Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Hospital aftercare

(31 Posts)
Puglady Sun 26-Sep-21 18:02:54

Hi,
Does anyone on here know what you can expect from these carers organised by hospital discharge team.
I understood that they would come in the morning to help you get out of bed and get washed and dressed and get you something to eat.
I came out of hospital yesterday and I got a phone call after 9pm to say they were running late and would not come until after 10pm.
I was exhausted, so told them not to bother.
My partner is partially sighted and has breathing problems so I expected they would take the strain off him. But after waiting all morning for them he managed to fill a bowl with hot water and I managed to take off my dirty nightdress and wash myself in the bed. I can't get to the toilet as my knee is fractured and ligaments are torn, so using Shewee and pot from side of bed.
He has to manage to make something to eat for himself so he gave me some toast.
Finally arrived at 12:30pm but nothing for her to do.
Then another arrived to get me a sandwich 45 mins later
But had nothing to make sandwich with, so told her she was not needed. Then almost straight away another one arrived, again did not want food and did not want or had not used commode.
If this is all they do it is pointless them keep coming.
My partner still has to somehow get food for himself, which I normally do for him. Need help with what he can't do, things like changing the bed and putting washing in, somehow washing my hair etc. They don't seem to do, and I don't want to live on toast and sandwiches as too much bread upsets me.
I am 68 so not normally in need of care and in fact care for my partner in many ways although he can wash, dress, etc.
I am just so confused as to what they do and when.

trisher Sun 26-Sep-21 18:09:07

Your carer should do anything you need them to. Did you get details of your care package? That should tell you how many visits and how long the visits will be each day. If you have the number of the hospital social worker who handled your discharge I would ring them and aske them to chase it up. If you haven't get in touch with the care company providing the carers and ask for the times you want.

humptydumpty Sun 26-Sep-21 18:09:40

Contact whoever is providing the care. When I came out of hospital I had carers who came in the morning for a week (I didn't need them any longer) who helped me with the bathroom and also made me a cup of tea and a bit of breakfast. I really appreciated it.

Septimia Sun 26-Sep-21 18:37:24

There's a limit to what the carers you get when you come out of hospital can do. My FiL had them but, because he didn't need the type of care they offered, we had to organise private carers at short notice.

It's worth checking what their remit is.

Hithere Sun 26-Sep-21 18:45:26

Looks like you need more help than what carers can provide.

JaneJudge Sun 26-Sep-21 18:47:47

I think you need to speak to the care manager and discuss what you need them to do. It would be easier to let them wash you and remake the bed. Maybe order dinners in for the time being? there are loads of companies that can do it and your partner only has to put them in the microwave

Puglady Sun 26-Sep-21 19:00:32

I don't need more care, I need different care. I cannot put any weight on my leg for 3 weeks, so can't get in shower or get to the toilet even with a walker do to the layout of flat.. Need help onto commode but if the person coming in the morning doesn't get here until after 12pm, how does that work for me. So as I said using Shewee from Edge of bed. They said they would change pads but don't want to lie around in them all night till god knows what time. Coming to make me a sandwich is useless unless they make him one too.
I usually have fruit and granola for breakfast, but need to have this at breakfast time not lunchtime.
Whilst this may work for some people, especially if they are mobile but need support, but I needed a bed wash in the morning as hadn't had one for three days due to poor hospital care.
So afraid the answers so far haven't answered me question.

Riverwalk Sun 26-Sep-21 19:00:37

As has been said you need to call the agency in the morning and arrange reasonable times for the visits. To be honest, they only have time and resources to do the basic minimum unfortunately.

As for food, you need to order in microwavable ready meals for the time being.

Puglady Sun 26-Sep-21 19:06:07

You can't ask for a time they said they would come and put me to bed between 6pm to 10pm , but last night rang up to say after 11PM. I can't actually get out of bed, so don't need to be put to bed.
Seems this service is only for very elderly people and not those with injuries.

Hithere Sun 26-Sep-21 19:08:03

Could you set up plenty of snacks by your bed? A little fridge, pot to hot water, basically like that.

If I were your carer, I would like to see a daily schedule (what time you get up, have breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc) to better time the visits.

Hithere Sun 26-Sep-21 19:08:34

For hot water

Allsorts Sun 26-Sep-21 19:08:41

I’m so sorry you are not getting tge help you should be getting, it’s really an awful situation to be in.

JaneJudge Sun 26-Sep-21 19:08:48

I realise you are fed up, who wouldn't be but you need to ring whoever is in charge of you after care package and talk to them and explain what help you need.

Have a look on these food sites like these but cook! deliver now too there are loads of options with respect to food

Riverwalk Sun 26-Sep-21 19:09:13

Yes, that's the nature of care these days - it's done on a shoestring.

Do you have any relatives to call on - you might be reluctant to do this but sometimes needs must.

