Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Residential care

(33 Posts)
Tansy600 Sat 10-Feb-24 17:45:38

My mother was placed via Social Services and identified by them as their best value home. She had to move as her sheltered living was closing. She’s nearly 97 poor sight,hearing,mobility etc
Following review they are saying they now have to do another best value search ie if a cheaper home comes up my mother may well have to move again. No one at any time told us of this process and I guess I didn’t question given I was familiar with a different process. ie placement pending permanency following review. I’m appalled such practice goes on. I put in a complaint and the letter from the area manger was in imo pretty uncaring and vague so I will went back to them copy to the director,local MP and the care home. Waiting for a response.
Going by their analogy she could be moving every 3-4 months.
This is Dorset Council has anyone experience of other local authorities doing similar?it’s appalling practice and all about money.

Jaxjacky Sat 10-Feb-24 18:42:56

You need to get her GP involved to say it’s detrimental to her health.

dragonfly46 Sat 10-Feb-24 18:44:54

This is shocking. The cheapest homes are not always the best.

Primrose53 Sat 10-Feb-24 18:49:16

dragonfly46

They are sadly, often the worst. 😢

Primrose53 Sat 10-Feb-24 18:49:52

Get in touch with Age UK

Tansy600 Sat 10-Feb-24 18:53:19

I totally agree. The home she is in is wonderful I dread to think how she might react if told she has to move.

Tansy600 Sat 10-Feb-24 18:55:19

dragonfly46

I totally agree,the home she is in is wonderful I dread to think how she might react if told she had to move.

Tansy600 Sat 10-Feb-24 18:55:42

Jaxjacky

Good point,thank you.

pinkquartz Sat 10-Feb-24 19:01:07

I ma sorry I cannot answer your query but have to say
some parts of Dorset Council are the meanest and most uncaring place.

I have experienced other counties while needing help and none were so mercenery.

I think they prioritise their pensions and early retirements.

I would try to move poor mum to another county if you can.

Katyj Sat 10-Feb-24 19:23:51

My mum went into a care home as a temporary resident in December it was evident she needed to be there 92 with poor eyesight, mobility and angina.
The social worker asked me to a meeting where she said the LA couldn’t afford the care home, it is one of the cheaper ones, and said she could probably manage in an extra living apartment. I didn’t agree she struggles to stand for longer than five minutes due to dizzy spells.
We had to wait two weeks before we heard anything. She has now been made permanent thank goodness. I hope that is the end of it. Have you got a social worker ? They seem to have the final say along with a report from the home and her GP. Good luck.

M0nica Sat 10-Feb-24 20:10:32

Speak to Age Uk and Citizen's Advice.

Yout choice of who to write to to has been well chosen.

You could also consider talking to local media: newspapers, radio, tv.

Tansy600 Sat 10-Feb-24 20:24:31

pinkquartz

I ma sorry I cannot answer your query but have to say
some parts of Dorset Council are the meanest and most uncaring place.

I have experienced other counties while needing help and none were so mercenery.

I think they prioritise their pensions and early retirements.

I would try to move poor mum to another county if you can.

That’s interesting what you say about Dorset so it sounds as if this practice is not country wide. I think any move would be very detrimental to her she has become quite frail.

Tansy600 Sat 10-Feb-24 20:26:18

M0nica

Speak to Age Uk and Citizen's Advice.

Yout choice of who to write to to has been well chosen.

You could also consider talking to local media: newspapers, radio, tv.

Yes I think this needs to known more widely it’s a very inhumane and cruel practice. I will sound out those you suggest if they don’t come back with a satisfactory response. And legal advice.

Tansy600 Sat 10-Feb-24 20:29:11

Katyj

My mum went into a care home as a temporary resident in December it was evident she needed to be there 92 with poor eyesight, mobility and angina.
The social worker asked me to a meeting where she said the LA couldn’t afford the care home, it is one of the cheaper ones, and said she could probably manage in an extra living apartment. I didn’t agree she struggles to stand for longer than five minutes due to dizzy spells.
We had to wait two weeks before we heard anything. She has now been made permanent thank goodness. I hope that is the end of it. Have you got a social worker ? They seem to have the final say along with a report from the home and her GP. Good luck.

Glad your mum is ok now. Tbh the Social Worker is not up to much. She didn’t tell us bout this process when mum went in or at review.We have no agreement to say it was short term,no copy of care plan or assessment. So I think they are probably on dodgy ground.

M0nica Sat 10-Feb-24 21:21:01

T\ansy600 This is where Citizen's Advice or Age UK will be really helpful and they will be able to let you know exactlywhat the correct procedure is and where yours fell down.

Because local authorities are so cash strapped, their social workers (these are the satff I have had dealings with) will try and skate round exactly what they are meant to do, what you are entitled to and what proper process should be.

Primrose53 Sat 10-Feb-24 21:46:26

I am just remembering past conversations I’ve had. I seem to recall that if the person concerned (ie your Mum) considers it her home after being there some time then it would be considered unfair to turf her out.

I also believe they are not allowed to ask you to top up her fees. Although they often try.
Definitely speak to Age UK.

Katyj Sun 11-Feb-24 08:53:22

Tansy It sounds as if you haven’t had much help from the SW Ours was the opposite loads of meetings e mails and form filling to do but we do live up north in a big city, I suppose that’s the difference apart from there still isn’t any money available.
Moving your mum really isn’t fair bless her it’s such a big thing at their age. Also the home should have explained the fees to you, that was the first thing ours did. We said we didn’t want to pay top up fees so we’re only shown rooms that didn’t have them. Some useful info above for you. Let us know how you get on.

Aveline Sun 11-Feb-24 09:04:01

It's very hard. A rotten situation all round. What are care homes to do if commercial rates can't be paid? Reduce staffing? Reduce food quality? Cutback on heating? Or just close down as being unviable.
I know this is harsh. I sincerely wish it was otherwise but I can see both sides of this difficult issue.

Tansy600 Wed 14-Feb-24 11:46:09

UPDATE
Email from head of locality services to basically to say mum will be staying where she is and they will be reviewing the process of Best Value searches where one has already been done.
RESULT 😊

sukie Wed 14-Feb-24 12:44:12

Wonderful news Tansy! What a relief, thanks for letting us know.

SeaWoozle Wed 14-Feb-24 12:52:48

Jaxjacky

I second this. GPs have (and should have!) quite a lot of clout when it comes to referrals regarding care packages. Neither of you need this unnecessary stress.

Grantanow Wed 14-Feb-24 13:10:14

That's good news Tansy. Congratulations. I don't think these reviews are standard practice. My late mother was not subject to one but her Council was Labour controlled.

Katyj Wed 14-Feb-24 13:44:37

Tansy600

UPDATE
Email from head of locality services to basically to say mum will be staying where she is and they will be reviewing the process of Best Value searches where one has already been done.
RESULT 😊

Brilliant news for both you and your mum. Hope you can begin to relax now.

Aveline Wed 14-Feb-24 14:33:49

Phew. So glad to hear this.

Primrose53 Wed 14-Feb-24 18:38:26

Great news.