Gransnet forums

Chat

Olympics

(425 Posts)
Nonu Fri 27-Jul-12 16:25:19

Hello all , don"t know if this has been covered and I missed it , who do you think will light flame tonight ? Steve Redgrave for me , bit short notice I know

Elegran Sat 28-Jul-12 12:56:39

Wasn't it a stunt double who played "the queen" ?

I know a lot of foreign papers think it was really her, but at 86? I doubt it.

Good for her for going along with the joke though.

Greatnan Sat 28-Jul-12 13:03:49

Yes, it was a male actor who played her part, but she did the bit with 'James Bond' in the palace herself. It was the first time she had ever played a part.
She is being given a tour of the site today and is meeting more athletes. Poor soul, I hope she gets a break tomorrow!

Nonu Sat 28-Jul-12 13:05:55

What about when she was a girl , didn"t she and Margaret put on shows for their parents and family

soop Sat 28-Jul-12 13:13:52

We watched until the closing of the ceremony. It was a huge success. I appreciated the quirkiness of Mr Bean and HM and Mr Bond. Loved the 'industrial revolution'...Kenneth Branagh did us proud. NHS and Mary Poppins was so well choreographed. I liked the way that the young people were given a starring role. Paul M wasn't to my liking but I appreciate that it must have pleased many spectators. When the music of 'Queen' struck up, I was leaping around the room. The caldrum was a work of art. Congratulations to every person who contributed. I am extremely proud to be British flag flag flag

riclorian Sat 28-Jul-12 13:17:47

I thoroughly enjoyed opening ceremony ( didn't expect to !) I was amazed at the whole ceremony . My only criticism is why the name 'Team GB ' ? What is wrong with 'Great Britain' ? All other teams are called the name of their country so why not us ? Oh yes there is another 'beef' , I do hope Giggs will be taken out of the squad, he is a disgrace !! Does he not realise that 'God Save The Queen' is the anthem for Great Britain , it is the overall anthem . Wales has it's own as has Scotland , Ireland and England . Having said all that I am looking forward to the games and will be cheering Great Britain all the way . GOOD LUCK TO THEM ALL !!!!!!!

dorsetpennt Sat 28-Jul-12 13:56:28

Greatnan she did look a bit glum [the Queen I mean] but maybe she was worn out. I know I stayed up to watch way past my bedtime, and at least I could get my p.j.s on and be ready to hop in. She couldn't have got to bed at 2:00am at the latest, for an 86 year old it's asking a lot. Fab evening though.

numberplease Sat 28-Jul-12 19:44:36

Love the way they had all those doctors and nurses dancing, thought they were actual performers till the announcer said.

Butternut Sat 28-Jul-12 19:46:37

Ditto, soop smile

soop Sat 28-Jul-12 20:19:52

Butter smile Have yourself a very pleasant weekend.

yogagran Sat 28-Jul-12 21:53:11

I thought that the opening ceremony was brilliant, well done everyone. As Gary Linekar said "brilliant, bizarre, bonkers and British"
I have spent nearly the whole of today watching the cycling road race, never imagined that I could get so drawn in to something like that!

goldengirl Sun 29-Jul-12 11:23:16

I loved the cauldron part of the ceremony. That was so unusual and so visually magnificent. Having the young athletes light it was such a brilliant idea. The idyll / industrial renactment I'm afraid left me cold. It was very cleverly done, but I thought it confusing. Perhaps it came across better being there. The Queen's participation was amazing. I thought at first it must be a double - and then she turned round! Brilliant. Though I noticed she was appearing to pick at her nails during the procession of the countries. It was way past her - and the Duke's bedtime and they must have been very tired. I think their age gets forgotten when it comes to special events. It was a shame that some of the athletes couldn't take part because they were in the games the following day. Overall though it was an absolute triumph and hard to beat for the next host.

soop Sun 29-Jul-12 11:53:40

golden Loved it! flag

POGS Sun 29-Jul-12 22:13:43

It was brilliant.

Let's face it we all thought it would be embarrassing and it shut us all up. At last one thing our miserable press could not fault.

The Queen was a brilliant idea, she must have a good sense of humour or she would have simply said 'no'. The couldron was absolutely inspirational and who knew what the copper pods were for until the torch set it alight.So much crammed in I am going to watch it again as I did not get the London bus bombing tribute for example. So off the wall.

Listening to the many ordinary volunteers who took part in it was really nice too and makes you remember the intended spirit the games should hold. It showed that when the people of Great Britain want to they can live and work harmoniously, enjoy being part of Great Britain and the fact most of them were volunteers was astounding. They will all have lovely memories I'm sure. Unbeleivable so many people kept it secret but I'm glad they did.

Annobel Sun 29-Jul-12 22:19:32

Spectacular, moving, ingenious, inspirational.

Marty Mon 30-Jul-12 08:19:38

Yes, It definately would have been better to see it live. It all looked rather confusing on the tele. Must be getting jaded because my husband and I both thought the first half hour of the opeing ceremony was pretty awful. Managed to stay up as far as the 'c's and BH made it to 'Mali'. Loved Mr Bean.

Oldgreymare Mon 30-Jul-12 09:12:51

Totally agree with Soop's post of the 28th. I thought the choice of the 8 people carrying the Olympic flag was brilliant too, and Muhammed Ali, and the 'cauldron' moment was inspired BUT Paul Dodd/ Ken Mc Cartney..... why??????

Nonu Mon 30-Jul-12 09:32:32

Well done Team gb yesterday flag

Lilygran Mon 30-Jul-12 12:02:21

First time Her Maj ever appeared in public in a dramatic role but those of us who used to read 'Crawfie's' weekly column in Woman's Own (or was it Woman?) in the 50s will remember that she was known as an enthusiastic and talented player. There used to be a photograph every so often of her as Principal Boy and HRH Princess Margaret as Principal Girl in a Buck House panto. Anyone else remember those magazines? Highly educational and very proper.

JO4 Mon 30-Jul-12 12:50:56

Some pictures of the princesses performing here smile

Nonu Mon 30-Jul-12 13:00:16

JO4 just clicked on , liked them smile

Lilygran Mon 30-Jul-12 13:46:28

Thanks, JO4! I note the website says 'Just revealed'! Means 'I didn't know about it' in Journalese.grin

Daisyanswerdo Mon 30-Jul-12 14:50:30

Watching the equestrian cross-country. I wish the spectators wouldn't whoop and shriek all the time, the horses must hate it. Isn't it something new? I'm sure they used to just clap enthusiastically. Horses have fallen today too - I know the ground is slippery, but could they have been scared by all the shrieks?

Grannylin Mon 30-Jul-12 15:29:38

Watching our local Tom Daley and bursting with pride!

Grannylin Mon 30-Jul-12 16:05:10

Ah!he tried so hard, sad still always the individual dive later

merlotgran Mon 30-Jul-12 16:14:53

So awful to just miss out on a medal sad The Equestrian team are doing really well though grin