Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you believe in Mediums

(60 Posts)
CHEELU Thu 13-Dec-12 23:07:25

I am so intterested in this. My daughter in law swears by her one and asks her loads of stuff, according to her she is always spot on. I went to one once and she described my life to a tee.

feetlebaum Sun 13-Jan-13 13:33:47

The ouija board - originally marketed as a game,- 'works' through the involuntary impulses, known as 'ideomotor effect' which propel the planchette.

To see this in action, have someone 'operate' it while blindfolded - the 'results' will be mostly unintelligible.

gracesmum Sun 13-Jan-13 13:37:46

Always strike a happy medium was one of my father's favourite aphorisms grin

nanaej Sun 13-Jan-13 13:44:16

grace always said in our home too!
My mother was into amateur dramatics and played Madam Arcarti in Blithe Spirit..iI can remember being fascinated by the idea of mediums as a child as a result. My father was clear that it was all 'tosh & nonsense'!! As an adult I echo my father's view.

crimson Sun 13-Jan-13 13:51:54

I used to live in a very old manor house in Cornwall and sometimes friends would come round and use a ouija board. To this day it scares me to think of how frightened I was one night afterwards. I must contact my flatmate form that time one day to ask her what she remembers of it.

Nelliemoser Sun 13-Jan-13 14:04:13

I do believe in Mediums. I am totally unconvinced that they can do what they claim.
Is that more pedantry? wink

london Sun 13-Jan-13 14:28:34

years ago my cousin and her friends had the glass out on her mothers table, when my brother walked in she said the glass moved and spelt things only he would no ,smileno i dont believe in mediums ,but my mother did x

nightowl Sun 13-Jan-13 14:59:11

A little OT, but this thread reminds me of a parents' evening for DS1 over 20 years ago when his teacher told us the class had been talking about this subject. She said they had made a 'luigi board'. OH and I were looking at each other wondering what on earth she was talking about but as she went on the penny dropped. I am still not sure what was the worst thing about this whole episode. This was a class of 8 and 9 year olds confused

gracesmum Sun 13-Jan-13 18:07:36

Goodness nanaej - so did my Mum!! The local AmDrams really fancied themselves they were called The Selkirk Players and Mum rarely got more than the odd line but this was her moment of glory!

dorsetpennt Mon 14-Jan-13 09:53:37

I'm sorry everyone it's all hokum! My son worked on a TV programme with some so called Psychics and said they were very clever. Were able to ask various questions which appeared to the 'sitters' to be an insight or a forecast of their lives. These poor people were trying to contact a deceased person who may have been murdered so obviously were very distressed. My son was horrified at how the pyschic detectives were able to tap into their grief.