Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I too old for jeans?

(102 Posts)
dorsetpennt Sun 15-Apr-12 09:59:32

I love my jeans - I have four in various blues, one black pair, one grey pair, one brown pair and a really good make of white jeans. I did say I like them. They seem to fit me well and suit me. I have nicer trousers for going out, various crop trousers - in fact one pair in denim. I don't want to give them up - my BFF wears them too and she like me is 67 years old. We say we can see us in the Rest Home [God forbid] wearing them. I don't wear shorts - in any style - I don't think it's fair to impose my old legs to the world. So Gransnetters what do you think?

Anagram Sun 15-Apr-12 20:39:34

I haven't worn shorts for about 50 years but wouldn't be without my jeans! I wear smart trousers for work (occasionally skirts), and like to have a different look for the weekends. I find M&S fit me the best, as their size 12s are quite generous around the waist, where I need it. 14s are too baggy round the thighs.

Oldgreymare Mon 16-Apr-12 00:20:57

Greatnan I like things ( knickers, jeans etc ) to come up to my waist too and find M&S Per Una Roma fit the bill, or should I say fit the bottom?

I have a friend who swears by Brax jeans but they are too expensive for me.

I gave up wearing jeans as I thought I was too old for them ( and we were not allowed to wear denim where I taught) but started wearing them again and haven't looked back. Maybe I should.... does anyone remember the Maureen Lipman comment? ' I thought I looked O.K. in leggings until I saw my back view'. (That was when I gave up leggings too!)

absentgrana Mon 16-Apr-12 01:38:31

Jeans are my everyday wear - I have about 10 pairs, all bootcut, mostly from Next, size 8 or 6, long if possible but can wear regular. I also have skirts, dresses, smart trousers and the odd posh frock - covers all contingencies. I reckon short shorts and/or hot pants and mini skirts look fairly mutton-dressed-as-lamb on over-fifties, however good the legs. Otherwise, pretty much anything else goes, including leather and denim jackets. Wear what feels comfortable and suits your lifestyle.

Ariadne Mon 16-Apr-12 06:55:42

What if one is short and, um, curvy? Doesn't a biggish bum look rather awful in jeans? And don't the waistbands feel uncomfortable?

I ask, of course, purely in the name of research!

mickey Mon 16-Apr-12 09:17:02

I love my jeans-best pair are black with sparkly bits at the bottom. Next petite range fit me best--and you don't have to wear tights.I hate my bare legs.

nelliedeane Mon 16-Apr-12 09:27:53

I wear jeans all the time I prefer the indigo ones and wear slightly bootcut,
I also have white ones to wear with longer floaty tops for summer parties,in summer linen tousers black and white and sometimes that earthy green camoflage colour [ think you know the colour], leggings in winter youwith a tunic or jumper and to the knee boots,scarves and accessories balance you out,Deni jacket and maxi dresses,I HATE tights with a passion as they dig round the waist and then create a blobby bit in the middle,Have a denim skirt just on the knee sits on hips wear with boots lacy black tights...yes I know I hate them sometimes they are a necessary evil and boots .....I am a curvy very small size 16, wear your jeans they are practical and an accepted item of clothing,fitted jackets over longer t shirts/jumpers hide a multitude of sins,dont dress down to hide your age but accentuate your style.....Ariadne there are styles that have an elasticated bit in the waist to give in the waist,if you have access to shops try some styles a good fit can help shape your bum [and give you a booty wink and you can balance out your top bits,and is the biggish bum in fact a perceived biggish bum..or an actual biggish bum grin.

Charlotta Mon 16-Apr-12 14:37:34

As to leggings and short skirts on older women my DD2 said 'its not the legs or the behind, it is the face!
Jeans are not like that. they suit anybody, Today's jeans are better fitting with elastic woven in the fabric and they look right for most occasions.

HildaW Mon 16-Apr-12 16:34:54

Carlotta, so agree with you...jeans are good on any age but the leggings thing is dire. Saw some on a lady the other day...her whole looked was ruined by leggings on scrawny legs...yes there is such a thing as too thin! Skinny legs on a young girl is fine but once you can see the legs go in above the knee its not elegant, its gaunt. She would have looked so much smarter in well cut jeans.

Supernan Mon 16-Apr-12 16:48:20

Love my jeans. Until I read this thread I have never thought about the age thing. I like my shorts - not short shorts - but comfortable shorts. I hope I never think I am too old to wear what I am happy wearing.

