Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Grandson has rare leukemia. Not sure how much longer I can hold up.

(65 Posts)
Mebster Thu 27-Jun-19 02:46:01

I love him so much, as does my husband. We spend most nights at hospital. His parents seem to be withdrawing a bit and depending more on us for care. I'm sure he senses this and is upset. He's not doing too well and has been in hospital for over two months and will be for quite a while longer. I love spending time with him, even sick, but he's depressed and I find myself crying a lot and unable to face friends. He is 8, his little brother is healthy and a joy but we get far less time with him.

BradfordLass72 Tue 02-Jul-19 01:05:02

As crazyH says, we are all thinking of you and your dear family.

Strength and love to you.

crazyH Tue 02-Jul-19 00:05:26

Just checking up on you Mebster and your little grandson.....how are things? Has he started treatment...thinking of you all xx

52bright Mon 01-Jul-19 23:59:38

Mebster so sorry to hear about your grandson. You are a wonderful support to him and all his family. It is so hard to see the suffering of those we love ...especially children. My thoughts are with you tonight and all of your family.

Doodle Mon 01-Jul-19 22:30:19

mebster do you have an iPad for your DGS to use. I realise, from what you said, that he cannot play computer games without you doing the controls for him but there are lots of strategy type games you could play on an iPad which he could think about like Clash of the Clans or some maze type games like Free flow. I played these with my DGS I the past and he enjoyed them. Sorry not much help really. I can’t imagine how tough life is for you all at the moment. I do hope and pray he feels better soon.

Bathsheba Mon 01-Jul-19 21:48:57

Oh Mebster, I'm so very sorry, what a horrible thing for all of you. Poor little boy.

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers flowers

seacliff Mon 01-Jul-19 20:50:30

Poor little boy, and sympathies to all of you. Just trying to think of things that would amuse him.

Could he give Alexa instructions? I understand you can have a bit of fun with that. Could he sing along with some favourite well known songs.

Is there a local brain injury organisation that might give you some guidance/support? Wishing you all the very best outcome.

Doodle Mon 01-Jul-19 20:16:48

I pray your DGS gains strength every day and know he is blessed with loving grandparents. Take care

farview Mon 01-Jul-19 19:24:59

* Mebster*sending love and hugs...and praying for all of you. x

Urmstongran Fri 28-Jun-19 22:03:06

Whenever you feel it would help you, in any way, please come on here Mebster to pour out your emotions. It might help and us lot will listen and our support and kindness might just help you a little. We are just here, whenever you need us.
x

Callistemon Fri 28-Jun-19 19:52:16

I hope that the very best treatment is available to your dear grandson, Mebster.
All you can do at the moment is support him and the rest of the family, perhaps spending time with your other grandson so that the parents can be with their older child.
flowers

Lessismore Fri 28-Jun-19 18:48:09

Some interesting suggestions about technology. I hope there is some support for the emotions and space for him to be a little boy who is struggling. Also I hope there is space for the 8 year old and what must be a mixture of emotions for him.

Carillion Fri 28-Jun-19 18:40:36

Dear * Mebster*, as a newish member of the forum...probably two weeks, I just wanted to send you my thoughts, prayers and moral support. I will think of you and your family every day.

midgey Fri 28-Jun-19 18:39:34

Mebster, just a thought, could he use his feet to use a joy stick? He sounds a bright button and it might amuse him to try! flowers for all of you.

Mebster Fri 28-Jun-19 18:29:13

This forum gives me a space to express feelings that I would never voice, even to family. Thank you all for your kind words. Hope is strong and we are grateful for wonderful nurses, especially.

Day6 Fri 28-Jun-19 17:22:53

Now is not the time to indulge in your own emotion, now is the time to give that boy every support and love he needs

I was thinking the same thing Whitewave..

I feel for you and all the family, Mebster. What an awful thing to endure. I am sure you are all gutted.

I know from my own experience of sitting beside the hospital beds of my very sick children that you find the strength to paste on a smile and try to accentuate to positive. That is your duty now, and that of his parents; even though your hearts are hurting. There is another child who needs to be reassured by that strength too.

I really feel for you all, it's a terrible situation and I hope your little grandson recovers. flowers

Mebster Fri 28-Jun-19 17:15:19

The robot idea is lovely but his teacher rejected having any kind of camera or recording device in the classroom.

Mebster Fri 28-Jun-19 17:13:01

The brain injury from chemo caused his arms to be so spastic that he can't play computer games right now. He gives me directions as I operate controls. He didn't lose any mental ability at all, thank goodness, but it's very frustrating as he is quite intelligent.
I like the snapchat idea and will load it on my phone today.

mosaicwarts Fri 28-Jun-19 10:32:22

Big hugs Mebster, keep hoping and being positive, it's so good you are focused on him, and not the illness.

So sorry to read of his bad reaction, glad he is learning to feed himself again, amazing recovery. I understand how upset you were holding him down whilst people hurt him. My son was injured and I had to hold him down when they glued his eyebrow back together.

xx

Mebster Fri 28-Jun-19 07:45:36

Thanks for everyone's comments.
He has a T cell leukemia, which is harder to cure than more common types, but were hopeful. He had a bad reaction to chemo which resulted in a brain injury so he's now in a wheelchair and learning to feed himself again. He's been hospitalized for three months and we never leave him alone for even an hour.
I don't cry in front of him usually. Just once when I had to hold him down during an IV insertion. He was so angry with me and I just broke down. I let the medical staff handle the needle stuff now and leave the room.

Doodle Thu 27-Jun-19 20:12:21

Praying for your DGS and family mebster. I am so sorry.

SilverDarlings12 Thu 27-Jun-19 17:28:20

I read about the Robot--would be marvellous for your
Grandson, Mebster. Keeping you all in Prayer+

nanaK54 Thu 27-Jun-19 17:09:51

Sending kindest thoughts to you and your family flowers

luluaugust Thu 27-Jun-19 16:52:56

All good wishes to your family flowers

SisterAct Thu 27-Jun-19 13:26:48

? send the whole family love and prayers

SueDonim Thu 27-Jun-19 13:03:43

I'm so sorry, Mebster. flowers I hope you are able to access some support services to help you through this ordeal. Thinking of you and sending love to you all. Xx