Gransnet forums

Charities

Royalties going to Age Uk

(109 Posts)
broomsticks Mon 26-Nov-12 16:34:51

Hello. I have recently had an e-book published (traditional publisher) and it is available on Amazon for kindles.
I wrote it to cheer myself up after a grim few years trying to look after parents and friends in their nineties and either ill or with dementia.
I am donating the first year of royalties to Age Uk so if you want something silly for Christmas please have a look!
My book of Fairy Tales for the mature (black humour) is up on Amazon published by Ecanus books. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Broomsticks-Walking-Sticks-Zimmer-ebook/dp/B00A93ZK9E/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1353248657&sr=8-26
Broomsticks, Walking Sticks and Zimmer Frames, Sue Moorhouse
www.amazon.co.uk
Fairy Tales for the Mature. 'Why is it always the young and glamorous - the beautiful princesses and handsome princes - who dominate fairy tales? These fun, adult, fairy tales are written from the viewpoint of the older characters, for example Red Riding Hoods grandma, the matron of Rapunzel's boarding school and the witch in Hansel and Gretel.
Hope this link works. I'm a bit incompetent.

broomsticks Thu 13-Dec-12 21:27:03

Tweeting is definitely beyond me. It's all fun, though. The book is bouncing up and down on amazon like a penguin on a trampoline. grin

JessM Thu 20-Dec-12 11:53:25

Just finished your book Broomsticks. It is very entertaining and witty. Also clever the way you have used the point of view of the old person in each story. Loved it. I will review it on Amazon soon.
In the meantime I am doing battle with said sight. Why on earth can they not link author profile to the book? Instead you have to log in country by country and do it.
To add insult my password will not work and it does not want to reset either. Grrr

broomsticks Thu 20-Dec-12 15:05:40

Great, thanks! Yes, my author profile shot of the America to start with just when I thought I'd done really well.
Your book is somewhere on my computer. I haven't managed to get it to my kindle yet but competent people will be coming after Christmas, so with any luck they'll sort me out. Sigh.

JessM Thu 20-Dec-12 17:48:54

My problems are compounded by the fact that I seem to have created several Amazon accounts with different emails over the years. I was just going to post a short review but it got huffy with me. But the reviews you do have are brilliant! And quite rightly so.
Thank you for downloading my book.
More news on my publishing efforts tomorrow hopefully, after I have cracked the glaring spelling error.

broomsticks Fri 21-Dec-12 15:40:21

Good luck with the edits. Someone has just told me that there's an I missing in my first story. Great! Still I've just been reading an old Georgette Heyer in Arrow books and that has typos.

JessM Fri 21-Dec-12 16:34:14

You could (should, even) ask the publishers to put in a list of contents and some hyperlinks to the various stories, which would be handy for those of us who would like to re-read and select and generally navigate around. If I can do it, I'm sure they can grin

broomsticks Sat 22-Dec-12 12:02:52

Good idea. If it comes out as an actual book I'll be pushing for a cover that is actually funny and something to do with the book.

broomsticks Thu 03-Jan-13 16:49:33

I don't know how to find out how many books have sold. It bounces around between 120,000ish (bad) and 20,000 ish in the Amazon best seller list. I think selling one book moves you about 20,000 places. All very odd. confused

JessM Thu 03-Jan-13 18:58:32

I think you have to go into your account and look at the previous accounting period. Or just wait, wistfully, until a few pounds turn up in your bank account several months later. One of the tasks on my list is to tidy up my collection of Amazon logins - as a shopper there is a log in for amazon.co.uk and one for kindle... Are they same or different? Hmm?
Then there is KDP self publishing. Then if you want to set up an author profile you have to create separate accounts with .co.uk, .com and the other european ones (if you have not yet lost the will to live) . And keep track of all the passwords and which email one used.
One thing about Smashwords is that it is much more straightforward in this respect. Not sure what happens once they have distributed to "other channels" though e.g. Barnes and Noble - do they have author pages as well? (another task to add to the list - look at the other sites and find out the answer)
Have you got a new project on? I have been polishing up two lovely Welsh stories that my hopeless Welsh teacher used to tell us again and again in junior school. 4 years of welsh lessons and all we learned were numbers, about 4 songs, the national anthem and some stories.
I really enjoyed writing the one I wrote over xmas.

broomsticks Fri 04-Jan-13 10:59:49

Are they Mabinogian (sorry that's spelt wrong) type Welsh stories?
Long term I have three children's books I want to rehash and two fantasies - one has good characters and a boring background, the other has a good background and boring characters. I wonder if I can combine them grin

You just reminded me as one of my fantasies has a celtic background. I'm still a bit lethargic with the after effects of flu lingering so everything seems to much effort just now.

JessM Fri 04-Jan-13 16:49:09

One of them mabinog. the man that had a wife made of flowers. the other a south wales legend.
the mabinogion is torrid isn't it. full of rape, adultery, murder and betrayal, like the greek myths. not much of it is remotely suitable for children shock
Sorry you have been ailing. Hope you mojo returns soon. Sounds like a plan bringing those two together.

broomsticks Sat 05-Jan-13 15:22:17

Have you read The Owl Service? I think that will be the same legend. She can be either flowers or owls but the rivals always make her owls and destructive.

JessM Sun 06-Jan-13 19:43:25

Yes the Owl Service was a best selling children's book in its day. Worth another read probably. Alan Garner wasn't it.

broomsticks Tue 08-Jan-13 21:14:57

Yes, I remember doing it for a book club once and being very offended because no-one liked it except me. They nearly didn't get their coffee and biscuits grin

Ariadne Tue 08-Jan-13 21:18:38

Oh, I loved "the Owl Service" - I deconstructed it in my MA exams. Haven't a clue what I'm talking about now, but I did! "The past is another country; they do things differently there." So true.

broomsticks Wed 09-Jan-13 11:10:47

True. It's like Lord of the Rings. I read it over and over in the '70 and then not again until just before the films came out (oddly). I started off thinking I'll never get into this and then it got me again. I reread the Owl Service not long ago. It's so clever. I can see it would make a good thesis subject.

broomsticks Thu 24-Jan-13 17:09:27

Broomsticks, Walking Sticks and Zimmer Frames is going to be a paperback too.
Yeehah!

annodomini Thu 24-Jan-13 17:13:26

Congratulations, broomsticks. smile

broomsticks Thu 24-Jan-13 17:17:27

Very excited. It's on the Ecanus Publishing face book page ( they haven't actually bothered contacting me to tell me, a friend saw it, but I ain't complaining)

broomsticks Thu 24-Jan-13 17:18:14

And thank you annodomini smile

JessM Thu 24-Jan-13 17:22:44

That's great *broomsticks"

broomsticks Thu 24-Jan-13 17:29:26

Thanks. I know it's silly as I mainly read on my kindle but I'm still excited at it being a real book.
I'm being mean to Ecanus too, they did sort of tell me before Christmas but I wasn't sure.

grannyactivist Thu 24-Jan-13 23:03:08

Hi Broomstick - I bought your book for Kindle just before Christmas, but forgot about it until now. Will read it next; the reviews are excellent.

broomsticks Mon 28-Jan-13 15:30:56

Thanks grannyactivist!

I wish someone would buy it now! For some reason the price has gone up and it's not selling over the last weeks or so.
Come to think of it, you probably don't want to buy it now the price has gone up. grin. Still very cheap, of course!

annodomini Mon 28-Jan-13 16:31:38

I've been telling my U3A writing group all about it and my co-coordinator is now reading it. I'll see who else I can persuade/coerce.