Gransnet forums

Charities

Royalties going to Age Uk

(108 Posts)
broomsticks Mon 26-Nov-12 16:34:51

Hello. I have recently had an e-book published (traditional publisher) and it is available on Amazon for kindles.
I wrote it to cheer myself up after a grim few years trying to look after parents and friends in their nineties and either ill or with dementia.
I am donating the first year of royalties to Age Uk so if you want something silly for Christmas please have a look!
My book of Fairy Tales for the mature (black humour) is up on Amazon published by Ecanus books. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Broomsticks-Walking-Sticks-Zimmer-ebook/dp/B00A93ZK9E/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1353248657&sr=8-26
Broomsticks, Walking Sticks and Zimmer Frames, Sue Moorhouse
www.amazon.co.uk
Fairy Tales for the Mature. 'Why is it always the young and glamorous - the beautiful princesses and handsome princes - who dominate fairy tales? These fun, adult, fairy tales are written from the viewpoint of the older characters, for example Red Riding Hoods grandma, the matron of Rapunzel's boarding school and the witch in Hansel and Gretel.
Hope this link works. I'm a bit incompetent.

broomsticks Mon 26-Nov-12 16:40:56

Okay. I'll try again.
My book of Fairy Tales for the mature (black humour) is up on Amazon published by Ecanus books.[[ www.amazon.co.uk/Broomsticks-Walking-Sticks-Zimmer-ebook/dp/B00A93ZK9E/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1353248657&sr=8-26
Broomsticks, Walking Sticks and Zimmer Frames
www.amazon.co.uk]]

broomsticks Sat 01-Dec-12 09:56:31

It's selling quite well, today anyway blush so I'm hoping Age Uk will get more than a couple of quid out of it.

jO5 Sat 01-Dec-12 10:05:23

I expect they will. Loads of Gransnetters will buy it. smile Good!

annodomini Sat 01-Dec-12 10:22:35

It has such a catchy title too. It's bound to intrigue browsers looking for a good read.

JessM Sat 01-Dec-12 10:41:19

Hi there - I can't find the thread we talked on a few days ago. This is such a good idea!
Might in fact use it myself....
I posted "why did you not put it on kindle yourself" I remembered the answer as I am, this morning, wrestling with trying to get mine onto a US site called Smashwords - where you can offer books for other platforms besides Kindle.
(it is there in the health section but a few bits of formatting are not quite perfect)
Eyes now blurry.
Need to work out why my linked chapter headings etc don't all work. Well worth getting someone else to do it I think. But I have started now I will finish.
But a walk is called for to rest they eyes.

broomsticks Sat 01-Dec-12 19:22:07

Well, done coping with Smashwords. I know it a bit as my son had a book there once. I don't think I am competent enough to put it on kindle myself. I only get royalties but at least the publisher pays me and they may eventually bring it out as a paperback. What is your book called?

broomsticks Sat 01-Dec-12 19:24:24

PS My eyes are blurry too. I spent all afternoon trying to set up a facebook page for the book (I was told I ought to). I created a weird mess instead so I've deleted it, I hope. sad

JessM Sat 01-Dec-12 19:39:14

Ah deleting on FB, yes well...
Your intelligent immune system. Hoping to get the hyperlinks sorted on Monday now.

broomsticks Sun 02-Dec-12 12:12:03

Has anyone any suggestions as to where else on gransnet it would be okay to advertise this book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Broomsticks-Walking-Sticks-Zimmer-ebook/dp/B00A93ZK9E/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1354449312&sr=1-1

I don't want to be rude and annoying but I do want to make some money for Age UK (I'm having a lot of fun too smile).

The trick on Amazon is to get into the top hundred for things. This book is in the top hundred for fairy tales at present. Readers on Amazon will actually be aware of it's existence and give it a try to see if they like it.

If anyone has read it and would leave a review that would be great!

JessM Tue 04-Dec-12 09:57:11

Hi there
You are right that you need to be low key. You could perhaps do a guest blog about some relevant subject.
My head is throbbing this morning after another round of trying to get the hyperlinks working correctly in the EPUB version. Very easy way to read a book on a computer screen.
I think i might be there are last but need to do another double check.
Every time I upload something else seems to be not quite right with the table of contents linking to the chapter headings and then the jumping back to contents again. It is like computer programming - one tiny mistake, like a capital letter and your are fried.
And then there are the unwanted invisible hyperlinks that can sneak in e.g. if you cut and paste a quote...

annodomini Tue 04-Dec-12 10:06:55

broomsticks, Jess's suggestion of a blog is an excellent one. I'm about half way through your book and finding it most entertaining and very well written.

jO5 Tue 04-Dec-12 10:10:10

Our Cari has got a blog based around her book.

You could go on Twitter and talk about it too.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 04-Dec-12 10:16:00

<pops up> yes indeed this is true - blogs are a good way to go

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 04-Dec-12 10:16:40

and twitter. Definitely the way forward

broomsticks Tue 04-Dec-12 10:27:55

Great I'll see if I can look at Cari's blog. Is there a link? What's the book?
I tried setting up a facebook page for mine but ended up with a facebook mess and had to run screaming round to my son to find out how to delete it.

broomsticks Tue 04-Dec-12 14:58:22

How are you getting on Jess? I don't think I could do that formatting etc. My son did at one stage. Will you post a link when you've got the book up please?

jO5 Tue 04-Dec-12 15:08:06

Cari's blog

JessM Tue 04-Dec-12 15:30:10

Thank you for asking. It is not driving me mad, honestly.
I will prevail by the end of the day. grin

Ariadne Tue 04-Dec-12 16:24:35

broomsticks I have nearly finished your stories and I can honestly say that I have thoroughly enjoyed them. You handle the subjects very cleverly and there are some lovely small ironies lurking too. Thank you! (Have you read "Tales of Beauty and Cruelty" - another reworking of fairy tales?) Yours is its equal in every way.

Jess my thoughts are with you! I remember writing my Doctoral (unfinished) thesis and the worst bit was the editing, cutting, pasting etc. it truly does make your eyes water!

broomsticks Tue 04-Dec-12 17:10:54

Thanks for the link. Good innit? I like the photos particularly. She's a mere child of 40 though. Interesting the discussion on publication. Presumably you have to keep altering the subjects you are blogging about. It sounds hard work to me but we'll see.
Thanks Ariadne! And good luck Jess!
I'm staying on this thread. It's safer smile

annodomini Tue 04-Dec-12 17:18:04

broomsticks, it doesn't have to be an ongoing blog. We've had a number of guest blogs on single topics and there's also advice on how to write a G'net blog on this page and if your blog is as witty as your book, we are sure to enjoy it.

JessM Tue 04-Dec-12 17:20:04

I think it is there. Available on Smashwords.com for readers who use devices other than Kindle.
I was surprised how easy EPub is as a way for reading a book on a computer screen without the need for an ebook reader.
www.smashwords.com/books/view/260279
Yes it was reminiscent of trying to get my Master's thesis finally perfected and submitted. At least with epublishing you can carry on tinkering if you discover it is not right.
Are you going to finish ariadne? I worked with someone who finished his several decades after he started it and got his PHD.

jO5 Tue 04-Dec-12 17:25:30

A-hem. (whisper) The little girl is 4 years old now. ( writer was 43 and three quarters when blog started)

shock Should not have said that!

But yes. A spring chicken. smile

(did you see the pics of curly hair, followed by nit comb, followed by bottle of Gordons?) grin

annodomini Tue 04-Dec-12 17:29:42

Well, having met Cari, I know how old she is, but that's for her to tell and for me to shut up about. grin