Gally Mon 16-Apr-12 16:57:50

I wear jeans every day come rain or shine - in fact I'm surprised they aren't surgically attached to my legs grin

gkal Mon 16-Apr-12 17:02:26

Jeans may be lazy but I'm a lazy person anyway. I live in blue jeans, for dog walking, shopping, travelling...black ones if I want to look neater, white ones with a long floaty shirt in summer. I have "generous" hips blush (being kind to myself here) and feel very dull wearing draped fabrics over the hips. Denim defines and controls so much better and jeans worn below the waist are comfy. I love skirts on others but have become almost a non-skirt person myself, not sure why. Leggings can look lovely under skirts actually. There are women and men in their 80s wearing jeans in my village. I hope that will be me when/if the time comes.

petallus Mon 16-Apr-12 17:16:20

Just lately I've been feeling guilty that I only ever wear jeans. After reading this thread I feel reassured. Jeans and baggy linen trousers are what I feel my best in.

DavidH22 Mon 16-Apr-12 18:04:15

Wear what you like and are comfy in. B.....ks to the world. Not in the acronyms list.

granjura Mon 16-Apr-12 18:06:41

Another great + for jeans, is that they soon tell you if you've put a few pounds on. When my jeans get uncomfortable, I know what to do! LOL.

HappyNanna Mon 16-Apr-12 19:05:03

I love wearing jeans and wear them most days. I keep the dark colours for everyday use and although I have some white ones, I must confess I would only wear them on holiday.

Anagram Mon 16-Apr-12 19:08:27

I would never wear white jeans! And I'm not overweight. How strange - I've never even considered it, although I wear jeans in all shades or blue and black.

Grossi Mon 16-Apr-12 19:37:25

On a Don Williams record my sister and I used to listen to the song called Amanda has a line: Now I'm crowding thirty and still wearing jeans.

I always wondered if that meant that he thought thirty was too old for jeans?

NelaBligh Mon 16-Apr-12 22:29:30

I have been wearing Levis since 1966. Always had at least 6 pairs on the go. As they fall into disrepair I recycle them. My daughters have enjoyed the results of our recycling sessions. I am over 60 and do wear cut of jeans during the summer each year I say this will be the last and have a secret desire to become a lady and put the Levis in the bin. But each year they come out again. I have a very nice pair of dungarees and a pinafore dress that were Levis jeans at some point (the shop in Regents Street sometimes have some retro designer items at a price)
so I can ring the changes. I love a new pair but love them even more after many washes and they begin to fade .. as I am now

grannyactivist Mon 16-Apr-12 22:43:37

I didn't wear jeans until I was almost thirty as they were too expensive for me; my sisters then gave me several (2nd hand) pairs and I felt really quite fashionable as I lay flat on the bed to get my first ever pair on. I don't recall ever buying brand new jeans as there are always so many pairs in the charity shops, but I now have about five or six pairs. Just recently I've started wearing dresses again though as it's so much easier to slip on a single garment than faff about finding separates.

bagitha Tue 17-Apr-12 06:51:04

I've never found jeans comfortable. What am I doing wrong?

absentgrana Tue 17-Apr-12 07:34:04

Buying the wrong size bags?

Butternut Tue 17-Apr-12 07:51:39

When did you last try on a pair, bagitha? The materials now have all sorts of stretchy stuff included. Having said that, I have found the trying on and finding the right fit/cut/comfort level a marathon event - and one not for the faint-hearted! grin

bagitha Tue 17-Apr-12 08:16:35

Hmm. I think it must be me who's the wrong size wink! I recently bought two pairs of what I suppose are jeggings — stretchy denim material, flat front waist, elasticated at the back, no zips, no pockets, no tabs, no fuss. They fit fine and are very comfortable but so COLD! Great for working (physical, not mental) in, but chilly the rest of the time, except in hot weather, I suppose, but we don't get much of that.

Yes, butty, I daresay I could find some to fit if I was prepared to spend the time looking and trying on, but I'm not prepared to do that. I guess I'm one of the faint-hearted in that respect. I'd need to take a very patient friend with me on such shopping trips and would need frequent teashop stops!

Then there's the fact that "everybody" wears jeans. That puts me off too.

Butternut Tue 17-Apr-12 08:20:33

grin, grin bagitha

HildaW Tue 17-Apr-12 09:28:48

Heels teef Baggy, fink yer missing the point.....those that wear jeans all the time do so because they are comfy and feel 'right'. One does not wear them if they feel wrong. I always think a decent jean looks a lot smater than leggings etc but I too am 'generous' (lardy arse in truth) and find that there is only one cut of jean that fits me (M&S 'boyfriend)- am better in cargo style but fashion being the fickle thing it is has decided they are not 'in' so there are less about to be bought.
Any way enough of this ramble - wear what you think looks good but most of all wear what is comfortable and works for you. sunshine