Gransnet forums

Chat

Our Coffee Culture

(48 Posts)
dorsetpennt Sat 16-Jun-12 17:36:36

The first time we came back to England when I was 9 years old I remember my Canadian father lamenting the fact that one couldn't get a decent cup of coffee here. We came back on 2 other occasions and he again commented on the very good cup of tea but appalling coffee. Of course there were exceptions. A good French or Italian resturant might serve a decent coffee. Even a decent hotel like the Savoy etc. I do remember coffee bars with their noisy Gaggia coffee machines where one could have a capuccino or frothy coffee.[If you lived in a small village or town these weren't available]. When I was twelve years old a friend and I were allowed to go for a coffee on Friday nights,home by eight of course. We used to have two coffees and one rumbaba and two forks please. This being a matter of huge amusement to my wonderful grandfather. On my birthday he treated us to two rumbabas - but it wasn't so much fun. Most resturants and cafes served up instant coffee and this apparently was awful - my father said that we couldn't even serve up a decent instant coffee!! I do remember the shop on the high street that served up deli type meats and 'foreign' food. They also had a drum of coffee roasting away in the window giving the high street a glorious smell. Now even the most ordinary cafe will have a coffee machine. However, the downside in a serve-yourself will have long queues due to the fact that your coffee is being made. But I love this coffee culture, you can pop in on your own with a book or a paper and spend ages over your Americano or latte. Friends meet up for long conversations and arguements, or you can grab a take-away latte if you prefer. I like tea but I -love- coffee.Dad would have loved it.

johanna Tue 19-Jun-12 22:28:09

Hi dorset
Do the same myself. I put a holder with a filter paper - Melitta -on a cup. Then I fill that with coffee. Press the coffee down, and then moisten it for a second. Then add your boiled water .Pretty pathetic really but that is what works for us.
Although it is very difficult to know what one would like, the 100% Arabica is a good bet, in any brand of coffee.

Bags Wed 20-Jun-12 06:35:41

So, if filter coffee made from ground coffee beans is real coffee (and I always thought my coffee made in a jug, and DH's coffee made in a cafetière were real coffee too), I don't understand why you asked where one could buy real coffee, johanna (see your post 16 Jun 22:40) confused. I'm drinking a brew of fairtrade Colombian at the moment which tastes like real coffee to me. In fact, the coffee I make for myself is the nicest coffee I have. Sometimes we buy it already ground; sometimes we buy beans; it partly depends on what the shop has in stock.

Maybe it's just like tea and people have different 'tastes' for coffee.

I agree about instant. It's not the same species of animal (like most 'instant' things).

Butternut Wed 20-Jun-12 07:04:34

......drinking Malongo Arabica (AB) coffee this morning..... La Tierra (savoureux et harmonieux) - made with filter and jug. I cup per morning. I keep the tin in the fridge. I drink it straight away - doesn't taste so good if it's kept hanging around.

Mamie Wed 20-Jun-12 07:20:26

I think I said before on another coffee thread that in the UK, Monmouth is the one for me. Here in France I buy an organic Mexican Arabica. Johanna, if you can't find a good place in the UK to go for a coffee, then you must go to Tunbridge Wells and you will be spoilt for choice.

jeni Wed 20-Jun-12 08:16:17

Whittards Italian this am for me!

Bags Wed 20-Jun-12 08:46:48

Whittards have plenty of choice. You can even buy from them online.

Bags Wed 20-Jun-12 08:47:31

And they'll give you a refund if it's not up to scratch. Can't do better than that.

jeni Wed 20-Jun-12 09:40:23

I do buy on line as its easier for me!

johanna Thu 21-Jun-12 22:08:11

bags,
I asked where one could buy A real coffee, as a choice of drink in a public place. confused

Bags Fri 22-Jun-12 06:10:01

OK, johanna smile. I did notice that but was puzzled by the question because I don't have any difficulty buying a real coffee when I want one.

veronica Fri 22-Jun-12 07:56:19

For most of our married life (nearly sixty years) my husband would grind the roasted coffee beans for our breakfast coffee and the coffeewould be made in a Cona Coffee machine. Do any of youj remember them? They made excellent coffee.

dorsetpennt Fri 22-Jun-12 13:41:16

veronica was the Cona Coffee maker the one with a glass jug and a glass bowl fitted on top with a funnel leading into the water. You would put the coffee in the bowl - boil up the water which would rise with the heat from the jug into the bowl. Then slightly cooler, the water would ease down into the jug leaving the coffee dregs in the bowl. One or two would escape though. I bought mine from Habitat in 1968 with some wedding vouchers.

jack Sun 24-Jun-12 09:02:53

M&S Lazy Weekend ground coffee is good - made in a cafetiere. All those expensive coffee machines that take up half your kitchen space are a complete waste of money. But instant coffee doesn't get a look-in in our house. Ditto tea bags. We like loose tea (Earl Grey, Assam and Darjeeling) and tea pots with filters so the tea is brewed but never stewed. brew

goldengirl Sun 24-Jun-12 18:34:12

Talking of filters, where's a good place a nice tea pot - not a glass one - with a filter? John Lewis couldn't oblige much to my surprise and Whittards had a very limited choice mostly spotty which I didn't fancy.

Annobel Sun 24-Jun-12 18:40:47

I've had several nice Chatsford ceramic teapots with filters from Whittards over the years. I'm surprised that they couldn't oblige. Have you looked at their web site? They have quite a few designs and very few of them spotty!

goldengirl Sun 24-Jun-12 18:45:04

As someone who is always surfing the net I never thought to try online blush. Thanks, I will.

johanna Sun 24-Jun-12 18:52:42

Look what I found.

www.coffeejudge.co.uk

It is good.

vegasmags Sun 24-Jun-12 19:53:27

I use Illy coffee and one of those little Italian pots on the stove top. I then dilute the resultant brew with hot water and hot milk. I'm not much of a tea drinker, except if I'm feeling unwell.

My local pub makes great coffee at a very reasonable price and they also stock an interesting selection of soft drinks. I wish more pubs would do this so that when it's your turn to be designated driver you don't have to settle for watery coffee or diet coke.

granjura Sun 24-Jun-12 21:16:40

Such a shame that most coffee shops these days are from 2 big chains. BTW I really don't like bitter Starbucks coffee, and the fact that a regular is about the size of a swimming-pool. Wherever I go, I try to find a small independent coffee shop - much better service and nicer home-made cakes, etc.

I just hate the way all the towns in UK are just becoming clones - same fashion shops, same coffee places, same restaurants even (yes I like Carluccios, but I really do not want all towns to become the same). Support your local independent cafés, restaurants and shops.

granjura Sun 24-Jun-12 21:17:58

At home we use a Senseo coffee machine, with Carte d'Or coffee bags. The great thing about those is that they can go straight onto the compost heap, and taste good too.

nanaej Sun 24-Jun-12 21:34:20

Here Here granjura I won't use chain coffee shops..we are lucky to have 2 or 3 independent cafes in town which I prefer to use.
Just heard a Tesco Express may be coming to our town right next to a small independent general corner shop which won't last. So sad..they are a lovely family and it will be sad if they lose their livelihood... we have Sainsbury and Waitrose within walking distance of the proposed site so we are not short of a supermarket.

dorsetpennt Sun 24-Jun-12 22:54:42

granjura I too hate all the cloned shops - and coffee shops like Starbuck, cups far too big that isn't how coffee should be taken - Costa, Nero etc. We have a tiny coffee bar chain here three shops spread over the area. The decor is wonderful and quirky, a talking point whilst one drinks their really good coffee and read their copies of the Indie,