Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Friday Etiquette

(53 Posts)
Gally Fri 29-Mar-13 06:41:05

SIL is preparing a paella for tonight's dinner. He (?) and his parents are adhering to the fish only on Good Friday rule which seems to be de riguer here in Oz whether you are a Believer, or not. The only shops open today are Bakers and Fish Merchants which are going like a fair. DD hates fish so is surreptitiously chucking in some illegal chicken bits and the kids are to have fish fingers [yuk emoticon]. I will be happy with anything so long as there is plenty of wine. I would have thought that would be banned too, but apparently not! wink

Bags Sat 30-Mar-13 10:48:12

www.jesusandmo.net/2013/03/29/cake2/

Faye Sat 30-Mar-13 22:49:40

I was surprised when living in England the local butcher's shop open on Good Friday. Good Friday was a time in Australia where everything was closed especially butcher's shops.

It is a bit different here now, but I like traditions even though I am not at all religious. Many traditions are Pagan in origin and I found this site and interestingly it mentions Persephone. Now where have I heard that name recently, was it Kittylester's new granddaughter, which is symbolic as she was born just before this Easter.