Gransnet forums

Chat

I have just heard on the Radio............... .

(47 Posts)
iamjingl Fri 20-Apr-12 09:34:08

that today is Global Counter Culture day.

Apparently you should do something, well, counter to the usual.

The vicar on the radio suggested being nice to someone who doesn't like you much.

Hello Greatnan. I really love you. smile xxx

imjingl Sat 21-Apr-12 11:25:03

Anagram that's exactly right. And petallus. smile

bagitha Sat 21-Apr-12 11:30:49

Ah. I thought the sting was that she didn't mean it and was only saying it to be sarcy. Besides, the poster mentioned has never made any show of not liking jings; she has just argued back.

Anagram Sat 21-Apr-12 11:38:36

Those things are often a matter of perception, bagitha.

granbunny Sat 21-Apr-12 11:40:50

you lot deserve each other. and i think it should be 'tail', not 'tale'.

as i don't intend to leave, perhaps i deserve you...

bagitha Sat 21-Apr-12 11:41:46

Indeed they are. Both ways. Print is more difficult to interpret than face to face interactions and even they sometimes have their problems.

bagitha Sat 21-Apr-12 11:44:12

granbunny, ?

This is a perfectly good humoured discussion as far as I'm concerned, ironing out the difficulties of understanding something that is open to different interpretations.

Anagram Sat 21-Apr-12 11:46:02

Well, if we're going to be pedantic, granbunny, what about the 'it's'? grin
You're right, you probably do deserve us, and we you! wink

bagitha Sat 21-Apr-12 11:50:47

anagram smile [rather naughty smile, actually!] wink

Carol Sat 21-Apr-12 11:51:05

I have found that being nice to someone who really doesn't appear to like you is a very powerful way to deal with it. I'm not referring to anyone on here, just talking generally.

I remember years ago, when sent as a temp to do some data processing work for a small company (I was only 20), and a very bitchy young woman spitefully asked me 'Why do you work for an agency? What do you do if you go somewhere and they can't stand you?' I replied 'Thank goodness that doesn't happen. Most people are as nice as this lovely office.' I caught two members of staff silently mouthing 'thank you!' out of the corner of my eye. I was well looked after for the two weeks I worked there. smile

jeni Sat 21-Apr-12 12:14:06

I must say I'm rudest to people I like and icily polite to those I dislike. My friends know this and get worried if I start being very nice to them. Suspicious lotgrin

glammanana Sat 21-Apr-12 12:26:53

I am nice to everyone as life is too short to be anything else,the only time I turn is if someone upsets me with regard to my DCs or my DGCs.

nanachrissy Sat 21-Apr-12 12:32:47

Jeni I'm exactly the same!

When I was at work if anyone talked down to me they got the full force of my charm (which was quite considerable at the time!! wink )

jeni Sat 21-Apr-12 12:33:46

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

bagitha Sat 21-Apr-12 12:55:48

My best ever teacher used to say "Beware of charmers!"

Carol Sat 21-Apr-12 12:59:28

Don't get it - I'd rather be nice where I possibly can, assertive and to the point when I need to, and then people don't have to interpret whether sarciness is pleasant banter or spite. For me, it backfires at some point when people fire rude remarks at each other. Other people can get away with it, but I can't. smile

Carol Sat 21-Apr-12 13:01:06

That one crossed with bags - was talking about being rude or icy smile

imjingl Sat 21-Apr-12 13:04:13

I'm too knackered after this lot to get away with anything.

I'm going down the pub out to get some lunch.

granbunny Sun 22-Apr-12 20:38:12

hmm. i made no comment at all about spelling or grammar.

bagitha Sun 22-Apr-12 21:43:16

granbunny Sat 21-Apr-12 11:40:50
"i think it should be 'tail', not 'tale'...."

Isn't that a comment about spelling?

granbunny Sun 22-Apr-12 21:53:08

my apologies, bagitha, you are correct.

the mean comment which so irked me was 'I might, just might, accept jingl as someone who's posts are valid. On occasion.'

that upset me quite a lot.

granbunny Sun 22-Apr-12 22:40:04

sorry, petallus! correcting spelling is not really my thing...a blip, due to my distress, i think. most unlikely to happen again. my apologies.