Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Struggling with my mums carers

(31 Posts)
Bel2109 Wed 29-Sep-21 01:21:46

So my my has 2 Carers 4 times a day and I live with my mum and the problem I'm having is lack of respect. They leave things a mess after they have finished caring for my mum, they send Carers who do not understand basic English which is difficult for my mum. They also send new staff to shadow bit they do not ask my mums permission they just send them here which my mum hates being watched by strangers, when she complains all they say is well how are the new staff going to learn if you don't let them watch!. What I find difficult is they come in and do not greet me just walk straight past me and recently came in arguing with me about the fact I complained as I didn't want them putting the aprons they have been using to care for my mum into my kitchen bin unwrapped. They also leave used gloves laying around and faeces on the floor in my mums room which I have to tidy up. They have also left the front door wide open when my mum was upstairs bearing in mind she is confined to a wheelchair and can't move unaided. They have also left our key lock wide open on several occasions and left the tap running upstairs which oiled our kitchen and electrics. The thing that annoyed me is to come into my house shouting and arguing with me is totally disrespectful. My mums gets frustrated with them at times but is overall happy with them it's just me that seems to have the issue. Even the owner came in the house and left and both times totally ignored me and that's there leader so to speak! I've had an issue with medication where the carers gave my mum less of a certain medication over a period of time and I got the evidence on CCTV but the two carers involved denied they reduced my mums medicationand because the MARS chart was signed showing no changes there was no evidence to prove they did it but this particular medication was to treat nerve pain in my mums mouth and gradually the pain got worse. When the care manager came she started my mum back on normal dose and her pain improved. So my suspicion is they lied but no concrete evidence and this particular carer the manager thinks the sun shines out of her ..

multicolourswapshop Thu 30-Sep-21 09:10:20

BEL2109 I would report this error immediately to the care provider and I would hide the medication until you're around to give it to your dm if that’s what will help you to feel safe carers in Scotland shouldn’t be administering medication to their patients unless they’ve has training. All the best

Skydancer Thu 30-Sep-21 10:06:24

We had this problem. One lot of carers were as you describe. We changed agencies and it was much better. I specifically stated no gloves or equipment in our inside bin. It had to all go in the outside dustbin. I complained they left early. The agency denied it as the carers obviously lied on their timesheets. However I persisted. I found I had to constantly keep complaining but in the end it settled down fairly well. Don't be afraid to speak out constantly and, if needs be, try another agency. This type of work needs to be regulated and I'm not sure it is.

trisher Thu 30-Sep-21 10:19:06

Bel2109 If you are going to change your mother's care provider Google care providers in your area and look up their rating by the CQC. You can also look at the company which is providing the care at the moment and make comments about them. I would write to them first and tell them you intend to do this.
Sadly care at the moment is in a terrible state. Some of the companies providing care have been shown to be inadequate and the CQC is putting them in special measures. This doesn't really help the people who are served by that company and it is difficult to enforce anything. I know people working in the sector and some of the stories they tell are shocking. They report providers and move companies but things only seem to get worse. I hope things improve for you and your mum.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 01-Oct-21 11:16:09

I am talking now from experience, if you decide to change care providers you need to contact social services. They will then put your others care out to tender and accept the lowest bid. At this point you find out who they have in mind and google them and then discuss it with social services before they accept them. Also carers not being polite to our mum is abuse, they are not treating your mum with the respect she deserves. Also be forceful with the carers and social services to get the care your mum deserves.

Esmay Wed 31-Aug-22 11:24:09

Hi Bel ,

I'm really sorry that you going through exactly what I went through earlier this year .

One thing that's come out of it -I've stopped allowing people to walk all over me and I've become more assertive .
I've met other carers like me , who've had the same negative experiences .

Don't hesitate to sack them .
I'd record their antics !
And if you aren't happy with the next lot - sack them too !

We originally had carers seven years ago .
They were British - most of them were nice a couple weren't.
We both enjoyed their company, but whilst I was shopping my father sacked them !
He decided that I could cope !

This year , he's deteriorated .
The hospital discharged him too early and arranged carers .
They turned up before he was home .

As his meds are so complicated and change frequently and he is a nightmare to feed with his endless food fads - I do it myself .

They were extremely rude and shouted at us .
They demolished the gate post .
One Sunday , they left him for eight hours - luckily I was at home all day .
He was increasingly terrified of them .
He was readmitted and I made a complaint about them .
It fell on deaf ears .
I had to insist .

Once discharged , we had another set of carers .
At first , they seemed better and then the rudeness started .

Fury would ensue if they had to change his lower sheet .

They left the front door open , taps on , a duvet to smoulder on a light ... my father unable to reach his drinks and food .
One of them tipped half a bottle of Dettol into his washing bowl and tried to wash his back with it . His skin was bleeding .

I found myself tidying up after them
The garden waste bin was full of his nappies .Things began to disappear .

Visits are supposed to be half an hour .
I think that five or ten minutes was the maximum .
The only time that They spent longer is the time that the social worker was here and they made a great show of caring and tried to blame his on-going skin condition on me -clucking and taking photographs of it .
She comes from the same continent and considered my reservations as racial abuse .
She stayed for three hours trying to bully me into employing them .
Even when I burst into tears - she continued .

Since then , I've returned to my previous arrangement : a friend /neighbour and her three daughters of whom my father is extremely fond come in .

I also have another carer and a retired nurse to come in if needs be . They live locally .

My advice is to advertise for someone , who has experience , but no longer wants to work full time and prefers local employment .

Wishing you every good luck .