Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Mums confusion

(62 Posts)
Katyj Wed 10-Jun-20 10:46:14

Good morning. Just looking for a bit of wisdom. My mum seems to be going mentally downhill rapidly. I know lockdown doesn’t help, but this has been happening since Christmas.
The last 4 weeks she hasn’t known what day it is, she cannot use the phone, as she can’t put all the numbers in the correct order, also seems to be telling stories about her neighbours eg yesterday she told me a neighbour had gone to the hairdressers, when I said they wouldn’t be open, she said they’d be opening especially for her, when I saw this neighbour she just laughed.
Is this just old age she’s 88. I’ve rang the dr, but nothing to be done unless it’s an emergency.she is becoming upset as she knows she’s not right . She had a brain scan and memory test 6 months ago, dr said there was nothing to worry about. Any ideas as to what might be happening and what should i do next ? x

Katyj Thu 11-Jun-20 17:10:01

Thank you Dontmind that’ll be my next job. I have a joint account with her and already do all her bills appointments etc as like your mum she is very hard of hearing too, phone conversations are impossible she’s recently had her hearing aids checked, and her ears syringed, plus a new phone but still no better.
Mum gets some benefits so she might not have to pay. Reassuring to know it’s not too difficult, it’s a good job as there so much to do.

jerseygirl Thu 11-Jun-20 18:45:47

it could be a UTI. Ask her doctor if you can take a urine sample in to surgery to be tested. A UTI in the elderly can cause the symptoms you are describing. Of course it could also be the situation at the moment. My mum is 87 and when i speak to her on the phone i can tell she's not herself. Good luck, i hope you get her some help

Madmaggie Thu 11-Jun-20 19:00:07

check for UTI as others have said. My own mum used to get them and she had similar behaviours. I do hope this is the case because it is treatable. My own mum suffered from dementia and I wouldnt wish it on anyone, carer or sufferer.

BlueBelle Thu 11-Jun-20 19:13:42

Dementia usually comes on quite slowly with various recognised stages
I would ask for her water to be tested ASAP this can really ape dementia This would seem mire likely to me I ve not heard of people going from 1 to 6 in a few months With dementia each stage of Alzheimer’s or dementia can be years
My Mum and Nan had it and I think if I remember rightly there are about 7 or 8 stages which really ape childhood in reverse and each stage can last a few years

TwinLolly Thu 11-Jun-20 21:20:17

My mum in law frequently gets urine infections and it makes her go, well, gaga. She's back to normal once antibiotics have kicked in. She was hospitalised last year and early this year and nobody could figure out what was wrong - until her urine was tested. Now the minute mum in law starts to go 'strange' my sister in law gets a urine sample to the doc and antibiotics are issued if it is an infection. At this rate she might have to have prophylactic antibiotics because of the frequency she gets the infections - basically due to proper wiping habits due to being obese.... :-(

So, as a few others have said on this thread, - try to get a urine sample to the doctor to get it tested for a UTI - as a first line of investigation. Best of luck!

glammagran Thu 11-Jun-20 22:19:17

If your mum had a brain scan and even if there was no follow up appointment, the hospital would have written to her GP confirming their findings. You are entitled to receive a copy of the report. Ask her surgery to forward a copy.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 12-Jun-20 11:10:20

Could your mother be dehydrated? A lot of elderly people do not drink the amount of fluids they should in the course of the day, especially if mobility issues make going to the toilet difficult.

The confusion you are describing could well be caused by dehydration, although it could be due to a lot of other things too.

Have you any possibility at all of monitering her intake of fluids, preferably water, mineral water or fruit juice, as tea and coffee can make dehydration worse?

GrauntyHelen Fri 12-Jun-20 16:21:07

It is not true that nothing can be done due to lockdown your Mum needs to be checked for infection and needs a mental health assessment Ring the Dr back and INSIST that a district nurse is sent out to check urine and take bloods for checking (District nurses are still working ) also demand a referall to the elderly mental health team a Community Psychiatric Nurse(they are still working too )can come out and do an assessment Sounds like your mother has dementia the sooner that which type is diagnosed and if possible treated the better DON'T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER Good luck

Katyj Fri 12-Jun-20 18:44:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ellylanes1 Sat 13-Jun-20 11:18:38

KatyJ, coping with a loved one in these circumstances is overwhelming at times.
I'm 12yrs along the dementia line with my mother who is now in a nursing home and does not recognise me any longer.
Hopefully your mum will have a uti and be better after antibiotics.
If it does end up being dementia, as others have said, Talking Point on the Alzheimers website is absolutely marvelous, carers support and help each other with advice and shared experience. I'm sure it saved my sanity more than once.
POA is a must if possible,it gives you control.
Be kind to yourself, I'm sure you are the daughter she needs.

Katyj Sat 13-Jun-20 14:15:03

Thanks Elly. Yesterday I was overwhelmed .I’ve dusted myself down and stared again today. It seems never ending sometimes my dad was ill from when I was 27 with two small children. Until he passed away aged 80. I’ve been a Carer for 35 years now.
Always on call day and night. Hopefully if i get some care in place for mum it’ll give me some peace of mind to be able to go on holiday with my lovely long suffering husband. Fingers crossed .