Puglady Sun 26-Sep-21 19:14:01

In other words they don't help with things you want. I have ordered some ready meals for delivery tomorrow and even my partially sighted partner can push the push the 30 sec button on microwave. I will advertise for someone to come and change bed etc tomorrow as don't see why these carers get paid for not doing what you need. At a time you don't want them.
God help us all as unless you have money you are left to cope.

Puglady Sun 26-Sep-21 19:16:44

No, or I wouldn't even entertain this. Such a poor service you can't even say its better than nothing, because in my case it is nothing.

Visgir1 Sun 26-Sep-21 19:31:39

We had this with my Mum for several years.
You unfortunately can't stipulate times for these team, they will stick to the care plan, you should have a file with this in? Tends to be for personal care only, they won't go much beyond this.
This package is for you only not your partner. Get as someone said order in some microwave meals.
If you carry on sorting yourself out washing etc or sending them away they will take this service away from you. Which happened to my friends Dad as her mum tried to sort him out.
My mum too had a friendly warning that if she continues to do too much for herself, it too would be withdrawn, she was only washing herself, as she wanted it done first thing in the morning..
As for keeping her flat tidy, we had a cleaner in twice a week (only about 1 hr each time) my sister did the shopping, I did the washing and sorting the rest bills etc.
If this is just temporary for you, just see if you can ask family or friends to help out for a short while but for your own peace of mind, give Care team a ring, and see if you can find a cleaner, even if it's for every other week, to sort your home .
Best of luck and hope you get this sorted soon. flowers

kittylester Sun 26-Sep-21 19:34:37

Can you find a private care agency to help you?

Also ring PALS and ask for their advice.

Or get your gp to refer you to SS.

Dogsmakemesmile Sun 26-Sep-21 19:47:18

A support plan should have been drawn up stating number and time of visits. Tasks to be carried out would be listed. Can you phone the discharge team and ask for copy of the support plan plus name/telephone number of someone with whom you can discuss matters? Otherwise phone your nearest social work office and explain your predicament. I am so sorry you are in this situation. I am recovering from a fractured knee and can imagine the situation all too well. Have you friends/neighbours you could ask for help? You could pay them. Best wishes.

welbeck Sun 26-Sep-21 19:49:19

Bluebird are a care agency that have a good reputation.
Parsley Box Foods are useful as they can be stored in cupboards.
www.parsleybox.com/landing/autumn2/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtMCKBhDAARIsAG-2Eu-FC1JxbOrO0gSpEfzdHNhZxDqOyNhyHcDmI94ZQNaF1Hh87ru_RCgaAm7dEALw_wcB

when they do come, tell them you get v hungry and please to make two sandwiches, so your husband can have one of them, after they've gone.
do contact the agency; they should be coming earlier for first call. they should empty the commode and make you clean and comfortable.
i hope things improve. good luck.

Luckygirl Sun 26-Sep-21 19:50:47

It is hopeless - I know this from getting carers in for my OH.

They were never there when he needed transferring to the commode. Not their fault - but no-one can crap to a timetable!

MayBeMaw Sun 26-Sep-21 20:40:57

I sympathise Puglady we had Carers for DH for a couple of months before he died and the timing was always fraught. I can’t tell you how often I had just finished getting him into bd and the door bell would ring and there was the carer. Individually they meant well and we were able to manage mornings (mostly) by DH simply staying in bed, breakfast in bed, reading the paper etc until somebody arrived.
However this is the weekend and you say you came out yesterday. The care organiser should be with you tomorrow to assess your needs, draw up a care plan and hopefully put together something which meets those needs
Most of the Carers were wonderful cheerful, hard working, friendly and patient and I found them very comforting , helping me go feel I was not alone.
Don’t lose hope!

Esmay Wed 31-Aug-22 11:51:02

There is excellent advice from gransnetters to your questions .

Everyone wants visits at breakfast , lunch and suppertime . The agency only has so many staff .
It's the reason why my father lost his temper and sacked the first lot of carers who were actually very good and willing .
The subsequent ones were dire as I wrote in another post .

Once you establish a routine with a good company or get someone in privately as I do - it should work out better for you .
Wishing you well .

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 31-Aug-22 12:11:08

Esmay this thread is a year old.

Caleo Wed 31-Aug-22 12:16:15

Is it part of carers' remit to bed bath customers?

Obviously if Puglady can't get out of bed she needs care in bed. I'd have thought if a patient can't get out of bed she needs someone to toilet her, at hand day and night. Why is a patient like this discharged from hospital if an adequate care package is not available?

On a practical note, can your husband manage to help you sit on a bedpan, and then remove the bedpan? I understand Shewee is only for urine. Your husband does not have to empty the bedpan which should come with a lid, and the carer can empty and wash it out when she comes.

Two bedpans would be good. Amazon could rush them to you. I'd be surprised if the local autjority did not supply them free, My LA occupational therapists were very generous with apparatus.
You also need a water proof mattress cover for safe toiletting. I recommend Kylie washable bed pads

Wet wipes or baby wipes would be very useful for all over wash in bed. Need a lidded container for used ones.
At least the carer should change your sheets at any time of day when she comes .