Gransnet forums

Chat

Bolthole, anyone?

(167 Posts)
whenim64 Sat 19-Jan-13 10:59:07

Every now and again, I feel the need for the sanctuary of a Gransnet Bolthole. I've got the logfire going, swept the snow away from the path, and the kettle's just about to boil. Tea and crumpets, anyone? smile

kittylester Sat 19-Jan-13 11:01:20

Me please when. After I've been to the village to pay the papers and buy flowers. smileflowers

Butty Sat 19-Jan-13 11:03:31

Just made the French Onion soup, when - (dashed some brandy in too). Filthy weather today - so I'll toddle along with some later. Very warming. smile

whenim64 Sat 19-Jan-13 11:07:00

Please excuse the aroma of damp dog - my Nell has just squeezed herself in front of the fire after running under the snowy bushes. She's wet through! Bit of Febreze might disguise it blush

Bags Sat 19-Jan-13 11:15:22

Good thinking, when. I'll just have a quick crumpet with my coffee and then I'm off to archery practice.

Can I have some jam on my crumpet as well? Oh look! I,ve got some hedgerow jam in my bag that a friend made. Help yourselves.

Oldgreymare Sat 19-Jan-13 11:16:35

Yes please, when.
Just put a 'Boiling Broonie' in and about to make gooseberry* upside down sponge to go after Lobscaws (just the day for it!), so would welcome a sit down by your log fire.
I'll bring a couple of my welsh blankets for our backs.

*good crop on the allottment last year, some jelly-jammed some frozen.

Can I stroke Nell? Sadly not a dog owner (long story) so enjoy fussing those belonging to friends!

baubles Sat 19-Jan-13 11:19:17

Yes please, when I have already had hot buttered toast but tea & crumpets in front of the fire sounds wonderful. How's Nell with canine visitors? Would you/she mind my Corrie coming along?

Notsogrand Sat 19-Jan-13 11:19:33

Lovely place when smile

Just off to the post office so I'll pop back later and bring some more crumpets.

whenim64 Sat 19-Jan-13 11:20:44

Yes, do give Nell a stroke ogm. That's why she's rolled over, to have her tummy tickled.

What on earth are Lobscaws? That's a word I've not come across before.

whenim64 Sat 19-Jan-13 11:22:23

Baubles the more the merrier, so long as people don't mind the fire being blocked by slumbering pets! grin

annodomini Sat 19-Jan-13 11:26:23

Ah! Sanctuary! A buttery crumpet would go down nicely, when. Can I put my feet on the hearth next to Nell?

Bags Sat 19-Jan-13 11:27:46

Remember that winter party we had in the middle of Glen Etive? Some of us lay down with the dogs on the hearth rug grin

whenim64 Sat 19-Jan-13 11:31:48

Oh, yes! Happy days Bags smile

Butty Sat 19-Jan-13 11:50:57

Here's the pot of soup - I'll put it on the log burner to stay warm. Help yourself if you have room after eating all the crumpets dripping in butter. smile

whenim64 Sat 19-Jan-13 11:58:05

Just in time for lunch - thanks butty. Delicious! smile

soop Sat 19-Jan-13 12:34:57

Oh, this is lovely! Thank you, when. I seem to remember that Bags slid slowly from her seat beside the fire, and finished up in a tidy, lady-like heap on the mat. She looked far too comfy to disturb! Butty Real butter on hot crumpets. Now that's something special. You know what...I think that this really is the place to be. Good company and all that goes with it. I really am happy. smile

baubles Sat 19-Jan-13 12:35:51

Very restorative that was, set me up for the day. Off out now, thanks for your hospitality when

Ariadne Sat 19-Jan-13 12:38:49

Here's half an apple and raspberry pie that needs eating, and I've brought the clotted cream too. Oh, and some lovely ginger wine. Now, if we had some whisky.....I'll just have a little sit down now. How nice to have a safe place zzzzzz

Oldgreymare Sat 19-Jan-13 12:39:07

When, lobscaws (used that spelling in Wales) is a sort of meaty/soupy thingy (lots of root veg) used to be made with marrow bones in days of yore (pre BSE!) boiled for hours. I think it originated in Liverpool hence 'scousers'(?)
Oh Nell! little tummy tickle coming up!

whenim64 Sat 19-Jan-13 12:43:35

Ariadne I just happen to have.....wait a mo' I'll have to read the bottle....

Notsogrand Sat 19-Jan-13 12:44:04

Some more buttered crumpets and half a lemon drizzle cake to add to the supplies....
There were long queues at the post office with everyone stamping snow off their boots. It was quite jolly smile

Oldgreymare Sat 19-Jan-13 12:45:33

Whisky.... we have gallons I'll just nip out to fetch some ( everyone thinks the OG drinks it on a nightly basis.... he doesn't..... so he gets at least 2 bottles every Christmas*)
*Do I get the prize for the first mention of that word in 2013????? smile

whenim64 Sat 19-Jan-13 12:46:32

......here it is...Tribe malt whiskey liqueur, it's infused with honey and royal jelly. Got it at Christmas and there's nearly a full bottle left. Want to try it? grin

Butty Sat 19-Jan-13 12:53:16

Mind if I take a shot to Mr. B.? He's been out in the freezing barn cutting kindling all morning.....it'll warm him up nicely!

Grannyeggs Sat 19-Jan-13 12:53:31

Can I bring some spelt bread I have just made? I think it will be perfect with the malt whiskey liqueur, so yes please. [yumm emoticon]