Gransnet forums

Chat

1 month and counting

(67 Posts)
absent Wed 10-Apr-13 14:53:45

Today carpets have been laid in the last of the spare bedrooms and in the dining room. When we moved in just over three years ago the latter was decorated in sludge on most of the walls and feature wallpaper with huge turquoise and shiny gold flowers on the chimney breast. I thought feature wallpaper was a hideous mistake that was had been lost in the mists of the past but it seems to be a big thing up here in the North-east. The floor was a nasty quality "oak" laminate. The room is now transformed with soft cocoa-coloured walls, aubergine where the feature wallpaper was (for practical reasons), thick and bouncy aubergine carpet and aubergine curtains. It no longer echoes when you talk. I almost want to stay. grin Just the sitting room – currently full of its own furniture plus that of the dining room – still awaits new carpet.

I have spent the day trying to work out the value of everything that is going to be shipped for insurance purposes. I am shocked to discover that I have £200-worth of ordinary storage jars in different sizes. Not only can I not remember what I paid for various sets of glasses, but many of them were presents or inherited. For example, what kind of value do I put on my mother's rather unusual art deco pearlised cocktail glasses?

Yesterday Mr absent and I carried the heaviest bedroom furniture in the world down two flights of stairs to install it, obviously temporarily, in a different bedroom. Today we are having trouble raising our arms above shoulder height and turning suddenly.

I still don't quite believe all this is really happening. Am I really going to fly away from this country and settle halfway across the world in exactly one month from today? At my age? Well, yes absent, you are and you'd better get a move on with that insurance form, income tax return and returning the dresser and sideboard to the dining room.

Watch this space (or not if it bores you).

grannyactivist Wed 10-Apr-13 15:09:44

absent we're glad to share the journey with you. smile

glammanana Wed 10-Apr-13 15:09:44

absent it seems just like yesterday when you where telling us about your expected move and now it is right on top of you, take it easy you don't want to be hurting yourself,you will soon be at the bottom of your check list and on your way.Take care and have a wine or two.

gillybob Wed 10-Apr-13 15:14:19

How wonderful Absent and is it just a coincidence that all of your colours are named after food?

My gran has a saying that might help you with your late mums cocktail glasses and that is that the price is irrelevant but the value is enormous !

glassortwo Wed 10-Apr-13 15:53:46

absent I cant believe its only 1 month sad that we wont have our little get togethers, but very happy for you to have your DD and the DGC around you. smile
I cant remember how long it is since you got news of your Visa but it seemed a long time off and here you are 1 month and you will be on your way.

celebgran Wed 10-Apr-13 16:08:30

Absent sorry not sure here is it you up sticks and going? Very best luck for it all .

Ariadne Wed 10-Apr-13 16:17:28

Hasn't the time gone quickly! You must be too busy to get excited yet, absent, but I can hear the wonder of anticipation in your post. My move was nothing compared to yours, but the results are the same - close to family for the first time ever. It will wonderful for you. smile

petallus Wed 10-Apr-13 16:52:47

absent I was quite surprised when I came back to Gransnet after my six weeks absence to see that you were emigrating.

How exciting for you; I feel quite envious!

kittylester Wed 10-Apr-13 17:43:33

absent, I'll look after those glasses for you!! They sound fabulous! We have a beautiful Georgian corner cupboard - they'd look lovely there when we open the doors wide for gatherings. If you look closely it is full of mismatched, but much loved, crystal acquired from relatives' homes when clearing out. My family think I'm bonkers but I just love beautiful glasses.

Seriously, keep plodding on - it will all happen in time - you are, after all, a woman!! wine

Greatnan Wed 10-Apr-13 17:45:35

At your age? You are a mere girl, absent!
Keep us up to date. Don't forget to eat at The Styx on the harbour at Nelson!

