrobe, wash them and hide them because he would insist on wearing them even on a warm summer's day - even though he has several pairs of chinos.
Likewise the bloody fleece - where can I hide that?

stevej4491 Tue 01-Aug-17 18:07:19

My late husband lived in track suits with a bobble hat in the same colour to match. He was very sporty though and he never looked untidy.It was probably a rebellion from wearing a uniform for thirty three years.He was in the RAF.I used to joke that if he popped off before me I was'nt wasting money on anything fancy,he could have his track suit on,he was fine with the idea,and that is exactly what i did.Miss him loads,it's been ten years now,still miss the muddy clothes , stinking of embrocation.

Aepgirl Tue 01-Aug-17 17:43:45

My dear (late) father-in-law had the worst slippers. They were worn down at the back and I worried that he would trip up in them, so I bought him a new, almost identical, pair for his birthday which was in June. He was delighted and said 'I will keep these for when I visit you'. So I bought him another pair for Christmas, but they were kept for taking on holiday. To the day he died he was still wearing the old ones!

Penstemmon Tue 01-Aug-17 16:58:29

DH is is an adult and looks after his own clothes: buying, washing, discarding etc. Except for a couple of occasions when I "lost" a couple of truly awful items. Shh! wink

whitewave Tue 01-Aug-17 16:41:18

My DH is the same. Loves all his ancient clothes while brand new stuff still with labels attached sit in his wardrobe, including shoes and slippers. It is only when we go somewhere smart or holiday in hotel or cruise, that I insist he wears something respectable. This years major tussle was over a cardigan that wasn't fit for anything, I threw it in the bin for recycling but he rescued it. I eventually persuaded him another cardigan was just as good and I eventually won the day. He has never worn t-shirts though.

keffie Tue 01-Aug-17 15:10:34

Rolande I am so sorry to hear your husband has passed away! Yes I can well imagine you would love still to be in our position. It is easy to forget.

We nearly lost my beloved husband last year. I vowed not to get so fedup of his ways.I am better than I was however do forget sometimes.

Phew to that fact I am not on my own with clothing etc. He often looks like an old tramp at home with some of the stuff he will wear. He wouldn't go out like it.

I comment I don't dress like that etc. etc. Yes to what everyone has said