Gransnet forums

Chat

Should prisons be made harsher?.

(111 Posts)
HUNTERF Thu 31-Jan-13 22:09:01

Another thought I am having is prisons are not harsh enough to deter crime.
If beds were not provided and prisons were not heated this would save money and I am sure people would not offend again if they had to put up with these conditions for months or years.
There should be nothing like TV or any other non essential items.

Frank

HUNTERF Thu 31-Jan-13 22:50:18

Nonu

I live in one of the more expensive parts of Birmingham.

gracesmum Thu 31-Jan-13 22:50:31

If a desert island, Frank they would of course be allowed their 7 records, Bible and complete works of Shakespeare you understand.

Nonu Thu 31-Jan-13 22:51:23

Frank , questions , questions , you"re poor brain MUST be reeling ?

How to cope ??????

HUNTERF Thu 31-Jan-13 22:52:13

gracemum

No. That would cost money.

HUNTERF Thu 31-Jan-13 22:53:32

Nonu

The country is in a financial mess and I am thinking of ways to save money.

Frank

Nonu Thu 31-Jan-13 22:54:24

Frank , can I be frightfully nosy and ask which part of the frightfully expensive part of Birmingham ??

moon

gracesmum Thu 31-Jan-13 22:55:42

Don't be silly, Frank you can get books and records from the library - oh, but that would involve your council tax wouldn't it. Damn. Maybe they could be sentenced to single sex exercise classes. That'd teach'em!

Nelliemoser Thu 31-Jan-13 23:01:39

HunterF Not this old chestnut again!

A big majority of those in prison would not be deterred by harsher punishment.

They probably do not imagine they are ever going to get caught, at their fraud, or drink driving, or dangerous driving. or bank robbery.

They are so desperate to get their next fix that is all they can think of.

Those in for fighting and other violence are so off their heads on strong lager they don't think at all.

They are suffering from borderline learning disability, or mental health issues. and can't make rational decisions.

They have suffered so much trauma and abuse already they don't know anything better or really care what happens to them.

We have to have prisons but I see no point in making them inhumane.

annodomini Thu 31-Jan-13 23:24:11

Well, if you're having a get-together in Birmingham, gracesmum... grin

annodomini Thu 31-Jan-13 23:24:38

Or is it women only ?

gracesmum Thu 31-Jan-13 23:32:57

It would have to be "in one of the more expensive parts of Birmingham. " of course grin

Mey Thu 31-Jan-13 23:39:08

I absolotly agree with you Hunter some people offend just to get into the comfort of a prison, I have seen programmes on it. But will anything ever change, I think not

Mey Thu 31-Jan-13 23:40:57

WHY does everyone keep having a go at HUNTER for his Threads, at least he is trying to make it intersting on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gracesmum Thu 31-Jan-13 23:41:37

Mey you are joking I hope!!!smile

Mey Thu 31-Jan-13 23:44:16

He has been bashed a bit hasnt he, he gets cained ever time he starts a thread smile and a white flag!

gracesmum Thu 31-Jan-13 23:48:16

smile - there's interesting, ridiculous and farcical - no comment!

NfkDumpling Fri 01-Feb-13 07:08:18

Seriously, I do think that perhaps the heating could be turned down a bit and meals made bland and boring and they could be made to wear denim all the time, - but that would be rather too much like life on the outside.

Perhaps if they just took away computers and tvs.

But that would lead to riots and the number of prison staff has been pared to a minimum to save money.

HUNTERF Fri 01-Feb-13 08:25:35

NfkDumpling

Taking away computers and tvs would not save much money.
If prisoners riot they could just turn water cannons on them.
They could also put them in cells on their own for about a month with no lights or windows.

Frank

absent Fri 01-Feb-13 09:23:40

Why don't we just line them all up against a wall and shoot them? That would save money and they wouldn't do it again would they?

whenim64 Fri 01-Feb-13 09:30:36

I visited a prison in Hungary where they did just that. They had a wall where the firing squad killed prisoners years ago, and kept it to remind themselves about inhumane behaviour. A gruesome sight, riddled with bullet holes. A symbol of a barbaric time.

It is a measure of our humanity and civilisation that we treat prisoners as human beings, and don't lower ourselves to behave in the way that got them imprisoned.

vampirequeen Fri 01-Feb-13 09:32:33

I love your threads, Frank. You do stir things up.

Why not go the whole way? Canvas uniforms with arrows on. Bread and water diet. Make the prisoners use the crank or the treadmill so that they work hard on something that serves no purpose other than to make them work.

whenim64 Fri 01-Feb-13 09:42:45

vq grin I have seen prisoners in Louisiana with uniforms with arrows on them, working along the interstate roads clearing litter. Prison wardens with powerful rifles patrolled alongside, pointing the barrels at any cars that slowed down.

Is that what you want, Frank? How about chain gangs breaking rocks in quarries? Mind you, the mechanised extraction of stones would be slowed to a standstill and your town hall might find themselves waiting years for building materials!! grin

Ella46 Fri 01-Feb-13 09:48:25

Frank hasn't even mentioned putting an end to women only prisons yet!

Marelli Fri 01-Feb-13 09:52:22

We have a wink emoticon - perhaps the time has come for a 'tongue-in-cheek' emoticon, too? hmm

j07 Fri 01-Feb-13 10:19:04

I think Frank knows that his original post on this thread is totally ridiculous. He enjoys winding "the ladies" up and probably imagines them giggling girlishly at his remarks.

Perhaps they do. hmm