Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Is diagnosis of dementia a good thing

(30 Posts)
Betty65 Fri 28-Aug-20 21:45:33

My mum has vascular dementia, everyone has said to me that I need this diagnosis in order to move forward.
At the moment it feels like another burden to carry.
Why is it a good thing. What good comes out of knowing. What happens next

BlueBelle Sat 29-Aug-20 15:13:08

silver.ining you have totally broken your own argument you say after your mum was diagnosed everything stopped then you continue to say you got attendance allowance she went to a day centre and you got practical help from SS none of that would have happened without a diagnosis
Yes the agencies helping might change but it does open doors to all the help you need from either NHS or charities
I had lots of help with Mum and with Dad too before mum went into a care home They were both offered a day centre first one then two days a week they both loved that, then mum was offered a day in a dementia Day centre to give dad a rest day
Through a charity dad had a telephone buddy, mum had a lady help with her personal washing Through SS they had lots of Occupation items put in the house the weeks before she went into a care home we were given two nights a week through a charity of someone staying the night so dad could get some sleep This was eight years ago so it may have changed for the worse We did have to apply for these things it wasn’t just given to us so there was lots of homework to do

kittylester Sat 29-Aug-20 15:21:41

There is no need to be alone.

Izabella knows her way round the system but, for anyone who doesn't, Dementia Support Workers at the Alzheimers Society do.

There is a mountain of help available through the Alzheimer's Society for all types of dementia.

Some memory clinics and GPs are better than others at signposting to AS - goodness knows why as it helps relieve the pressure on them.

Sorry to be evangelical about AS. blush

Oopsadaisy4 Sat 29-Aug-20 16:20:10

One thing to remember is that Vascular Dementia Is quite different from Altzeimers, one friends husband had his first ‘episode’ some years ago and was a bit forgetful and he hasn’t worsened at all.
My MIL had her first episode, then had another one 6 weeks afterwards and went downhill alarmingly quickly.
So, a diagnosis is helpful to sort out which it is, the agencies were quite helpful but once they realised that there were family members nearby ( even though they were in there 70s) we were more or less left to it.
Fortunately SIL knows her way around the system and knew someone who knew somebody who knew where to go to get the help we needed.
They sure don’t make it easy though!

Oopsadaisy4 Sat 29-Aug-20 16:20:48

Their 70s, keyboard is unable to spell today.