Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Friday Etiquette

(53 Posts)
Gally Fri 29-Mar-13 06:41:05

SIL is preparing a paella for tonight's dinner. He (?) and his parents are adhering to the fish only on Good Friday rule which seems to be de riguer here in Oz whether you are a Believer, or not. The only shops open today are Bakers and Fish Merchants which are going like a fair. DD hates fish so is surreptitiously chucking in some illegal chicken bits and the kids are to have fish fingers [yuk emoticon]. I will be happy with anything so long as there is plenty of wine. I would have thought that would be banned too, but apparently not! wink

Faye Sat 30-Mar-13 22:49:40

I was surprised when living in England the local butcher's shop open on Good Friday. Good Friday was a time in Australia where everything was closed especially butcher's shops.

It is a bit different here now, but I like traditions even though I am not at all religious. Many traditions are Pagan in origin and I found this site and interestingly it mentions Persephone. Now where have I heard that name recently, was it Kittylester's new granddaughter, which is symbolic as she was born just before this Easter.

Bags Sat 30-Mar-13 10:48:12

www.jesusandmo.net/2013/03/29/cake2/

Greatnan Sat 30-Mar-13 00:31:15

You have a very interesting family, Lilygran!

Elegran Sat 30-Mar-13 00:00:19

Missed out a bit "non-yeast, not non-wheat"

Elegran Fri 29-Mar-13 23:58:52

It is non-yeast for Passover.

The tenth and last of the plagues inflicted on Egypt because the Pharoah would not let the Israelites go home was the death of the first-born of every Egyptian house, but the spirit passed over those Israelite homes which were marked with the blood of a lamb, sparing their first-born. The pharoah then told the Israelites to leave at once, (cue negro spiritual - "let my people go....") which they did, not even having time to let the bread rise. They ate unleavened bread and do so annually when celebrating their escape from Egypt.

Lilygran Fri 29-Mar-13 23:19:29

Yes, Matzah and no leaven till Tuesday. Missed the Seder, MiceElf because only the Christians were here this year.

Galen Fri 29-Mar-13 23:05:50

Googled it! Seems to be unleavened bread made from any sort of flour:- wheat, barley, rye etc:
I therefore do not understand the reference to 'wheat free?'

nanaej Fri 29-Mar-13 22:48:08

unleavened bread?

nanaej Fri 29-Mar-13 22:46:30

Isn't it still Passover until Tuesday? So Matzah all week but wine to wash it down!

Galen Fri 29-Mar-13 22:42:17

That's wheat flour so presumably a wheat free meal.

Gally Fri 29-Mar-13 22:40:38

Is it something to do with flour?As in 'farine' ?

MiceElf Fri 29-Mar-13 22:37:39

Did you celebrate Passover last week Lilygran?

Lilygran Fri 29-Mar-13 22:33:38

Farinaceous.?

Lilygran Fri 29-Mar-13 22:32:51

We had a non-farinacious meal because the Jewish part of the family are here for Easter.

nanaej Fri 29-Mar-13 20:17:53

ha ha typo alert! I think I would prefer to boil the eggs and get bolied myself!
wine

harrigran Fri 29-Mar-13 19:51:00

nanaej love the idea of the Bolied eggs do you use a whole bottle of Bollinger in the pan ? grin

Ana Fri 29-Mar-13 19:30:04

nightowl wink

nightowl Fri 29-Mar-13 19:16:58

Neither fish nor meat for me tonight, the same as every other night. Life is oh so simple when you're vegetarian! smile

nanaej Fri 29-Mar-13 18:49:19

Fish for us tonight.. this is where culture and religion blend! Always fish on Good Friday as a kid so I keep it going.

Made hot x buns this morning, simnel cake on Thursday along with 2 types of Middle Eastern traditional cakes. Bolied eggs done and decorated roll on Sunday.. family brunch ..not traditional lamb though..will save that for Wednesday when brother and SiL coming for lunch! but sausage and bacon hash with French toast, fruit , yougurts, boiled eggs and the middle eastern cakes( which go well with the eggs!) and then later a high tea with other cakes!

Happy Easter winecupcake

Stansgran Fri 29-Mar-13 18:13:59

I had family here for lunch so we had a old platter of poached and smoked salmon prawns brown shrimps tuna pâté cockles and sole goujons,plus regrettably smoked mackerel With salad and new potatoes. It all looked very pretty and I wished I'd taken a photo. Easter egg hunt (I know wrong day) but family was spending weekend elsewhere and it got them some fresh if icy air. Littlest member of the family turned and hugged my knees on the way out. He said " I shall miss you"the little sweetheart.

grumppa Fri 29-Mar-13 17:43:58

Life-long allergy to fish. Spag. bol. this evening.

nonnasusie Fri 29-Mar-13 17:32:02

Not a bank holiday here either. All the shops are open as usual and people are working. The fishmongers have been busy all of Lent as even if people don't adhere to the "fish on Friday" the rest of the year they do in Lent. We always eat fish at least twice a week because we like it. My DH is an Italian Catholic so has had no meat today! Prawns and Turbot for dinner tonight (with plenty of wine). Hope everyone has a Happy Easter!!

absent Fri 29-Mar-13 14:17:28

Gally I have decided to emulate your SIL and prepare a paella. I have most of the things that I ordinarily include, although no mussels and I shall have to use risotto rice instead of Spanish rice. It's not the same but is an adequate substitute. I have to use up – or give/throw away – all my dried herbs and spices before my home is packed up in a container so this is a good opportunity to be a bit more lavish with my carefully hoarded Spanish saffron! smile

Nonu Fri 29-Mar-13 12:54:25

We always eat fish on Good friday , this evening we are having
scallops with smoked salmon and garnishing with fresh salad .
To follow , Lightly pan fried Haddock , new baby potatoes , and french beans .
All washed down with a nice Chablis .
Yummy.

sunshine

Nelliemoser Fri 29-Mar-13 12:33:23

I am hardly traditional! Ginger, Garlic and coriander spiced puy lentils with an onion and tomato relish and probably Yogurt spiced with Brinjal or Lime pickle. Served stuffed into Pitta bread with the relish spooned over. Very tasty. Keeps the Vampires away.

I had a portion tucked away in the freezer, on a make a batch and freeze half basis.