Gransnet forums

Chat

Is your glass half full?

(83 Posts)
kittylester Thu 23-Aug-12 10:03:11

Yesterday I went to visit my Mum who (this time!!!!) accused me of being too damned cheerful and said 'I can't stand people whose glass is half full' confused Is your glass half full or half empty?

I've told this thread to try to behave if I let it go out on it's own grin

Littlenellie Thu 23-Aug-12 10:09:56

Definitely half full....sunshine ,my mum was also a half empty kinda gal,usually after a visit the only thing half empty was my bottle..hugs kitty been therexxflowers love nellie

Notsogrand Thu 23-Aug-12 10:17:37

My glass is usually three quarters full kitty.

Brimming over at the moment though...just had a call from 16 year old twin grandaughters who between them have achieved 2 x A* grade, 14 x A grade & 5 x B grade at GCSE. So proud!

I would take 'too damed cheerful' as a compliment kitty. Have a lovely day!! sunshine

Butternut Thu 23-Aug-12 10:25:42

Notso - Every reason to be full to the brim! Congrats. to those twins. sunshine

NfkDumpling Thu 23-Aug-12 10:31:42

It was three quarters full when I set out this morning to walk DD's dog who's staying with us while DD is on holiday. It was half full after I'd spoken to my mother on the phone (it usually goes down then) and it's a quarter full now since I put my ankle in a hole and sprained it and am now sitting with a bag of ice on an ankle too swollen to walk far.

But it's still a glass a quarter full, not three quarters empty. After all I didn't break it!

Kitty, Nellie, my mother is a three quarters empty person too. How about a club - Aged, Akward Relatives Group Help!

Greatnan Thu 23-Aug-12 10:37:33

Notso - those are really excellent results, no wonder you are proud.

My sister calls me 'Pollyanna' and once told me that my 'unremitting cheerfulness' was depressing! I sometimes forget that I have lost my daughter and even feel guilty for being so happy when I remember.

Notsogrand Thu 23-Aug-12 10:38:51

Hope your ankle settles down soon Nfk. Love the idea of your club...AARGH! I don't have any aged relatives but I know plenty of younger moaning minnies!

Ella46 Thu 23-Aug-12 10:41:30

Notso Brilliant results, congratulations to the twins!

greatnan Don't feel guilty for feeling happy, it is human to gradually recover,and I'm doing the same.

Notsogrand Thu 23-Aug-12 10:41:57

Someone in the family once said to me quite angrily, 'Your problem is you want everyone to be happy!

Ella46 Thu 23-Aug-12 10:43:59

I think my glass is cautiously half full, and often slopping over the edge smile

Greatnan Thu 23-Aug-12 11:03:02

Thank you, Ella. Do you think some people actually enjoy being miserable? I once heard melancholia described as the pleasure of being miserable.

AlisonMA Thu 23-Aug-12 11:11:57

Notso that is brilliant, well done to them both. I just heard that for the first year in ages the results are worse, possibly because they have been marked harder, so an even greater achievement.

Not sure anyone is going to admit to being half empty after so many positives!

I'm almost full because my DS2 and DiL2 are here for a couple of days before going off to Cornwall for a week and then coming back here. My family have the ability to make my cup run over.

Nelliemoser Thu 23-Aug-12 11:12:55

My glass is always half empty! I saves disapointment when it gets knocked over! hmm

Marelli Thu 23-Aug-12 11:13:53

I'm half-full, definitely. I used to get into trouble for laughing too much at work, and the team that I supervised were a 'laughy' bunch as well - (which is a great thing when you're working with people with certain special needs). My (then) manager sniffily informed me that we laughed so much because we had a certain need ourselves.....confused

Ariadne Thu 23-Aug-12 11:18:15

Full! Like you, Notso, because we had a call from DGD1 (the one with the Pre Raphaelite hair) and she too has had great success - all A*, A and a couple of Bs ("Even Physics, Nannie!")

DD1 and DS1's schools (both fairly challenging schools) have also improved their results and hit their targets, so no real sign of "harsh marking" just of good, dedicated teaching.

Marelli Thu 23-Aug-12 11:20:51

Such good news, Notso and Ariadne! Well done to them all. smile

Greatnan Thu 23-Aug-12 11:22:40

When I was teaching, a girl came to the staff room door and asked for the teacher 'who smiles a lot'. The teacher who answered the door turned to me and said 'It's for you'.

I have noticed a definite difference in my family members. Some of us seem to have been born happy and remain that way. Some are more sombre from birth. One of my daughters was the proverbial little ray of sunshine and the other was grizzled her way through her childhood. The same differences can be seen in my grandchildren and great gc. I believe the cause lies in the brain chemistry - some of us just have 'happy genes'. My own mother was always cheerful, singing whilst she did the chores, although to me her life seemed one long poverty-stricken grind.

I am afraid my sense of humour sometimes gets me into trouble with people who don't share it, but it has seen me through some very dark periods.
I intend to be like Elsie in the song from 'Cabaret' - 'she was the happiest corpse I've ever seen'.

NfkDumpling Thu 23-Aug-12 11:27:09

I think teaching did go through a bad spell for a while, but now it seems back up to speed again and back on track. The enthusiasm seems to be returning. Well done to everyone who worked hard, I hope they all achieve their goals. Although may have to look for a different set of posts!

Greatnan Thu 23-Aug-12 11:33:45

Well, perhaps the UK newspapers will stop claiming that the exams have been 'dumbed down' - so disheartening for the staff and students who have worked so hard to get good grades.
Physics is a particularly difficult subject, so well done to you gd, Ariadne.

gracesmum Thu 23-Aug-12 11:43:18

"Half empty or half full?"
This early in the day?grin

Greatnan Thu 23-Aug-12 11:45:12

I am afraid I am annoying in another way - I am very lively at 6 a.m. It is ironic that when I was working I would have loved a long lie-in and now I am retired I cannot bear to stay in bed after I wake.

gracesmum Thu 23-Aug-12 11:48:27

What I meant was glass??? I'm still attached to a coffee mug!

kittylester Thu 23-Aug-12 11:50:35

Well done to all the grandchildren who did so well - you must all be very proud. flowers

Gold stars to everyone who has a 'mum' or any other relative like my mum. wine often helps. smile My mum is guaranteed to knock my glass flying too. sad

absentgrana Thu 23-Aug-12 11:54:13

If it's either half empty or half full, then the glass is the wrong size!

Greatnan Thu 23-Aug-12 12:21:20

Spot on, absent. (But I do now take about one third part water with my nightly glass of wine).