NfkDumpling Wed 10-Apr-13 21:45:13

Reading your opening post I find myself getting quite excited - and I'm not going! A new adventure with your family - wonderful! wine

moomin Wed 10-Apr-13 22:11:01

And that month will whistle past! Good luck with the rest of the organising, packing, shifting etc etc wink

absent Sun 14-Apr-13 16:59:16

I seem to have done panic although there is no proof it won't recur. Now I have gone into misery guts mode. I spent most of last night wide awake trying to think of a single decision made in my life where I had chosen the right thing and came to the conclusion that I had invariably got it wrong. So now I have made another – huge – decision and whatever makes me think I have got it right this time?

If I had stayed here – can I still stay here – I would have a financially comfortable old age. Not only am I spending silly amounts of money to get to New Zealand – plus cats – but the exchange rate is so awful I may have to go out on the streets with a begging bowl.

Ella46 Sun 14-Apr-13 17:06:55

BUT, you're going to be near your family aren't you absent?

Enviousamerican Sun 14-Apr-13 17:26:52

Don't forget if you have any Cornishware it's worth a lot!

absent Sun 14-Apr-13 17:30:12

Yes Ella but I don't really know them – panic, panic, deep breaths, deep breaths. absentdaughter flew off to NZ when she was 17 and she's 30 now. I'm not sure whether I even actually like the children. Certainly sometimes when I was there last year I didn't like them one bit. They probabl;y didn't like me either. Oh God – I hope absentdaughter isn't reading this. And then, indeed, there is absentdaughter who has a habit of treating me as as if I am a three-year-old with special educational needs but a remarkable talent for ironing.

Cold feet? Yeah, seriously icy.

Enviousamerican Sun 14-Apr-13 17:34:04

On a serious note Absent I can relate to how you feel.My only child lives arcoss the country from me in one of the most expensive cities in the US.If I move to be near him my cost of living would be more than doubled. but who knows! you might find a way to suppliment your income doing something you like!

Nonu Sun 14-Apr-13 17:37:40

Where does your son live Envious ?

Greatnan Sun 14-Apr-13 17:45:10

Stop it, absent Of course you are doing the right thing. You will soon get to know your daughter and her children again and it does not matter if you don't agree about everything. I have quite a few 'discussions' with my daughter, as she is less left wing than I am!
She was terrified for weeks after they had been accepted by NZ and still has some reservations about leaving some of her children and her grandchildren behind, particularly last week when Olivia was in hospital but she knows she has done the best she can for all the family.
It is completely natural to be uncertain about such a huge change in your life but once you get there it will begin to feel natural. And you will have an old friend to meet for lunch after November!

Enviousamerican Sun 14-Apr-13 17:50:57

San Fransisco but recently moved to a apartment in San Refael which is north on the other side of the golden gate bridge. It's in Merin country which is still very expensive. He is coming home for two weeks in May for our birthdays and I see him at Christmas and Thanksgiving.

moomin Sun 14-Apr-13 17:57:14

absent I'm sure you're doing the right thing - just a case of last minute nerves! I'd love to go and live near my daughter in NZ, but that would mean leaving 2 sons and 4 grandchildren (and possibly the OH !!) behind!

It's an enormous move for you, but you're just having a wobble - it'll be fine! Think of all the sunshine, scenery and wine out there! Anyway, I need an excuse to visit the South Island next time I go to Auckand wink

Enviousamerican Sun 14-Apr-13 17:57:39

But we're trying to help Absent.I agree with Greatnan.I feel once you get there and are past the point of no return you will feel much better maybe once your on the plane. I admire your courage and we can keep you strong!

absent Sun 14-Apr-13 18:05:24

moomin Yes, the wine, the wine. Keep thinking about the Sauvignon Blanc absent. It will be all right.

Of course, it's last minute nerves – but it's not helped because Mr absent is getting on them BIG TIME.

Thanks Envious smile Keep on keeping me strong.

absent Sun 14-Apr-13 18:14:00

Sorry Greatnan I'll try, I promise. And yes I am looking forward to an old friend sharing lunch with me in November.

(Note to self: Pull yourself together, you silly woman.)

celebgran Sun 14-Apr-13 18:24:06

Absent I don't know all details but if any comfort no decision is ever all right or all wrong!

Is it your only child?