Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Hospital aftercare

(32 Posts)
Puglady Sun 26-Sep-21 18:02:54

Hi,
Does anyone on here know what you can expect from these carers organised by hospital discharge team.
I understood that they would come in the morning to help you get out of bed and get washed and dressed and get you something to eat.
I came out of hospital yesterday and I got a phone call after 9pm to say they were running late and would not come until after 10pm.
I was exhausted, so told them not to bother.
My partner is partially sighted and has breathing problems so I expected they would take the strain off him. But after waiting all morning for them he managed to fill a bowl with hot water and I managed to take off my dirty nightdress and wash myself in the bed. I can't get to the toilet as my knee is fractured and ligaments are torn, so using Shewee and pot from side of bed.
He has to manage to make something to eat for himself so he gave me some toast.
Finally arrived at 12:30pm but nothing for her to do.
Then another arrived to get me a sandwich 45 mins later
But had nothing to make sandwich with, so told her she was not needed. Then almost straight away another one arrived, again did not want food and did not want or had not used commode.
If this is all they do it is pointless them keep coming.
My partner still has to somehow get food for himself, which I normally do for him. Need help with what he can't do, things like changing the bed and putting washing in, somehow washing my hair etc. They don't seem to do, and I don't want to live on toast and sandwiches as too much bread upsets me.
I am 68 so not normally in need of care and in fact care for my partner in many ways although he can wash, dress, etc.
I am just so confused as to what they do and when.

Georgesgran Wed 31-Aug-22 13:09:14

Oops - does no-one read??

Georgesgran Wed 31-Aug-22 13:10:21

I know recent posters are trying to be helpful with advice - but a year out of date.

Esmay Wed 31-Aug-22 15:28:58

Oops !
Thanks Oopsadaisy !

Caleo Wed 31-Aug-22 19:54:26

I never look at the dates as I presume the website manager does not post the inactive topics.

Esmay Thu 01-Sep-22 10:03:57

I ought to wear my glasses !

travelsafar Thu 01-Sep-22 10:46:58

I had recent experience of the rehabilitation service after having hip replacement. The first two weeks was a bit hit and miss but finally someone from SS came to see me and between us we sorted out what was needed and at what time. The service finishes at the end of this week and was completely free of charge for that period. It is listed on the NHS website and says if you have had an operation or recent stay in hospital you are entitled to it along with 3 weeks of free meals on wheels which included... a hot lunch and dessert and a tea time bag containing a sandwich, yog or cake.... if you meet the criteria. I didnt need that. My issues were because i had op in a private hospital under NHS. If i had been in my local hospital apparently the discharge team visit the day you are discharged or the next and set all these service up for you. I count myself very lucky to have received it as live alone and it was great to know someone calling in everyday. Hope this info helps someone out.