Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Brother who cares for Mum is behaving like a martyr

(127 Posts)
arcadia03 Tue 08-Jan-19 09:55:53

I live a long way from my elderly Mum who has sever dementia and multiple health issues. My brother is behaving like a martyr, claiming it's worse than a full time job looking after her, and that his washing machine is on 24/7 which is nonsense. I think he is also mismanaging her finances under his poa, and he is drinking a lot. In fact whenever I go to see my Mum (monthly) there is hardly anything in the fridge and my Mum is very frail and thin. Fortunately there are visiting carers and meals on wheels too, but it's all a worry.

MawBroonsback Thu 18-Apr-19 22:10:33

OP was very unclear and the picture which emerges is rather different from that originally outlined.
She told us her mother had “severe dementia” which is not the same as being able to live alone on her own home. She also alluded to “multiple health issues” painting a much more serious picture.
She said her brother was “drinking a lot” - that is not the same as being an alcoholic.
It is all a bit pointless to ask for help or advice and give out incomplete or contradictory facts.